P3D v2 Alpha issue in P3D V2.2

Hey everyone!

Does anyone else happen to have alpha issues in P3D V2.2? The alpha issue seems to show its ugly face when viewed from a bit of a distance. Here are a few images comparing FSX to P3D, as you can see, the grass shows the alpha issue the most.

FSX
01.JPG

P3D V2.2
02.JPG

Extra info: They're both using the following material settings and the same MDL file.

03.JPG

Note: Playing with the "Alpha Test Level" does not seem to have any affect at all. I also thought that it may be some texture bleeding, but the RGB has the appropriate alpha padding to make sure. So it's definitely not that. :(

Any ideas? Hopefully it's something obvious I've missed!

Thanks!
Russ

This is taken right out of the P3Dv2 SDK Learning Center:

Material Functionality: Z-Bias Level

In order to improve layering materials on the ground for airport ground polygons Prepar3D has implemented a Z-Bias level material setting.

Using values between 1 and -50 you can set and order the layering of your ground polygon textures above the default airport aprons, taxiways and runways. For example your taxiway markings material would be set at -10 (shown below) and your taxiway and runway materials would be set at anything lower than -10, ie. -20, or -30. This functionality works best with "No Z write" checked and I would check "No Shadow" for flat airport ground polygons. Using Z-Bias on materials with "Z write" may have mixed results.
Not sure if it's a good idea to combine veg and ground polygons in the same material.

Here's the associated images from the SDK Learning Center

Last edited:
Hey,

Unticking Z-Write Alpha seemed to fix the issues for me (from what I can tell), but this resulted in a new problem in P3D V2.2 only. The grass alpha is now sorted behind the ground poly!

Using "No Z Write" and changing the "Z-Bias Level" seems to have no effect and the grass ALWAYS seems to be sorted behind the ground poly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Russ