• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Animated Ground Traffic - PathFollow Animation Object

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hi!

I am currently in the process of creating animated ground traffic for the Dortmund Airport project. Something occurred to me and I asked myself whether it was recently possible to use the MSFS SDK to program ground vehicles so that they collide with other objects. And so I then placed an Asobo collision material over the vehicles. The effect is that the ground vehicles collide with my plane as you can see here:

I find this a very interesting approach, let's see what we can develop from it :wizard:
Asobo, you keep surprising us anew 🙂

Country
germany
Christian, could you explain how to set an animated scenery object to follow the path? Do you export the path as part of the object following it? And how do you determine the speed at which the objects travels along the path?
Thanks and cheers, Fabian

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hi Fabian.

The setup is very easy to do. I have just recorded a short video in 3dsm that shows the entire animation creation process.

First you open a vehicle
Then you create a path, for example with the Line Tool
A Path Contrains Controller is assigned to the vehicle
Then a path is assigned to the object and the necessary settings are made
The speed of the vehicle is determined by the length of the animation
Finally, the animation is broken down to transfer the keys to the vehicle

Here you can download the video directly: 3dsm_path_follow_object_animation

Last edited:
Country
china
Hi,
From what I understand here, you created a path in 3dsmax to animate the ground vehicle, but is it possible to achieve a similar result with Living World? I tried making an animated ground vehicle in Blender, and the animation itself works fine in sim. But when I try to use Living World to instance the vehicle as part of ambient traffic, the vehicle doesn't seem to be spawning.

Country
peru
What I need to try now is to put a collision material around my airplane and see if ground traffic stops just driving through my aircraft :)

Country
germany
@fabs79
Hi Fabian, how does it look. Can you give us feedback?
Sorry Christian, I'd love to try it out but at the moment my time for developing is pretty limited because my colleagues and I were drafted for doing extra shifts on our Covid ICU to support the staff there. The few hours I have for simming each month I spend flying the just flight PA28 and correcting some bugs in my previous NFTO scenery at the moment, but I'll get back to my NZKI scenery as soon as I have the time. Looking forward to your scenery in the meantime!

Country
germany
OK, I took some minutes to create a path for my object to follow, and it works well in Blender, but I have problems exporting it because the fspackagetool gives me an xml compile error; could you please post the xml of your animated object so I could compare it with mine? Thanks again for your help!

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Can you please post your XML file or its content here, please. Maybe we will find the mistake together :)

Country
germany
Hi Christian, here is my test setup with a simple cube that follows a path:
Screenshot (13).png

My export settings:

1621536205076.png

And the xml file contents:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<ModelInfo guid="{af78acde-fe42-40aa-696d-db92dc810929}" version="1.1"/>
<Animation name="cube" guid="06213db5-231a-454e-bded-08752a0b87d9" type = "Standard" typeParam="Autoplay" />
</ModelInfo>

I have to admit that I know absolutely NOTHING about how these xml files work, I just copied and pasted the settings from the tutorial for animated objects by FlyingTheston on Youtube.

Thanks again,

Fabian

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
The code seems incomplete, see if it works with this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<ModelInfo version="1.1" guid="{7360498b-9488-4855-93e5-d019d1d1e87f}">
<Animation name="cube" guid="3ad39975-2664-4039-8f86-1ed0a92657f1" type="Standard" typeParam="AutoPlay,Random" />
</ModelInfo>

Please use the entire code, including the GUID'S.

Country
china
The code seems incomplete, see if it works with this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<ModelInfo version="1.1" guid="{7360498b-9488-4855-93e5-d019d1d1e87f}">
<Animation name="cube" guid="3ad39975-2664-4039-8f86-1ed0a92657f1" type="Standard" typeParam="AutoPlay,Random" />
</ModelInfo>

Please use the entire code, including the GUID'S.
Just wondering, what does "Random" do in this code? :)

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
This means that the animation starts at random points along the path. So the animation should not always play at the beginning of the path.

Country
germany
OK, the good news is that the xml compiles without an error message now. The bad news is that the animation doesn´t play, the cube just sits still in midair and doesn't move an inch. In Blender the animation plays without issues, so I must be doing something wrong during the export process.

Country
germany
Thanks for posting, I watched the tutorial a few weeks ago but had the impression that a path follow animation would be different than what was shown in the video. Nevertheless, yesterday I succeeded. My mistake was that I chose the object name as the animation name, but the animation name seems to be the name of the NLA track which still hat its default name "NLAtrack" after naming the NLA track "cube" the animation played successfully.