Animals Animation

Hi People,:)
I do scenery and I was thinking to put some animals in the scen.
First, how to see them in FSX, I did get to see yet?
I followed the configuration game, Options, settings, graphics , Advanced animations,...but none just now?:confused:

Second, How to build this animations, with Gmax ? Animation tools and others.? There is some models builted?;)

I will appreciate some help about this subject.
Thanks

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

First, how to see them in FSX, I did get to see yet? I followed the configuration game, Options, settings, graphics , Advanced animations,...but none just now?:confused:
Do you mean that you placed some of the default animal objects in your scenery and that they do not animate?

Second, How to build this animations, with Gmax ? Animation tools and others.? There is some models builted?;)
You should be able to make them with GMax. I think most of the default animated animals are made using skin and bone animation techniques. See the SDK and the GMax help for more details.

You can use simconnect to add simobjects to FSX and have them move about. See the AI example in the SDK. Also look at my livingworld v1.2 program on my site (below). This will allow you to add them in. I have added a Loc Ness monster to the download so you can search for it. :D My program is not related to mission - you see them in free flight.

You can create your own sim object animals in GMAX as Arno has said, and then add them to FSX. Building animals in GMAX takes some learning but simple animals can be created (my Loc Ness monster is not "Disney Pixar" quality)

The new SDK also talks about the livingworld.spb file where you can randomly add simobjects to FSX. You don't have control over where they are or how they move - just what region they are in. Make the animal a vehicle and it should work. That is what I did with my program.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks Arno,
Do you mean that you placed some of the default animal objects in your scenery and that they do not animate?

Not exactly, I mean that:
How can I see the animals defaults, like Elephant and so on ? I have to locate myself in Kenia, for eg. ...The animals follow a geographic context to appear in FSX ?
. At this point I don´t talk about to put animals in my scenery. I should...

You should be able to make them with GMax. I think most of the default animated animals are made using skin and bone animation techniques. See the SDK and the GMax help for more details.
Yes, that´s the way I thought...

Thahks, Jorge

Thanks Ron !

Ok Ron ,

Your advises are very usefull , I´ll to follow with first downloading your program...
In the future I´dd like to have your aide ?
Regards,

Jorge

Jorge,

I made an error in my last post - livingworld.spb file only does boats and vehicles. If you make an animal a vehicle - you may get elephants running down the hiway.:eek:

You can also use the library objects and create a BGL, but this will only place the sim object at the position in the bgl - it will not make them move - they will animate but not go antwhere.

I would be happy to help where I can - I am no expert.

Hello Ron, Hello Arno.

I have a lot of work to do and i hope you can help me in some questions.
First of all, what i want to do is a small part of the world full of animals, cobined with some missions.
So on my to-do list i find: Creating new animals, creating a new landscape, creating a new scenery (the buildings and airport), creating missions.

I just begun the first step, creating animals. And i am already blocked. How to? Well i thought it would be easy to create a gmax model and a texture and then save it like all the default animals as a MDL in FSX. Haha i searched for hours to find something to treat this mdl file. I read a hundred times that it wouldn't be possible. But hey, all my planes and animals are MDL so my first question is: Where can i get that program to adapt mdl files? Even if i have to pay 500$

Second question: Do i really need to work with MDL for creating new animals? Ron you wrote, you created a Nessie, how did you? I can not show you enough my ambition to learn it!

Unfortunaletly the website in your signature didn't work, otherwise i would had take a look.

Thank you for helping me! Best regards, Daniel

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Daniel,

Did you install the FSX gamepack from the SDK? Using that gamepack you can export models from GMax to the MDL format used by FSX.

I hope that answers your question,

Hi Arno :)

Indeed... you did :D Thank you :) Now a following question. As i understood the right part to create animals in SDK is Environnement Kit -> Modelling SDK.

I followed the installation guide, hot to install the Scripts of the Folder 3DSM7 but it didn't work out (only the CLOUDS-Window apeared). Does this really works only in 3DS, because i tried it in gmax?

These advices apeared:

Then the CLOUDS Window apeared, but another message also:

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
There are THREE separate sets of FSX Tools available:

1. Max7/8 use the ..\3DSM7 folder.

2. Max9/2008 use the ..\3DSM9 folder.

3. GMax use the ..\FSX_GmaxGamePack folder.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

For GMax you need to copy the GMax gamepack SDK over to the gamepacks folder in GMax and then start with the shortcut found in the gamepack. That's all, no need to add plugins etc.

Thank you guys, i didn't have this folders, because i just installed the FSX SDK but not the updates. No i'm going to do my first steps with it. Thank you again! :)