• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Alternate work-flow for producing this type of complex sloped flatten scenery object (Moved)

Country
switzerland
Hi Gary, You offered me an alternate work-flow (alternate to: Terrain Sculptor Pro) for producing this type of complex sloped flatten scenery object for the Akutan Harbor project.

Since the average reader cannot form himself any impression of the actual problem directly, I would like to portray this in a short summary here:

The actual problem is in the transitions from the sea to the shore-street and from the shore-street to the behind-lying landscape without having cliffs, craggy edges and distorted blendings with the surrounding Landscape.
Since the problem doesn't let itself explain alone with a simple description and since I cannot publish any pictures for legal reasons here. I would like to encourage the respective reader to look up on the following web page In order to make a picture for her- or himself:

http://www.lynden.com/knik/projects/akutan.html

to make the matter more obvious, there you will see in the bottom left picture with the excavator despicted what I am trying really to achive on a round Shore-Promenade. The roundness of the Shore-Promenade makes the matter a bit more complicated.
On a straight shore-promenade, this problem would be more simply solved by sloped flattens, a pretty straight-forward process provided in SBuilderX and Airport Design Editor (ADE)! The following two pictures provided by GaryGB, depict the result of his proposal by means of the use of SketchUp further described bellow! My original solution was based on the application of the magnificent Terrain Sculpting Program: Terrain Sculptor Pro (TS Pro) from Don Grovestine (AKA Gadget) avaiable from here:

http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?Folder=TS_Pro

Of course, beside SketchUp, also other 3D-Modelling-Programs (Blender, Gmax, 3ds Max) could also be used for that purpose. In fact, any 3D-Design-program that will produce the corresponding file-formats which can be read and be processed by the famous Swiss Army Knife for the enthusiastic Flight Simulator Designer, ModelConverterX (MCX) from Arno Gerretsen, available from here: https://www.scenerydesign.org/modelconverterx/
will suffice completely for it . In short, Garys solution is based on:
  1. Exporting Flattens from SBuilderX as ESRI-Shape-files
  2. Importing them into SketchUp
  3. Triangulate the Flattens
  4. Export as Collada (dae-file) and import into ModelConverterX (MCX)
  5. Compile in MCX as Flatten-BGL
I would like to encourage the aware reader of this forum to plunge into this matter by following this thread!

Akutan_Harbor_Sketchup_Triangulated_Imported_SHP_Lines_Polygons_EPSG-3857.jpg

and

Akutan_Harbor_Sketchup_Triangulated_Imported_SHP_Lines_Polygons_EPSG-3857_Side_View.jpg

Most of these processes are clear to me, thanks to your (GaryGB) tremendous, most comprehensive and competent advices you provide here and on other Forums.
Or lets say, the processes are theoretically very clear to me, but the practical implementation is poor! Theory and Praxis, as we all know, are two different pair of shoes.

For my Akutan Airport (7AK/PAUT) Project, I tried several methods, by utilizing 3ds Max and SketchUp to create Terrain-flattens (you will find all in the attached file).

In SketchUp I have installed so many extentions that the following saying becomes truth: "Nothing but before trees one the forest no more sees", or in German: "Vor lauter Baeumen sieht man den Wald nicht mehr!".
This in compensation for increasingly being unable to do complex things. I used to be a very profound user of: Autodesk Inventor, CATIA, SolidWorks, PTC ProEngineer, PTC Creo, Siemens SolidEdge and Siemens NX but this capabilities are more and more being lost!

In SketchUp I have used all of Chris Fulmer's (CLF), Fredo6, TIG, ThomThoms, Didier Bur and a lot other providers extentions. but perhaps you have some more I do not know yet, I would appreciate if you could mention them.

A lot of very good instructional Videos for SketchUp usage can be found here (The SketchUp Essentials):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJafTeHBrRBL9tS-S-kRbpw

from Justin Geis.

