• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Anyone else ride an eBike?

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Well, my shiny new Rad Runner Plus was delivered by FedEx just before noon today. The driver picked it up and carried it across the street easily. I thought to myself "Oh joy, that doesn't look all that heavy!"

I'm happy that the driver offered to carry it into my house. There is no way I would have been able to do that by myself. OMG, this thing is H E A V Y !

The box is torn a bit on one side, but there doesn't seem to be anything but air behind the tear. I'll have to wait for my handyman to help me unbox this thing.

Country
australia
34kg (74lbs)!!!

I thought, in the pictures it would be a small little thing (maybe 20kg) but further down there's pictures with people for scale and it's massive.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I have a very energetic dog that I took to exercising with e toys at a young age. We started with one of those electric scooters and she loved that, if it had had a regenerative system, it would have never gone dead, because she was content to drag me around on it. She soon outgrew it and started to literally drag me around. That hurt.

Someone advertised a used ebike for $400 and that was great, except the 350 watt motor was too slow for her and then it got stolen from the bed of my truck. But it had been better than nothing and my dog was starting to destroy my truck with her pent up energy.

So I decided to get this folding doohickey I had to wait for from China, so dam cheap I had to be careful to not break it. No joke, the rim bent going over a rock, sure cushioned my ride, blowing out the tire and all, but it was so soft, I rebent it with a crescent wrench and a vise grip. Despite all the funkiness, that bike was freaking fast as the wind and really gave her a workout.
Finally one day I twisted the throttle too far and that was it. I took it apart and it was made from two magnets and a tiny little chip I had severed the wire from. No moving parts, besides my twist and apparently the "throttle" was inductive current from proximity to one, or the other magnet. Go figure, the thing is fly by wire! All over the bike were these combinations of innovative tech with the cheapest possible execution.

I still haven't figured out how to troubleshoot a digital throttle, maybe get a new controller board and just use a normal ebike throttle. It has pedal assist, but that stopped working at the same time. She's calmer a year later so currently I'm saving for a decent quality bike, maybe get one used from the rental vendors at the end of the season in this summer destination town. Every time I break out the folding one to work on it, she gets pretty excited, starts breaking things, so I think we still need one.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
34kg (74lbs)!!!

I thought, in the pictures it would be a small little thing (maybe 20kg) but further down there's pictures with people for scale and it's massive.
I was so excited when it arrived last Sunday! Then I tried to get it out of the MASSIVE box....
...that has proved impossible for me to do alone. :censored:

Now I'm uncertain whether I'd be able to handle getting it in and out of my house, and I'm sure not about to leave a $2000 eBike outdoors, especially over the winter!

Oh well, they offer a 14 day "free trial" so I can ship it back to them at their expense at least. All I need to do is re-tape the box and apply the return shipping label they will provide. 😭

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
That is a nice looking eBike. I suspect that the main reason the RadRunner + is so heavy is the 500watt motor and the 14Ah battery. In addition the long rear rack and thick padded seat all to the total weight....
...the two 20 inch/4.2 inch wide "fat" tires aren't light either!

Country
unitedkingdom
> Anyone else ride an eBike? <

Some kind guy in Wigan (UK) kindly let me run around a car park on his e-bike recently when I expressed an interest. I was impressed at the acceleration and smoothness. But so far Ive resisted the temptation to upgrade my 10 year-old Apollo fold-up bike (with 6 gears!! ;-) as I quite like the pain of unassisted cycling. I'll probably buy an e-bike though once my knees give out :)

Last edited: