• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Am I on the right track? BGL decompile, re-compile

Country
unitedstates
First, I have plenty of experience with ADE and creating / placing scenery (mostly years ago) and simply need to know if I'm on the right track, or am I way off base? I am running P3D v4 on a Windows 10 system.

I have an airport that was created by someone else that needs a lot of work. In this airport, the original author has placed blue taxi lights as an object. Sadly, with the corrections, these taxi lights are all over the taxiways.

By a stroke of luck, he also left the .txt file that contains the objects within that BGL file so I know which item is the offending one. In this case it's the 8th one down the list of 18 objects .

When I decompile the "offending" BGL, (using BGL to XML), it "creates" 18 .mdl objects, (FSDS_object.mdl, through FSDS_object16.mdl) and the corresponding .xml file.

I'm thinking I can decompile the "offending" BGL, remove the "blue taxi lights" (or in this case, FSDS_object6.mdl), edit the .xml file then recompile the BGL using XML to BGL program. (Sadly, the XML file has no user friendly information in it! It has 18 entries that look like this:

<ModelData
sourceFile=""
fileOffsest="0"/>

(I have replaced the "sourcefile=""" with "sourcefile="<path of .mdl file>" and get no errors when running XML to BGL. If I don't do that, XML to BGL will not work.)

I am able to do this, and get NO errors, however, the resulting new BGL (that hopefully removes the taxi lights) now does not work at all and I get no objects that should be in that BGL.

Is this the correct approach? Or is there an issue with BGL to XML and / or XML to BGL in P3D v4?

Hope I conveyed myself appropriately.

TB2

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Would it not be easier to just delete the placement information of the object? If you load the airport in ADE don't you see the sceneryobjects that place the lights?

Country
unitedstates
If I could find it, yes. At this time, I’m not sure how he placed them. It’s highly unlikely he did them one at a time, but instead as a string. If I can find beginning or end, I could dimply delete them. But they are not showing up as a string.

I may play with the Library Manager in ADE and see if I can replicate them, that may give me the information I’m looking for.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
ModelConverterX should be able to load the Library BGL file, then you can use the green arrows to move between objects until you find the blue light. Then use the Scenery Objects Editor to remove that object from the file. Use Export Scenery to save the BGL and that object will be gone. Save a back up file first and don't leave it with a .BGL extension (or placed in an active scenery folder) or it will be loaded anyway. I usually place a copy in the parent scenery folder for safekeeping.

Country
unitedstates
Thanks tgibson. I'll have to check it out.

I think for my needs, the simplest approach would be to eliminate the offending .bgl entirely. Using Library Manager and ADE, I was able to isolate and shapshot every item in that particular .bgl file and will place them appropriately in the re-created airport. Since there are only 19 items, and I only care about 16 or so, it isn't a big challenge.

In the original airport, the original author somehow embedded them in that airport so there is no way for me to isolate them out and only single out the taxi lights, (which I've determined the original author did place them individually. What a hassle!). By eliminating the original bgl, then placing the items back into the airport myself, I have more control over them.

Apparently the same happened with the payware sceneries of EVRA and LGRP. And I have not found any other solution but to eliminate all the rwy edgelights.
Once the creator of the scenery has merged all of the lights into one mdl where all the lights are already put at their ( sometimes wrong) place, I see no way to remedy that with MCX.
I hope I am wrong, Arno ;)?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Yes, AFAIK if they are a single object there is no way to separate them. The OP's were placed as individual objects so he could use other strategies, but has decided to remove all of them anyway.