• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Animation from MCX Not Working in MSFS2020

Country
indonesia
Hi, I have a problem when using animation on an object for MSFS2020. I created the animation in 3dsmax and exported it to modelconverterx and then exported it to MSFS2020. When in Modelconverterx, the animation is detected and runs smoothly, but when tested in MSFS2020, the animation does not run and stays still. How can I fix this?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
You'll want to show the model XML and describe the animation, what event triggers it, is it ambient?

Country
indonesia
You'll want to show the model XML and describe the animation, what event triggers it, is it ambient?
I want to try creating a custom wigwag for MSFS, as well as some other vehicle animations. I'll give an example of a wigwag animation in MCX that appears in MCX but not in MSFS. I'll give you the XML and GLTF for you to take a look.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    177.4 KB · Views: 61
  • wigwag.max.zip
    9.6 KB · Views: 53

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
There is a working wig wag in the resources section, it is free to use and modify. You'll want to refer to that model's XML, specifically the animation section, this is something MCX won't do for us. You'll want to have set your animation name in 3Ds Max using the Babylon context menu properties, then you will want to replace your animation name and your model GUID into the XML of the example model. For the animation GUID, you can just use MCX to generate a new one for whatever model you have open and just not save that edit. Remember to save that XML when you do compile with MCX, because it will overwrite and give you that generic one, which incidentally is approximately the same XML 3ds Max spits out, if you go that route.

For now, it seems writing animation XML is all copy/paste. It's all pretty straightforward, Christian Bahr gave us exacting directions here, sorry I don't have a link but if you have any trouble with the Babylon part I can open 3ds Max and upload some screen captures.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The model seems to have just an ambient animation. The XML output for such animations that MCX makes should work, I have used that in test models before. I have not been able to test this model in MSFS.

If the XML output that MCX generates can be improved, just let me know. I'm not actively developing for MSFS myself so I need the input from users to improve things.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
This is the XML for the sample wig wag:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ModelInfo guid="{753a0de9-05f4-4dae-b1d2-8dffb8dc6d72}" version="1.1">
<Animation name="Wigwag" guid="B6F1C5D0-BEF6-449e-BAF8-FB777F27808F" type="Standard" typeparam2="Wigwag" typeparam="AutoPlay,Random" />

<LODS>
<LOD MinSize="0" ModelFile="KS_WIGWAG_LIGHT.gltf"/>
</LODS>

</ModelInfo>

The field that is green corresponds to "ambient" in MSFS, the field that is in red must be supplied from the modeler, it is the name he designated in the animation properties in 3ds Max, "animation" is the default and would probably work for all intents and purposes. For example, if you did not want an edit field in MCX, you could just use the term "animation" for the name and people could customize it. The blue field is a random GUID, that obviously must be unique to this model/animation.