Edit:
Here are some Links for Akutan Harbor to get an overall view:

https://www.aleutianseast.org/?SEC=666617AD-3F9D-4475-AE75-27E78B6D77D0
https://www.aleutianseast.org/index.asp?sec=9eeef11c-12a2-451c-bf29-c4cdeb39e06e&type=b_basic
https://www.poa.usace.army.mil/Media/Images/igphoto/2000757885/
http://www.lynden.com/knik/projects/akutan.html
http://www.hugheshydro.com/akutan.html

End-Edit:

Attachments

• CSTTest7.rar
    1.4 MB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Conrad:

IIUC, you would like to know how I generated the examples in the above screenshots I had previously posted here:

I am looking at the various files in your attached CSTTest7.rar.

I do see that you have created a 3D model with a surface "shell".

While it is possible to use the data set from your prior thread to 'intersect' and further cut into that surface 'shell' to create the local Akutan Harbor as seen in the above screenshots, thus creating a more complex custom terrain surface, it might be best to try using the prior data set as a CVX vector sloped flatten which can be draped with custom photo-real land class imagery compiled via a SDK Resample BGL.

Again, depending on how much precision is wanted, one can use the 3D model as a CVX vector sloped flatten via MCX to blend into surrounding terrain, and as a source for flat G-Poly surface areas to conceal underlying terrain quad edge aliasing (...that displays terrain as a function of user aircraft camera distance from such objects, and which is 'inescapable' even with very high terrain grid quad resolution settings in FSX / P3D).

IMHO, blending CVX vector flattens into a surrounding FS SDK Resample-compiled terrain mesh BGL is more practical to do, as it allows a underlying terrain mesh to be used outside the immediate local Akutan Harbor "ring" structures. :pushpin:

I suggest that we initially take a look at the work-flow I used (with your data) to generate the examples seen in the above screenshots, with a goal of making not only a:

* CVX vector sloped flatten

...but also a:

* 3D model of just the immediately local area surrounding / including the Akutan Harbor to function as a surface "shell" to conceal underlying terrain quad edge aliasing.

One might think of the latter 3D model compiled into a MDL object, as a type of multi-planar non-flat G-Poly (which, if desired, is capable of displaying more Material properties than one's custom photo-real land class imagery draped onto a CVX vector sloped flatten).

If that would be of interest to you as an initial consideration, I can document the procedures used in Sketchup using your prior data set for the local Akutan Harbor as seen in the above 'worked example' screenshots. :)

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

PS: It might be best for us to 'transplant this thread into the Sketchup forum' instead of the TerrainSculptor forum. :alert:

If you copy / move your OP above, I will immediately post this reply there as well; then we can delete the original thread. ;)

GaryGB

Country
us-illinois

Hi Gary, I just copied this post to the SketchUp-Thread. But I doubt whether I did this correctly, let me please know if there is another or better solution to do this for the future.
Of course I'm very much interested how you created the pictured Akutan Harbor. You must have used CvxExtractor to create ESRI-Shape-files or Surfer BLN-files from the from SBuilderX created CVX-files.
And you must have importet them into SketchUp. I have the following SketchUp-Extentions installed to read Shape-files in SketchUp:

spirix_shapefile_importer.rbz
t4su_20171003.rbe

but both did not create any shape in SketchUp, could it be, that the ERSI-Shapefiles from CvxExtractor are not in WGS84 Format?

Hi Conrad:

I shall post further info to update this thread location shortly. ;)

GaryGB

Country
us-illinois
Hi Conrad:

As you likely want to successfully complete this work-flow via your own efforts after so much prior work, I'll be brief. :coffee:

I 'Appended' to SBuilderX_v3.15 64-Bit, your SBuilderX *.SBX 'exchange' format file archived within "Akutan Harbor.rar" attached to your original thread on this project:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/terrain-sculpture-pro-v0-1-09-compilation-problem.446310/post-831979

Akutan Harbor\Project files\7AK Akutan Harbor.SBX

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/attachments/akutan-harbor-rar.52576/

I then exported from SBuilderX, (2) *.SHP files, (1 separate file each for Lines and Polygons).

NOTE: These *.SHP files were, of course, in a 'warped' EPSG:4326 GIS projection format upon output by SBuilderX.

I imported these (2) *.SHP files into Global Mapper, set the work-space projection to EPSG:3857, and re-exported them.

