• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Alternate work-flow for producing this type of complex sloped flatten scenery object

Hi Gary, You offered me an alternate work-flow for producing this type of complex sloped flatten scenery object for the Akutan Harbor project.

Akutan_Harbor_Sketchup_Triangulated_Imported_SHP_Lines_Polygons_EPSG-3857.jpg

and

Akutan_Harbor_Sketchup_Triangulated_Imported_SHP_Lines_Polygons_EPSG-3857_Side_View.jpg

Most of these processes are clear to me, thanks to your tremendous, most comprehensive and competent advices you provide here and on other Forums.
Or lets say, the processes are theoretically very clear to me, but the practical implementation is poor! Theory and Praxis, as we all know, are two different pair of shoes.

For my Akutan Airport (7AK/PAUT) Project, I tried several methods, by utilizing 3ds Max and SketchUp to create Terrain-flattens (you will find all in the attached file).

In SketchUp I have installed so many extentions that the following saying becomes truth: "Nothing but before trees one the forest no more sees", or in German: "Vor lauter Baeumen sieht man den Wald nicht mehr!".
This in compensation for increasingly being unable to do complex things. I used to be a very profound user of: Autodesk Inventor, CATIA, SolidWorks and Siemens NX but this capabilities are more and more being lost!

In SketchUp I have used all of Fredo6, TIG, ThomThoms, Didier Bur and a lot other providers extentions. but perhaps you have some more I do not know yet, I would appreciate if you could mention them.

A lot of very good instructional Videos for SketchUp usage can be found here (The SketchUp Essentials):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJafTeHBrRBL9tS-S-kRbpw

from Justin Geis.

Edit:
Here are some Links for Akutan Harbor:

https://www.aleutianseast.org/?SEC=666617AD-3F9D-4475-AE75-27E78B6D77D0
https://www.aleutianseast.org/index.asp?sec=9eeef11c-12a2-451c-bf29-c4cdeb39e06e&type=b_basic
https://www.poa.usace.army.mil/Media/Images/igphoto/2000757885/

End-Edit:

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi Conrad:

IIUC, you would like to know how I generated the examples in the above screenshots I had previously posted here:

I am looking at the various files in your attached CSTTest7.rar.

I do see that you have created a 3D model with a surface "shell".

While it is possible to use the data set from your prior thread to 'intersect' and further cut into that surface 'shell' to create the local Akutan Harbor as seen in the above screenshots, thus creating a more complex custom terrain surface, it might be best to try using the prior data set as a CVX vector sloped flatten which can be draped with custom photo-real land class imagery compiled via a SDK Resample BGL.

Again, depending on how much precision is wanted, one can use the 3D model as a CVX vector sloped flatten via MCX to blend into surrounding terrain, and as a source for flat G-Poly surface areas to conceal underlying terrain quad edge aliasing (...that displays terrain as a function of user aircraft camera distance from such objects, and which is 'inescapable' even with very high terrain grid quad resolution settings in FSX / P3D).

IMHO, blending CVX vector flattens into a surrounding FS SDK Resample-compiled terrain mesh BGL is more practical to do, as it allows a underlying terrain mesh to be used outside the immediate local Akutan Harbor "ring" structures. :pushpin:

I suggest that we initially take a look at the work-flow I used (with your data) to generate the examples seen in the above screenshots, with a goal of making not only a:

* CVX vector sloped flatten

...but also a:

* 3D model of just the immediately local area surrounding / including the Akutan Harbor to function as a surface "shell" to conceal underlying terrain quad edge aliasing.

One might think of the latter 3D model compiled into a MDL object, as a type of multi-planar non-flat G-Poly (which, if desired, is capable of displaying more Material properties than one's custom photo-real land class imagery draped onto a CVX vector sloped flatten).

If that would be of interest to you as an initial consideration, I can document the procedures used in Sketchup using your prior data set for the local Akutan Harbor as seen in the above 'worked example' screenshots. :)

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

PS: It might be best for us to 'transplant this thread into the Sketchup forum' instead of the TerrainSculptor forum. :alert:

If you copy / move your OP above, I will immediately post this reply there as well; then we can delete the original thread. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi Conrad:

It appears that a moderator has taken it upon themselves to 'transplant' this thread into "Terrain Design General" forum.

While not topic- and methodology- specific, it may be an acceptable location as use of other GIS tools may be involved.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed. ;)

GaryGB

Hi Gary, I just copied this post to the SketchUp-Thread. But I doubt whether I did this correctly, let me please know if there is another or better solution to do this for the future.
Of course I'm very much interested how you created the pictured Akutan Harbor. You must have used CvxExtractor to create ESRI-Shape-files or Surfer BLN-files from the from SBuilderX created CVX-files.
And you must have importet them into SketchUp. I have the following SketchUp-Extentions installed to read Shape-files in SketchUp:

spirix_shapefile_importer.rbz
t4su_20171003.rbe

but both did not create any shape in SketchUp, couldt it be, that the ERSI-Shapefiles from CvxExtractor are not in WGS84 Format?

Hi Conrad:

I shall consolidate my replies within this Sketchup forum thread location:

GaryGB