• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX An issue with water polygons/islands

G

george7378

Hi!

I am in the process of creating a bunch of islands using ADE (one of which will have a runway) but I've run into a problem. I've attached my ADE project file. Here's the issue:

- I've created two small water exclusion polygons to remove two of the water tiles in FSX. This works fine.
- I've then created a bunch of custom water polygons with holes to represent my islands. I put shorelines round them too. When I compile and load the scenery in FSX, some of the islands show up while others are covered by water. Here's an overview of my ADE project:

islandoverview.png

...and here's how it looks in FSX (bottom to top):

2015-2-23_23-56-48-833.jpg
2015-2-23_23-56-22-898.jpg

2015-2-23_23-56-36-459.jpg

as you can see, only the lower 4 islands actually work, while the others are all covered with ocean. I can't figure it out because the islands that do work are split across two different polygons, and one of the polygons contains two working islands and one that doesn't work.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could explain what's going on? If you decide to download and compile the ADE file, then the resulting airport location should appear as 'VRMO' in the FSX list.

Thanks for the help :)

Attachments

• VRMO_ADEX_NO_IM.ad4
    22.2 KB · Views: 112

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Only thing I can think of offhand is that you've crossed some sort of boundary. Try putting land polygons into those empty islands?

G

george7378

I tried putting some landclass polygons there and it made no difference. I can't figure it out!

G

george7378

OK, so I tried removing a polygon to see what happens. If I remove the central large water polygon, like so:

ovv2.png

...then this is the result I get:

2015-3-2_13-41-37-605.jpg

2015-3-2_13-41-44-136.jpg

A few things happen: the water polygon disappears as expected but the single island at the top now does appear. The polygon underneath has the same problem where two islands appear but one does not, and you can also see that there's a thin line of water cutting across the land. This is also there if I remove all my water polygons and just stick with the exclusion polygons only. Never seen this before.

Does this help with identifying the issue? Thanks :)

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Having just recently placed over 10,000 islands for my current project, I didn't have a single issue like you are encountering.

I did have problems in the past, but these were caused by using the wrong tool for the job. Like you, I had been using ADE which is better suited for airport creation. Switching to SBuilderX solved all these problems.

G

george7378

Hi, thanks for the reply. As it turns out I fixed the problem by splitting the polygons into smaller sub-polygons with a maximum of 2 islands per section. It seems that once the polygons exceed a certain number of vertices, these issues start to sporadically appear. Thanks for the tip on SBuilderX - I've tried messing with it before but I found that I prefer ADE for the work I'm doing. My project is to create an airport which is absent by default and to add the surrounding islands within a certain radius. As such the islands are actually a relatively minor addition to the overall thing, it's just nice to have them there!

Thanks for the help again!

saf.jpg

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Glad to hear you got your problem fixed! :)

I understand your position on choice of tools; I still use Traffic Tools v2.02 (Ttools) to program all my AI traffic and then convert to FSX format. It's great that we have such a plethora of great tools for development.