• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Anybody here using Substance Painter for FSX/P3D texture creation? How useful is it on a scale of 1-10...

I just started playing around with the free trial for this last week, and at first glance I have to say that it seems pretty incredible for getting realistic materials set up in a quick and dirty way. However, the software is based on a PBR graphics engine, which P3D doesn't seem to be jumping to anytime soon. Anyway, check out the pic below, which I'm 99% sure was taken in Substance Painter (judging by the background color and material lighting.) Regardless of your taste in aircraft cleanliness, you have to admit that it's absolutely jaw dropping.

I've seen a lot of amazing shots from various painters who appear to be using SP for their P3D artwork, but the problem is that just about all of them are from within the program itself...not in the simulator. This makes me a bit skeptical of how useful it would actually be when P3D's use of texture maps is so much more "medieval" than what a PBR engine can do.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to just paint our textures in 3D and simply export them into their respective maps in one click? I feel that fiddling with all of these map components and trying to reproduce the desired effects in P3D would be a waste of time compared to just sticking with a 2D layered painting program...But it would be nice to see some evidence of SP's superiority in the sim world, because I really like the idea of painting in 3D. It seems to me like this is becoming the standard for texture creation in the game industry as a whole.

Since you seem pretty knowledgeable about PBR, I was wondering if you've ever looked at the SpeedTree DDS textures in P3d. There's something that I've never understood. ST definitely supports PBR, but I'm assuming that the Normal and Specular textures must be present but unused. Are the Normal and Specular textures just ignored in P3d4? Is that also why the SpeedTree colors look so weird in P3d4?

And I looked at Substance Painter, but it's well beyond what my needs are.

Last edited:
Since you seem pretty knowledgeable about PBR, I was wondering if you've ever looked at the SpeedTree DDS textures in P3d. There's something that I've never understood. ST definitely supports PBR, but I'm assuming that the Normal and Specular textures must be present but unused. Are the Normal and Specular textures just ignored in P3d4? Is that also why the SpeedTree colors look so weird in P3d4?

And I looked at Substance Painter, but it's well beyond what my needs are.
Oh, I'm not by any means an expert in PBR. I understand the basic principles, like the conservation of light energy between a material's diffuse and specular reflections, but beyond that I'm a total noob. I've never tried messing with a game or simulator that actually uses it.

I've noticed the SpeedTrees in DCS seem to have that same look about them, although the more saturated environment and PBR keep them from standing out quite as awkwardly. Even then, they still appear a bit too flat and vivid, especially in autumn like what can be seen in this video: DCS: River Hornet

Hi,
Yes, I use this software in my last creation with some success. You can look my post about Menestrel HN-700.
I answer from my tablet but i can give you more precisions in some hours.