• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Anyone able to help with bmp image file for gauges

Country
newzealand
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone could help with a couple of gauge bmp images. I have found some gauges to add to my MD500E instrument panel which have analog and digital read out. I have found images of the actual gauges which I would like to use to replace the default bmp images The size of the default images are 96 x 96 pixels. I resized the new images but the the numbering is to clear and is a little fuzzy here is a pic of the default image and a pic of the two actual gauges.

I have worked out how to adjust the position of the needle with some trial and error I just can't seem to get the image sorted
Default bmp.jpg
Actual gauges.jpg

Cheers

Rhys

Country
australia
I'm not sure what you want. Do you want those two gauges reduced down to 96x96 pixels? Because there is only so much you can do with 96 pixels.

Or would you like the gauges upscaled for better readability?

If the latter find attached a 2048px wide image of the gauges upsized using the nice new AI rescaling feature in Paintshop Pro which, as you can see, is pretty damn clever.
These can then be cropped and downsized again as required.

Image1.jpg

Country
newzealand
Thanks Anthony

I appreciate the reply and the images. scaling down to 96 x 96 made them hard to read but as you said there is only so much you can do with 96 pixels. The original images are 96 but there is also more detail in the new images than the default

Rhys

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
If you keep the same proportions you can use any size you want. Just change your Position and Axis numbers to match. I would think 256 x 256 would work well.

Country
newzealand
Thanks Team

I have resized the image so it looks clear and good in the panel.
I'm making some progress with the needle but I have mucked up the needle positioning so now when the needle moves it moves from the tip of the needle not the center

How do I get the x y coordinates of bmp image to match the needle position

Cheers

Rhys

Last edited:
Country
england
Needle axis is x y coordinates where the spindle would be
Then re-do your nonlinarity table
Value 0 = x*** y***
Value 1= x*** y***
Value 2= x*** y***
Ect ect

Sorry to be short typing on a phone.

Country
newzealand
Hi Maddz

I am using MS paint so I assume the x y are in pixels. I have included a photo you can't see the cursor but its on the zero and the numbers I take it as x is 53 and y is 164

x y.jpg

I am correct or still way off on how to find the x and y

Regards

Rhys

Country
england
Hi Maddz

I am using MS paint so I assume the x y are in pixels. I have included a photo you can't see the cursor but its on the zero and the numbers I take it as x is 53 and y is 164

View attachment 84018

I am correct or still way off on how to find the x and y

Regards

Rhys
For the nonlinarity table, You are correct. Do this for every value, the more, the more accurate the needle will be.
as for the axis on the needle, you would open the image of the needle in paint and point to the other end of the point of the needle - where it would rotate.
so if your needle was 10 pixels long and 4 pixels wide with it pointing to 9 o clock,your axis would be around x = 8 and y = 2 … ish.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
The Axis value is the location in the needle image that it will rotate around. Change that to where you want it to rotate around. This has nothing to do with the gauge image.