I imported those (2) non-warped EPSG:3857 *.SHP files into Sketchup via t4su: SHP + DBF Reader plugin Ruby script.

Those (2) non-warped EPSG:3857 *.SHP files imported into Sketchup as 'grouped' 3D objects; I 'exploded' all groups.

NOTE: These 3D objects may require some 'fixing' where poly-lines / polygons are overlapped on the Z-axis. :pushpin:

I added Guide Points to each vertex of all polygon / poly-line objects with "TIG: AddVertex+ v1.4"

I selected all Guide Points added to each vertex of all polygon / poly-line objects, and then I triangulated all that selected geometry to create Faces ...with: TIG: Triangulate Points v1.1

The result is a completely triangulated 3D model; some incidental superfluous Edge lines / Faces need deletion. :wizard:

BTW: We may require clarification from Arno as to whether MCX' export to CVX vector sloped flatten internally auto-detects GIS projection format, and re-projects EPSG 3857 source data to EPSG:4326 before compilation of 3D MDL source data to a sloped flatten by SDK SHP2VEC.

If not, one must first manually re-project EPSG 3857 source data to EPSG:4326 prior to import by MCX of source data intended for use as a CVX vector sloped flatten.

Note, however, that the above work-flow using EPSG:3857 is required for a 3D object intended as ex: a G-Poly.

FYI: While Arno has indicated that ScenProc does have the capability to auto-detect GIS projection format, it is not clear whether he has implemented that feature in MCX yet:

If the above general work-flow description requires more explanation, please feel free to inquire further. :)

If / when you are inclined to explore the option of placing a 3D MDL G-Poly over the terrain grid quad edges of a CVX vector sloped flatten to conceal aliasing, I would be glad to post additional info on how one may do that as well. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
switzerland
Hello Gary, I am once again more than just impressed and overwhelmed with your competent instructions and information. I first must process this mentally and then transform this per pedes into practice. I will then deliver corresponding reports later on.
Thanks a lot for the moment!!!!:wave:

Last edited:
Country
switzerland
First preliminary Report

Hello Gary, I followed exactly the procedure you described above!

Global Mapper V19:

GM Export-1.jpg

GM Export-2.jpg

GM Export-3.jpg

Only Setting "Add ELEVATION Attribute to DBF" did not generate any Elevation upon import to SketchUp! :alert:
The Parameter "Generate 3D Features Using Loaded Elevation Data ......." did the Job! :alert:

SketchUp 2017:

SKImport-1.jpg

T4SU SHP + DBF Reader Importer Dialog(s)

SKImport-2.jpg

SKImport-3.jpg

After Import some cleaning is required, as you mentioned above. Then I added Guide Points to each vertex of all polygon / poly-line objects with "TIG: AddVertex+ v1.4" (Extentions --> Add Guide-Point)
I selected all Guide Points added to each vertex of all polygon / poly-line objects, and then I triangulated all that selected geometry to create Faces with: TIG: Triangulate Points v1.1 (Extentions --> Triangulate Points [TIG])
The result is a completely triangulated 3D model; some incidental superfluous Edge lines / Faces need deletion. This finally produced something almost similar to yours:

Akutan Harbor Flatten.jpg

I did also some testing with the Shape-file-Importer Extention spirix_shapefile_importer.rbz from Jim Hamilton (AKA: jimhami42)
available from here: https://sites.google.com/site/spirixcode/code

This one worked also - with some limitations - but requires some more testing. There are a lot of excellent Plug-Ins for SketchUp around, but sometimes lack a good description, and this renders them sometimes to be absolutely arduous!!!!!

The importer has no options button where you can set the units of the .shp file that you want to import. It is in meters (1 = 1m), but the importer interpretes it in SketchUp’s internal units (1 = 1inch ~ 1/39m).
You have to set the Scale to: 39.37 to create it in the correct Meter-Format! Or use the from me modified Version as proposed by: http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71373&p=650863 The modified Version is attached bellow. You need to change from zip to rbz extention in order to install it via SketchUp Extention Manager!

This is my first finding, I will carry on with further processing and testing and will deliver a final Report.

The following Picture shows what the Akutan Harbor currently looks like in FS from the Air:

7AK Akutan Harbor-1.jpg

The red circles mark the Problem Areas I'm talking about!

Still a lot of work to do, as usual, the devil lies in the Detail!

Attachments

• spirix_shapefile_importer_mod.zip
    5 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Country
switzerland
Hi folks, In order to have some meat at the bone, I enlarged the problem-description something, so that the new reader of the post can be better informed about the problem and the goal to achive and perhaps also learn something from it! Advices are always welcome!
I believe for Larry Robinson, the developer of beautyful British Columbia (BC) maritime sceneries, this would be a triviality. Many thanks to him for his excellent works!:wave:
Not to forget: Holger Sandmann - Geospatial Lead Developer at Orbx and Bill Womack at iBlueYonder, the late Jon Patch with Victoria and Vancouver Plus for FSX/P3D and many more developers. Many thanks to them also!:wave:

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Conrad:

Upon my return from traveling, I see you are making good progress with your project and testing of methodology. :coffee:

I admire your in-depth analysis of options available for accomplishing the tasks required to make this scenery. ;)

FYI: Before I departed to travel this weekend, I had began a moderately extensive search to look for a DEM of this area.

Thus far, I have been unable to find any that are high resolution such as LiDAR or IFSAR.

However, as existing 1 Arc-second NASA / JPL / USGS / local elevation data, and some other regional surveys are compared / combined with KMZ data extracted from the above-cited Hughes "multibeam bathymetric survey of the harbor / topographic survey of the surrounding basin", I believe your existing data set can be updated to yield an even more precise interpretation and 3D rendition of Akutan Harbor ...if / when you may be compelled to do so. :scratchch

Keep up the nicely detailed work ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
switzerland
Hello Gary, first cordial thanks for your investigations of more exact height-data, I could not find any more exact data either. On many maps, the harbor of Akutan is still not portrayed.
But I would be very much interested on the ones you found. I discovered a small drawback on your solution, because the TS Pro solution provides a method to define blend Points with altitudes to blend with the surrounding landscape.
But this drawback can be circumvented, I have found a solution, by defining blend points within SBuilderX and let the Aircraft fly along each blend Point along the line and save its altitude, the same principle as in TS Pro. This can than also be exported within the ESRI-Shape-file and therefore be used for Triangulation in SketchUp. I will provide a more detailed and documented description later on!

Since I have already a blend point line with altitude from TS Pro (Akutan Harbor.tsp) I extracted the blend points from within this file and created a CSV and a Surfer-BLN-file from that, I imported the last file into SBuilderX with the Name BlendPoints. The other CSV-file can be imported into SketchUp with the "Cloud_v8.0bxx.rbz" SketchUp-extention from Didier Bur and can be used for the Triangulation-process.
But I need a little more testing and a verification process to finally report any usability!

The one or other may requires some CSV-files for his/her projects, for example with point-data for the Terrain-Generation, for this, I found a neat program, with which these data can simply be edited and manipulated. The program is called: CSVed and can be obtained for free from here: https://csved.sjfrancke.nl/index.html

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hello Gary,

first cordial thanks for your investigations of more exact height-data, I could not find any more exact data either.
On many maps, the harbor of Akutan is still not portrayed.
But I would be very much interested on the ones you found.

I discovered a small drawback on your solution, because the TS Pro solution provides a method to define blend Points with altitudes to blend with the surrounding landscape.

Indeed, the brief info I presented above was intended only to initially describe the specific work-flow for creating triangulated geometry from the imported *.SHP data via use of Sketchup plugins. ;)

Although I alluded to the fact that one might best cover up aliasing at edges of terrain grid quads with a 3D scenery object where the terrain mesh approximates that 3D model area, one must still identify data points where the sloped flatten blends with the surrounding terrain mesh ...if / when one wishes to do "blending".

To do that, one must of course, log actual elevation data points from a FS flight based on the loaded terrain mesh at current terrain mesh complexity and resolution settings (subject as well, to any modifications imposed by other CVX vector sloped flattens); as you know, both TSP and SBuilderX can do this.

