• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Announcing aniLinker

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It is time to announce a new tool. So hereby I present to you: aniLinker.

As the name already indicates this is a tool that will allow you to linker animations, almost any animation.

This tool is based on the technology of CAT, but it is used different. With this tool you can combine multiple animations as made in GMax. This way you can make animations that are longer than 1024 frames or 55 seconds. This would be useful for making driving traffic on your airport for example. But I think you can think of a lot more purposes.

At this moment mainly the interface is done, I am still coding on the rest of the tool. I can't tell you when the first beta will be there yet. But if someone already has suggestions or questions relating to the screenshots, please let me know.

Attachments

• aniLinker01.jpg
    aniLinker01.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 963
  • aniLinker02.jpg
    aniLinker02.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 966
  • aniLinker03.jpg
    aniLinker03.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 906
Amazing! Now I realize I may never finish my sceneries if Arno keeps crankin' out toys to play with! :scratchch

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Little update. As I am having a few free days now, I hope to be able get a beta version ready soon. No promises as usual of course :D.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Arno.

I was actually thinking of creating a tool to convert XYZ location, plus rotation, to x file format. That would allow MakeMDL to process the animation.

The limitation of 1024 keyframes is a limitation of gmax. I'm not sure what the sim's limitation is.

I think the same problem was thought about with BusyObjects.

Dick

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Dick,

Intersting idea, but I actually think it is a limitation of MakeMDL not of GMax (looking to the ASM files I don't think it can be increased easily at the moment). But it would be interesting to see that confirmed of course.

I have been discussing with Nick that we should use an import script like BusyObjects to make it easier to load your paths in GMax.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Arno.

We're both right. :(

Gmax has a limit of 1024, but MakeMDL has a further limit of 832.

If you export more than 832 keyframes, MakeMDL will either crash, or you'll get the first few keyframes truncated ( they'll skip frames, and still limit the output to 832 ).

You're approach is right. If there is to be any keyframe addition, it needs to be done in the ASM code.

Dick

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
rhumbaflappy said:
Hi Arno.

We're both right. :(

Gmax has a limit of 1024, but MakeMDL has a further limit of 832.

If you export more than 832 keyframes, MakeMDL will either crash, or you'll get the first few keyframes truncated ( they'll skip frames, and still limit the output to 832 ).

You're approach is right. If there is to be any keyframe addition, it needs to be done in the ASM code.

Dick

Hi Dick,

I have not hit that limit. Can you explain further from your findings... I have exported an obect as a test with one keyframe per gmax frame 1024 frames with no issue.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Nick.

I'd be interrested in seeing a .gmax file that doesn't get truncated to a maximum of 832. Can you attach one, and it's _0.asm file?

I'm finding Makemdl isn't very consistant, and randomly deletes all kinds of keyframes.

:(

Dick

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
OK... Interesting :)

It works with FS2002 Gamepack, not FS2004. I had not noticed the change.

FS2002.... ASM

Attachments

• movingbox_0.asm
    8.5 KB · Views: 742

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Nick.

That's exactly my point. Animation is crippled in FS2004... unreliable if over 832 keyframes are used ( and that number may change as well ).

There are 2 versions of makemdl for FS9... and neither one works right.

If the reliable limit is 832 ( or less ) then there is even more need for a program like Arno's.

I also haven't yet figured if any further limit is imposed by the sim, or BGLC_9 ( though I doubt BGLC_9 has a limit to the number of keyframes ).

Dick

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Dick,

If I look at the structure of the code used I agree with you that BGLC will not have a limitation.

If the scenery engine has an limitation I am not sure. At this moment the interpolation table that turns the tick18 variable into the framenumbers seems to be limited to 1024 frames. I am not sure yet if this table can be extended for longer animations. Might be a nice idea to test that.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hey Arno

Just curious to know how the project is coming along.

Can I ask also

Will the program have the ability to have the animation run, then stop for a X number of minutes, then carry on with its journey, then stop for X number of minutes, Then repeat.

I ask as I have made an animation with Gmax, but at the moment its just continuous.

Stevo

P.S The anitmation is 1024 frames and I have no problems, it run nice and smooth

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Stevo,

It is not going as fast as I would like, as I have been rather busy lately (graduation coming close :)). So can't really give an estimation of the finish date at the moment.

For each segment (file) of your animation you will be able to set a condition, just like in CAT. If you would use the minutes of the hour variable for this you should also be able to let if wait a few minutes.

Country
us-southcarolina
Does this mean that you would be able to set an animation to a COMM code, like for opening hangar doors?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, triggers similar to CAT are used. But you can set different ones for different segments of your animation.