• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 AOA is jumpy in windy conditions

Country
unitedstates
Is there a good method to prevent the wind from making the AOA indicator jumpy? I never noticed this until recently that our AOA gauges we create get very jumpy in high wind conditions. Is this normal behavior?
Only solution i can think of is a bit of lag added to the code animation.

Country
us-ohio
In that case, yes a lag is probably the best approach. I have never used that value myself as I find it can be not as accurate as I prefer. All of the AOA gauges I have coded had values from 0 to 1... representing 0 to 100% lift potential of the wing. Maximum lift potential aligns with maximum angle of attack. So I typically calculated the current CL (coefficient of lift) and used it as a percentage of maximum CL for controlling the needle value.

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
The AOA probe is designed to rotate in airflow so that its aerodynamic null is a fairly accurate indication of the direction of the airflow. It reacts to surface wind in a similar way. Surface wind is always turbulent, varying in strength and direction, so the AOA indication being jumpy is normal if the surface wind is high. Similarly jet exhaust from an airplane in front of you can give erratic AOA indications.
Roy

Country
unitedstates
The AOA probe is designed to rotate in airflow so that its aerodynamic null is a fairly accurate indication of the direction of the airflow. It reacts to surface wind in a similar way. Surface wind is always turbulent, varying in strength and direction, so the AOA indication being jumpy is normal if the surface wind is high. Similarly jet exhaust from an airplane in front of you can give erratic AOA indications.
Roy
Thanks for your info.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Anecdotally, I once invested a few hours animating the AoA vanes in an aircraft accurately. To my knowledge, no one ever noticed... :rotfl:

Country
us-ohio
Won't even mention that some aircraft don't use vanes, but rather some rather sophisticated tubes and sensors on the fuselage... oops... I just did. My bad!

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
Won't even mention that some aircraft don't use vanes, but rather some rather sophisticated tubes and sensors on the fuselage... oops... I just did. My bad!
I think the question was why rather than how, at least that was my take.
Roy

Country
us-ohio
"Is there a good method" is the how... "Is this normal behavior" is the why... I'd say he asked both. But my second response was only in relation to Bill's post regarding animating the vane on the model.