Alternatively, nearly all this can be done in newer versions of Global Mapper on various elevation source data files, with the option to output into various export data file formats, that can be converted to FS 3D model and/or terrain objects.

I look forward to seeing your further insights / innovations. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hello Gary, first cordial thanks for your investigations of more exact height-data, I could not find any more exact data either. On many maps, the harbor of Akutan is still not portrayed.
But I would be very much interested on the ones you found.

The one or other may requires some CSV-files for his/her projects, for example with point-data for the Terrain-Generation, for this, I found a neat program, with which these data can simply be edited and manipulated. The program is called: CSVed and can be obtained for free from here: https://csved.sjfrancke.nl/index.html

Hi Conrad:

Here is some test results (after columnar field edits in QuattroPro spreadsheet application) of *.CSV files derived from KMZ data extracted from the above-cited Hughes "multibeam bathymetric survey of the harbor / topographic survey of the surrounding basin", used to generate a Global Mapper 3D elevation grid as a raster, and a vector DXF Mesh imported into Sketchup:

akutan_harbor_gm_3d_gridded_csv_hughes_akutanpoints_epsg-3857_side_view-jpg.52839

akutan_harbor_sketchup_triangulated_imported_gm_gridded_dxf_mesh_hughes_akutanpoints_epsg-3857-jpg.52840

The resulting grid interval is approximately 37 Meters between elevation data points, but as existing 1 Arc-second NASA / JPL / USGS / local elevation data, and some other regional surveys are compared / combined with that Hughes topo-bathy data set, I believe your existing data set can be updated to yield an even more precise interpretation and 3D rendition of Akutan Harbor ...if / when you may be compelled to do so. ;)

Keep up the diligent efforts with Global Mapper and Sketchup ! :)

GaryGB

Attachments

• Akutan_Harbor_GM_3D_Gridded_CSV_Hughes_AkutanPoints_EPSG-3857_Side_View.jpg
    Akutan_Harbor_GM_3D_Gridded_CSV_Hughes_AkutanPoints_EPSG-3857_Side_View.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 672
  • Akutan_Harbor_Sketchup_Triangulated_Imported_GM_Gridded_DXF_Mesh_Hughes_AkutanPoints_EPSG-3857...jpg
    Akutan_Harbor_Sketchup_Triangulated_Imported_GM_Gridded_DXF_Mesh_Hughes_AkutanPoints_EPSG-3857...jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 782
Last edited:
Country
switzerland
Hi Gary, first once again cordial thanks again for your great efforts, I will come back to you soon! I am currently on the process of writing some SketchUp-plugins for importing point data and Surfer-BLN-files. I used to be a IT-professional for 45 years,
23 years as an Application- and System-programmer, but since I am a couple of years retired now, I am not so fit anymore and fatigue-appearances come up pretty fast. My multithreading system has its limitation. Therefore I will report soon back to you!
Of course I am interested to carry on, the here shown information look promising!

Country
switzerland
Hi Gary, I just came back from a mountain-tour in the beautiful snowy Swiss Alps, this gave me more strenght. I did almost the same as you did, but my solution-base had a small mistake in my thinking , because I tried to use the Point Cloud directly in SketchUp!

Edit:
Sorry pressed the wrong button! I also tried to get one of the Pictures on the above mentioned site and use ist as a hight map to process it via resample. I will need to do some more Investigation and will use your Approach. I will Report back to you!
End-Edit:

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Conrad:

Here's an updated general work-flow used for results seen in my latter screenshots above: ;)

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/alternate-work-flow-for-producing-this-type-of-complex-sloped-flatten-scenery-object-moved.446355/post-832588

FYI: "In Global Mapper v11.02 and later you can customize the number of decimal digits written out for the X and Y coordinates for a CSV export by creating a DWORD registry key:

'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Global Mapper\ASCIIExportCoordPrecision'.

For example, set this value to 6 to get 6 decimal digits for each X, Y, and Z coordinate
."

I recommend setting / forcing that CoordPrecision value to 13 Decimal Places for use with GIS data sets.

