• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Annotator result not visible in FS

Country
luxembourg
Hey guys, I am currently doing the autogen in FS2004 for aviasim's upcoming project: EDRJ. I am using the FS2004 SDK with annotator.exe and I want to add vegetations to EDRJ. I read the Autogen SDK.doc which comes with the SDK and I did (in my best mind) my best to get the vegetation in FS2004. I just have done the vegetation part as I don't need any houses in the scenery.

I have a costum (Darren did it) ground polygon in the scenery, which has been done with 3dsmax. In addition he has added this line to the ASM so that autogen will not be overriden by the ground polygon. The ground polygon exists of 15 files in the DXT3 Format (with AlphaChannel) with a size of 2048X2048 Pixels. I now want to make vegetation for the first file (named EDRJ1.bmp). I have then to convert my DXT3 file to a DXT1 (with alpha channel) using the DXT1 Bitmap Manipulator.

After this is finished I start up annotator.exe and click on the file I just created with the DXT1 Bitmap Manipulator (EDRJ1.bmp). This looks then like this in annotator.exe after the file was loaded:

Then I go to File-->Properties-->Vegetation to set everything to my pleasure. The properties are those:

After this is set I close the window and just make my rectangles where I want vegetation. After doing this it looks like:

Then I export this. I go to File-->Save. Then I have besides my EDRJ1.bmp a file called edrj1an.agn (Filesize: 328 Bytes).

I copy and paste the two files to the "FS9 root folder"\Addon Scenery\EDRJ\texture -folder.
After this I fire up FS9 and want to see the results. Then the "big bang". No Autogen over there. Now I am hanging on this problem since 18:00 o'clock. Read a lot about this, but nothing helps me. There is no exclude anymore (if I am correct) and nothing else which should interfere with this.
Did I made a mistake somewhere? Did I missed something? Or am I simply too dumb to make this autogen?

I hope someone can help me...

Last edited:
You can only annotate tiles created with resample.exe, you can't add autogen this way to ground polys.

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
Annotated autogen only works with :

1. Resampled ground imagery

or

2. Landclass textures

It is the latter that seems to have confused you, when reading the annotator documentation. You cannot annotate textures associated with groundpoly or other 3D geometry using the autogen annotator. You may only annotate Landclass texture tiles (this is not what you are working with)

It would be possible to underlay a relatively lo-resolution photoreal to bind to your annotation. You would then need to open the resampled bgl file, and annotate onto that.

The big problem you are likely to run into is the autogen suppression from the groundpoly itself. This will require the appropriate tweaks in the asm code to overcome.

Will it work as it is designed to? Yes.

Last edited: