• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Anyone using Blender 2.8?

Country
wales
Hi All and Happy New Year (sorry to be late!)
Have any of you got going with Blender 2.8? I ask for 2 reasons:
1. I'm reasonably happy with 2.79
2. I'm not sure whether the FSX module I use in 2.79 has been transferred to 2,8
I've read several positive reviews - better user interface, etc - but as I use Blender specifically for FSX modelling, I'd like to know whether the learning curve (i.e. enhanced frustration!) is worth it!
Thanks for any advice...
Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello,... and Happy New Year!

I guess the best way to answer this is to start with question #2:

The module or Plugin ["Blender2FSXP3D (v0.9.4)-(ii)", I'm assuming that is what you are referring to] hasn't been converted as of yet to Blender v2.80. Therefore, I would stay with v2.79b (the latest version that the plugin works with). Since you are happy with the plugin and with Blender v2.79b, there isn't any reason to change (as of yet :) ).

Blender v2.80 hasn't been technically released yet (still in beta), along with the Python Documentation as well... that is why the Plugin hasn't been updated yet.

Country
wales
Doug - apologies for tardy reply but thanks very much. Strangely, I like 2.79! It may be cumbersome, but I can use the basic functions and make simple models, so that's fine for me.

When the new version of Blender2FSXP3D comes out, I'll have a more detailed look at 2.8

Good luck!

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Ive started migrating across to 2.8 this week - The decision to not used Blender2FSXP3D (v0.9.4) was made immediately . As 2.8 is still in beta I thought that anything added which is NOT custom to that platform may just have effects that will cause more issue than it solves. This is especially so now with EVEE in there. I think going back to the old export dae and then to MCX is the safer route and may also safeguard any lengthy hard work youve put in.

There are positives already in 2.8 especially the texturing and less screen based menus that can be intimidating. I think Doug has point - you could make a test using Blender2FSXP3D (v0.9.4 ) if your not have just drop drop 2.8 - as your probably aware you can have both version 79 and 80 on the same drive and call them independently

Country
wales
Thanks for that 'gfx' (sorry, don't know your name!) - I guess I'll install 2.8 and try it out but, as you suggest, leave main work for 2.79 as it meets my current needs.

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
To have a look around 2.8 check out Andrew here

he blender guru and I found this quite interesting

gareth

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
This is the interface on 2.8 - image one is the texture paint view and image two the new shader view of the Terminal 3 Side Carpark Im working on for Heathrow. Note the carpark decks - the ease of applying multiple textures/materials to the is much better as your using the nodes and that speeds it up

Attachments

• text_paint _View.jpg
    text_paint _View.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 444
  • Shader_view.jpg
    Shader_view.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 405
Country
wales
O.K. Gareth - you've convinced me - I'll try 2.8 out, even if I can't use Blender2FSXP3D yet.

And thanks for the link to BlenderGuru's video - great stuff...

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
No probs Dai , at worst you've tried the 2.8 beta - you lose nothing at all, at least that the way Im looking at it

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
There is some risk with this. With the 2.8 version I am trying out, if you save a file, it won't open in earlier versions of Blender.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
That was expected considering the big change in v2.80.

Besides, as to all beta versions are not to be used with or in conjunction with production versions anyways. Even the blender site states this.

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
In the main software platforms are Not upscaleable for saved files - you can, if required export them off as a file type that prior versions can read but of course you will lose some functionality -

I've used it for a for models now - its pretty good , however, Im still a novice so my opinion is low on the scale