In Global Mapper:

Open the Hughes AkutanPoints.KMZ

Configure work-space projection to EPSG:3857

Export Vector / LiDAR Format > CSV

In CSV Export Options dialog:

* Coordinate Precision > 'tick' option: "Use Specific Number of Decimal Digits" [ 13 ]

* Coordinate Formatting > 'tick' option: "Include Elevation Values For Each Point (If Available)

* Coordinate Formatting > 'tick' option: "Format Lat/Lon Coordinates With Position Display Format

* Attribute / Field Options > 'tick' option: "Include Column Names in First Row of File"

In a CSV editor (ex: a spreadsheet application or other task-specific utility):

* Edit resulting *.CSV so there is only a 3-field columnar X,Y,Z (Lon,Lat,Alt) record structure

NOTE: Do NOT use existing -99999.8984375000000 Altitude value

IIUC, this is only a Hughes data set-specific Topo-Bathy GIS 'fallback' value

Instead, use the unique record-specific LABEL field / column values for the ELEV field / column values

Save the columnar-edited data to ASCII *.CSV format.

In Global Mapper:

Unload All

Configure work-space projection to EPSG:3857

Open the just-edited *.CSV (DO NOT USE THE UN-EDITED ORIGINAL *.CSV :alert: )

In Generic ASCII Text Import Options dialog:

* 'tick' option: "Elevation Grid From 3D Point Data"

In Elevation Grid Creation Options dialog:

* Vertical Units = Meters (NOT FEET)

Gridding Method = Triangulation (Grid TIN of Points)

In Sketchup:

Import the just-edited *.CSV (DO NOT USE THE UN-EDITED ORIGINAL *.CSV :alert: ) ...via:

Sketchup Menu > File > Points Cloud > Import

(This option is available after installing: "Cloud_v8.0bxx.rbz" Sketchup plugin Roby script by Didier Bur).

Feel free to inquire further if additional clarification of my latter methodology test work-flow is required. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
switzerland
Hi Gary, I had a small success, it still looks something different as your version, however i will dig deeper into that matter, somehow I must have made an error somewhere.
For the aware reader of this forum, I will describe the processes I followed here:

Here are some test results (after columnar field edits in Excel spreadsheet application and CSVed) of *.CSV files derived from KMZ data extracted from the above-cited Hughes "multibeam bathymetric survey of the harbor / topographic survey of the surrounding basin", used to generate a Global Mapper 3D elevation grid as a raster, and a vector DXF Mesh imported into Sketchup:

GM Imp Cloud Points.jpg

GM Create Elevation Grid.jpg

GM Create Contours.jpg

1. Contours were in Global Mapper exported as AutoCAD-DXF file.
  2. A new Sketchup-Project started
  3. The Contours imported into Skechup were selected and Sandbox From Conjtours initiated, producing the following result:
Note: Optionally, you can also use the Simplify Contours tool (native SketchUp tool) "Extentions --> Simplify Contours" to simplify the contours brought in from CAD.
Note: Before using the Sandbox-Tools, Select all the contours and RMB-click "Make Group" to create a Group, so the contours can later be hidden!

Using the From Contour tool generates the contours and creates a Triangulated Irregular Network (TIN) made of stitched-together faces.

Sandbox Version.jpg

Same procedure here, but using Fredo6 TopoShaper to create Terrain:

2019-11-21_19-49-34.jpg

Note: Topo Shaper can handle many more vertices than From Contour can handle.

Last edited:
Country
switzerland
Hi Gary, just received your alternate workflow, I will try that one tomorrow! Its getting late here!
Have a nice evening, Report to you tomorrow!

Country
us-illinois
Hi Conrad:

Looks good ! ;)

IIRC, contour poly-line intermediate work data sets should be 'grouped' so they may be hidden or deleted.

