• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Animation Moves Past Set Limits

CWP

Country
us-nevada
I have a basic animation created in FSDS that moves about two feet past its set limits. All it is suppose to do is set for 300 frames then move down eleven meters during the next 100 frames then stay at that spot for 300 frames then back up for the next 100 frames. What happens is that upon entering the simulator it slowly moves up about two feet then back down slowly, no doubt that it is doing this during the 300 frames that it is suppose to stay stationary. Then when it reaches its original position it starts to move quickly through the eleven meters that are programed, once it hits where it is suppose to stop it does briefly then slowly does the exact same thing on the opposite end. In MCX it works just fine but not in sim.

Any Ideas?...

CWP

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
What is your animation tag?

Last edited:

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Add more keyframes during the stationary phases to keep it in position, if you can do that in FSDS.

CWP

Country
us-nevada
Add more keyframes during the stationary phases to keep it in position, if you can do that in FSDS.
I'm limited to 1024 in FSDS but I will max it out and see if it changes. originally I just had 100 keyframes when it was suppose to be stopped, it did the same thing only quicker like in the space of the 100 frames. It's weird...

Just added more keyframes, 412 for each stationary position and the results are, it just takes longer to move up and down past the boundaries

Last edited:

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Outwith my knowledge then, 'fraid I'm more used to Gmax and Max, sorry.

Reactions: CWP

CWP

Country
us-nevada
Outwith my knowledge then, 'fraid I'm more used to Gmax and Max, sorry.
Yea, I haven't screwged with Gmax for about five years but I found myself installing it this evening. The main model is massive and textured but if FSDS can't get it done, I'll have to figure out how to export/import and hopefully keep my textures.

This problem is unique, I've read all over the forums and can't find anything similar, I'm thinking that it's because XXX.xx.xx latitude and XXX.xx.xx longitude intersect over the top of my house... If Arno doesn't show up with an answer, it probably can't be fixed.

Farfy

Resource contributor
Hi CWP.

I have been playing with the model you sent and it is very odd indeed.

I don’t think I have ever seen this or I just have never noticed it before but it sure wants to float up and the top and again it moves oddly at the bottom.

I remade a very simple test object with a few marker cubes so I can track it movement and even this model dose this.

I have two work a rounds for this.

One if you compile the elevator parts with the FS9 compilers it works ok.

If you just have to use the FSX compilers here is method its not 100% perfect but it looks ok.

Elevator at the top set key frame 0

Still at the top advance counter to 400 and set

Advance key frame to 401 and move elevator down -.1 and set

Advance key frame to 499 and move the elevator down -10.9 and set

Advance key frame to 500 move elevator down the last -.1 and set

Advance key frame to 900 and set.

Advance key frame to 901 move the elevator up .1 and set

Advance key frame to 999 move elevator up 10.9 and set.

Advance key frame to 1000 move elevator up the last .1 and set.

The movement in FSX is a little jerky but it’s better than the drift.

CWP

Country
us-nevada
Thanks Farfy, I have messed around with it for hours with hopes that I can get back here and say completely solved using your keyframe ideas but as you say it's a little jerky. You got it dialed in as good as possible but that little jump at the end of the cycle is reason to explore further options. I don't have the FS9 SDK installed but that's next.

Farfy

Resource contributor
Hi CWP.

I got it working the trick is small steps.

Elevator at the top set key frame 0

Still at the top advance counter to 400 and set

Advance key frame to 405 and move elevator down -.55 and set

Advance key frame to 410 and move elevator down -.55 and set

Advance key frame to 415 and move elevator down -.55 and set

Repeat this until elevator is at the bottom you should be at key frame 500 and moved to total of 11 Meters down

Advance key frame to 900 and set

Now to move back up

Advance key frame to 905 and move elevator up .55

Advance key frame to 910 and move elevator up .55

Repeat this until elevator is at the top you should be at key frame 1000 and moved to total of 11 Meters up

CWP

Country
us-nevada
This is awesome Farfy, I was just finishing up my suicide note when your message and the FS Developer message popped in to my inbox. I read them both, checked it out and wadded up the note and tossed it into the trash can... But seriously, I was dreading the thought of learning a new CAD program to finish up the model. Eventually I know I have to make the switch to GMax and 3DS Max because Abacus has long since jumped ship on FSDS support. In fact Mr. Farfy, your tutorials are what has kept me using FSDS... As far as I can see, you are the best FSDS support on the planet!

A BIG "THANK YOU!"