P3D v4 animation triggers

Posted elsewhere but posting here as well.

I have an animated gate. Extends and retracts. I think I should make it so it only extends.

I need to learn how to trigger this gate so it extends then trigger again so it retracts. IN..... P3D4.5

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Did you animate it with skin and bones? Then you can use the special tags mentioned in the SDK for jetways.

I have never used Gmax. I useFSDs. Never had any problem with animation. Always used CAT for triggers, but that cannot be used in P3D. I was hoping there could be something like CAT that can be developed for use with P3D 4.5

so, with FSDS since there are no "bones" it cannot be triggered?

If I animate only to the extended position, AND if I send you the file could you or someone see it can be made to work?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I don't think it can be done without the skin and bone animations. You might want to check if SODE can help you here.

I'm not good in making such animations either (only did it once many years ago), it's quite tricky.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Ok, it seems like you could use the blast door animation sequence. You'd probably have to add a hook and/or catapult connection to your user aircraft, but they don't have to be modeled and I'm pretty sure that is the only provision required to enable the blast door sequence.

So the procedure would be to model your hangar as a carrier, extending your invisible launch bar (shift+U) initiates the sequence. Then you would move forward, over the invisible shuttle of the invisible catapult and press shift+I to extend the gate. To retract the gate, press shift+space.

You may have to reverse the functionality of these commands, because shift+I has the secondary action of locking the user vehicle in place, which would prevent you from transiting the threshold.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Sounds like overkill to me, if you can just use the normal jetway animation that triggers with Ctrl-J in sim.

That's what I was thinking of.... use shift+J as the trigger. What did CAT use in the model to trigger the object? Oh well. I guess this is the one of the few things FSDS cannot do in the new P3D format.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
With CAT we typically used radio frequencies as trigger. But the FS2004 style codes in CAT are not supported by P3D anymore. And they are also not compatible with Ctrl-J.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Sounds like overkill to me, if you can just use the normal jetway animation that triggers with Ctrl-J in sim.
Arno, you yourself have stated that jetways require bones

A jetway does not have to contain all of the bones shown below, but it must contain the three IK handles. The three IK handles are named IK MainHandle, IK SecondaryHandle and IK WheelsGroundLock, and control the animation.

I don't think it can be done without the skin and bone animations. You might want to check if SODE can help you here.

I'm not good in making such animations either (only did it once many years ago), it's quite tricky.
I've actually experimented with catapults quite a bit, creating and uploading freeware models using these animations.

The animation sequences I referred to have been compiled to the models I made, using Sketchup and FSDS. Additionally, the jetway animation requires a similar degree of preparation to the blast door animation, in that the door section of the aircraft.cfg has to be added and likely tweaked to compensate for the requirement that jetways extend toward the left side of the aircraft only.

Finally, of course, there is the idea of getting skin and bones into FSDS animations - I too use FSDS to animate all of my models and that my suggestion of using available software and techniques is "overkill." Ok, if you say so, it must be the case.

Arno- thank you for your input. Gives me some things to consider.

RK- My animation of my jet way goes out and back. Should I delete the key sets for the return so it only goes out? AND- Should I send the fsc file to you , here to see what you can do with it? I can do package project or just send the fsc.

I know Sketchup does not animate. There are neat tricks you are using I'd like to learn. If you have time one of these days perhaps we could meet up on Skype. Thanks. Bob

=rk=

Resource contributor
You're welcome to upload the model, the thing is, since my most recent work finally got published in August, I haven't done a thing of substance, haven't even opened FSX or P3D. I'd prefer to share the tricks I've learned and try to advise you, I think that would also help anyone else trying to accomplish similar.

rk- Wonderful!

I just reinstalled Gmax.

I opened my jetway in FSDS and reanimated so it extends outward only. (sht+n which is 100 could have done differently but it's ok)

Opened in MCX and watched the ani. It goes out fairly slowly ( I could slow it down a tad, but it's ok), and then snaps back. I think this is what I wanted.

I then exported as .3ds (old) newer one would not import. ;)

Opened Gmax and imported

Bingo! From here I haven't a clue what to do. If yo do teach me. If a different way- teach me. Ano... what do you think? thanx guys

tgibson

Resource contributor
When you export as a 3DS file all animations are lost, so you would have to start over. There are several tutorials on how to animate jetways in GMAX/3DS Max.

=rk=

Resource contributor
I can't see a thing from here, can you maybe upload your .fsc or something?

Here is the fsc with animation and the Gmax which I converted from the fsc.. which of course lost the animation. I did not include the textures. If needed let me know. A friend of mine found a nice tutorial on how to animate in Gmax. Holy cow that is complicated. But at then end he never mentioned how to trigger the animation and/or what to use for a trigger. I would assume it would be something like ctl+j.
Having never used Gmax I am out to0 lunch on this! ;)

zip file contains both.

Attachments

=rk=

Resource contributor
Ok, so you have an actual jetway and when you write gate, I picture a moveable partition, oops. The thing that's significant is that jetways do not move in a linear motion. This is why they are modeled with bones, so they can move like a human arm would. This video shows the articulation pretty well. The author has it intentionally configured to not line up with the gate and he is explaining how to make that adjustment.

The reason this is important, is because jetways have to align to different aircraft. Therefore, the animation isn't linear, in fact, you don't really animate, at all. It's probably best to just hear it from Arno in his own words.

This is something that this jetway will never do, because it only extends and retracts and you must already know this. So what we'll want to do, is know what plane you will be using, or get an example of it, because we're going to want to set the catapult portion of the animation sequence under where your launch bar would sit while the plane is next to the jetway. The launch bar attach point can be anywhere, really, as long as it is over the catapult end (which can also be relatively anywhere, there are distance constraints), so long as you have a visual reference to align to.

The sequence will be that you maneuver close to the visual reference and deploy the launch bar. This will have the dual action of aligning the aircraft to the catapult, this can't be avoided and it will also initiate the blast door animation, whos tag we will replace your ambient animation tag with. The blast door sequence will run your jetway to full extension and stop and when you disengage the launch bar, the jetway will reverse direction and retract. You're not intended to ever use the launch portion of this particular animation, of course.

I have two of these. one extends and retracts the other just extends then snaps back. both work.

I know there is more to this, but one question of mine is... what is used as a trigger to cause the animation to st art, and how is this done?

Airplane/ I would imagine an A300 Airbus? Yes- I never did any animation for different sized aircraft. I would imagine that this model would have embedded triggers for this plane or for that plane? and th anx for working with me on this.

As I said previously I do have Gmax now and this model loaded, but I haven'a clue what to do at this point. I saw a tutorial, but it is extremely complicated... and when done and shown in the sim... he never told me how to trigger it.

Both models I have are animated but they do not have bon es.So I guess I will have to redo the animation in Gmax and add bones. gotta get my drawing board back out of the closet I guess. hahaha Again- appreciate the time you are spending on this. Thanx again.