Fascinating what one can achieve via Sketchup, is it not ? :)

PS: Here is some new test results I'm working on in Global Mapper: :idea:

akutan_harbor_gm_3d_gridded_edited_csv_hughes_akutanpoints_epsg-3857_top_view-jpg.52856

akutan_harbor_gm_3d_gridded_edited_csv_hughes_akutanpoints_epsg-3857_side_view-jpg.52857

FILENAME=[path]\Akutan Harbor\Project files\AkutanPoint_KMZ_Hughes_EPSG-3857_QPW_Edited.csv
DESCRIPTION=AkutanPoint_KMZ_Hughes_EPSG-3857_QPW_Edited.csv
UPPER LEFT X=-18460275.241
UPPER LEFT Y=7195250.180
LOWER RIGHT X=-18459408.903
LOWER RIGHT Y=7194237.101
WEST LONGITUDE=165.83147398° W
NORTH LATITUDE=54.13228909° N
EAST LONGITUDE=165.82369153° W
SOUTH LATITUDE=54.12695653° N
UL CORNER LONGITUDE=165.83147398° W
UL CORNER LATITUDE=54.13228909° N
UR CORNER LONGITUDE=165.82369153° W
UR CORNER LATITUDE=54.13228909° N
LR CORNER LONGITUDE=165.82369153° W
LR CORNER LATITUDE=54.12695653° N
LL CORNER LONGITUDE=165.83147398° W
LL CORNER LATITUDE=54.12695653° N
PROJ_DESC=Mercator / GOOGLE / meters
PROJ_DATUM=GOOGLE MAPS (SPHERE RADIUS 6378137)
PROJ_UNITS=meters
EPSG_CODE=EPSG:3857
COVERED AREA=0.3013 sq km
NUM COLUMNS=469
NUM ROWS=393
PIXEL WIDTH=1.851 meters
PIXEL HEIGHT=2.584 meters
MIN ELEVATION=1.3 meters
MAX ELEVATION=57.3 meters
ELEVATION UNITS=meters
BIT DEPTH=24

GaryGB

Attachments

• Akutan_Harbor_GM_3D_Gridded_Edited_CSV_Hughes_AkutanPoints_EPSG-3857_Top_View.jpg
    Akutan_Harbor_GM_3D_Gridded_Edited_CSV_Hughes_AkutanPoints_EPSG-3857_Top_View.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 647
  • Akutan_Harbor_GM_3D_Gridded_Edited_CSV_Hughes_AkutanPoints_EPSG-3857_Side_View.jpg
    Akutan_Harbor_GM_3D_Gridded_Edited_CSV_Hughes_AkutanPoints_EPSG-3857_Side_View.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:
Country
switzerland
Hi Gary, Looks something similar to mine, I'm pleased about this, showing that I have made no mistakes so far. By the way, for the aware reader of this forum, I have above added some more meat to the bone. I will takle now your second Approach and will give you soon feedback!! This approach sounds promising!!!

Country
switzerland
Hi Gary, following your precise instructions and guide lines above (updated general work-flow) I was able to create the same result as yours. Following are the result(s):

Procedure for pre-processing the Cloud of Points within Global Mapper before exporting for processing within Sketchup:

GM Text Import Opt-1.jpg

GM Text Import Opt-2.jpg

Missing Picture here due to some Problem with transmitting, I was unable to attach it because of limitations imposed by the System, see later post below!

From here on, the contours can be created within Global Mapper as decribed above and exported as AutoCAD DXF-file for importing into Sketchup.

Procedure for directly importing the Cloud of Points into Sketchup:

Following are the results from importing the Cloud of Points directly into Sketchup by Didier Bur's "Cloud_v8.0bxx.rbz":

File --> Points Cloud --> Import:

Points Cloud Options-1.jpg

Points Cloud Options-2.jpg

Points Cloud Options-3.jpg

Points Cloud Options-4.jpg

Be aware: Depending on the number of the points, this process can take a certain period (Minutes-Hours)!:alert:

Cloud_v8_1.jpg

above with the "Triangulate" option, below without the "Triangulate" option:

Cloud_v8_2.jpg

by using Fredo6 TopoShaper it produced the following:

Cloud_v8_3.jpg

Note: Topo Shaper can handle many more vertices than From Contour can handle.

The aware reader of this forum finds all the data in the attached file in order to do some exercises and experimenting by her-/himself!

Attachments

• 7AK_Akutan_Harbor_KMZ.rar
    3.9 MB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Country
switzerland
Here is the missing Picture from above. I was unable to attach it because of limitations imposed by the system:

GM Grid TIN-1.jpg