• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Aprons with custom texture misbehaving [SOLVED]

Country
finland
I have made a custom material with an arrow resembling the ones used at this airport. I have placed them on the runway extension using square aprons. Made one and duplicated it. I also made the custom threshold marks using the same procedure with another, simple white material. Everything looks fine in Dev Mode:

problem1.png

The small aprons are all in priority level 40 - far above all other aprons in this scenery. The "Force above runway" is also ticked. They do not exclude vegetation. The materials are all good - no problems in the build process and as far as I can see everything is included in the package that I have copied to Community. It looks the same when I exit Dev Mode. But when I restart the simulator and go to the airport it looks like this:

problem2.png

Going back to dev mode and everything is all right again...

I can't get my head around the reason. Does anyone have an idea on what to do about this?

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I'd make a test scenery with nothing in it but the apron and see if that shows first. Then add elements to see what causes the problem.

Country
finland
Well, many many tests and quite a lot of new grey hair later...

The reason for the problem was this: I had named the material library as "ICAO_materials". The source directory was PackageSources\materials an I had set the output directory to MaterialLibs\materials. All materials showed up nicely in DevMode, but (as seen in the picture above) the aprons with these custom materials had no materials and were shown in a curious way below the runway and other apron textures. I finally found, that the output directory has to be named according to the material library name - so when I changed the output dirctory to MaterialLibs\ICAO_materials everything started working corectly!

This version 1.9.x is VERY picky about folder structures (and curiously behaves different in DevMode and in the sim itself)...

Country
sweden
Maybe I just hijack your topic instead of opening a new one, because my problem strongly relates your issue.
Wanted to include aprons in my scenery, but can't change it's texture from the default grey concrete texture. How do you change it to asphalt type for example? And when I click on the texture name to change, it disappears and then it can't be changed back at all.

Country
finland
Select the wanted texture type in the Materials, then select your Apron and click on the Surface type in the Apron properties so that it changes to the wanted type. If nothing happens you probably have your apron at a too low priority level. Increase the priority until you see it.

Country
unitedstates

The reason for the problem was this: I had named the material library as "ICAO_materials". The source directory was PackageSources\materials an I had set the output directory to MaterialLibs\materials. All materials showed up nicely in DevMode, but (as seen in the picture above) the aprons with these custom materials had no materials and were shown in a curious way below the runway and other apron textures. I finally found, that the output directory has to be named according to the material library name - so when I changed the output dirctory to MaterialLibs\ICAO_materials everything started working corectly!

This version 1.9.x is VERY picky about folder structures (and curiously behaves different in DevMode and in the sim itself)...
I believe it behaves differently because in Devmode it's using textures in the cache location, not from any particular directory structure. It DOES NOT use the texture files that you pick to create the material, so no matter what file you choose if, say, you attempt to change the png file and reload the material to edit the material, it'll still use what's in cache unless you choose a different filename for the texture png file that you have selected in the material, if that makes sense.

But, apparently FS is VERY particular about what directories files are kept in when the game is running. When I had my LVW_cfg.xml file in "LivingWorld Config" and everything was properly called out in the layout.json, it didn't start working until I called the directory "LivingWorld_Config" (as called out in the SDK).

Last edited:
Country
sweden
Select the wanted texture type in the Materials, then select your Apron and click on the Surface type in the Apron properties so that it changes to the wanted type. If nothing happens you probably have your apron at a too low priority level. Increase the priority until you see it.
Thank you, it works! I have to familiarize myself with the priorities, I had the same problem with polygons before I did not set their priorities correctly.

Country
ukraine

Thank you very much! You saved my nervous system!

Angelus1971

Resource contributor
Country
scotland
I believe it behaves differently because in Devmode it's using textures in the cache location, not from any particular directory structure. It DOES NOT use the texture files that you pick to create the material, so no matter what file you choose if, say, you attempt to change the png file and reload the material to edit the material, it'll still use what's in cache unless you choose a different filename for the texture png file that you have selected in the material, if that makes sense.

But, apparently FS is VERY particular about what directories files are kept in when the game is running. When I had my LVW_cfg.xml file in "LivingWorld Config" and everything was properly called out in the layout.json, it didn't start working until I called the directory "LivingWorld_Config" (as called out in the SDK).
Found something quite interesting related to what you said with the cache.

If you delete the texture in the Material Library (using the X beside Abelio and not the delete button (i can never get the delete button to work!) and then shut down the game.

The go to your cache directory

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\$PC$\DATA\<your dir names>\PACKAGESOURCES\MATERIALS\TEXTURES

This directory contains NNZ files - these are the cache names and files that the games uses and it is why if you change your original .png and keep it the same name, you always see what version of the file you used first.

If you delete the NNZ for the texture you want to change (assuming you deleted it in the game as above), you can re-add the updated texture with the same name and it will create a new cache (NNZ file) for you to use.

Wish i had found this out a couple of weeks ago!

Hi
@WildLynxPilot @szcsongor
found this topic when I search on web,

i have a new question
when we use apron to override texture on everywhere , which i did some areas and they are working.
but when there is close touch between taxi path and apron area taxi path destroy itself and creates weird shapes
which you can see on the picture
what can be the solution for this problem ?
haven’t find any solution

thank you.

1625540827697.png

Country
finland
I never have the "draw surface" or "center line" ticked on taxiways. I always make the surface as aprons and all lines as painted lines. Much more control that way, smoother curves on the lines and nicer result.

Country
finland
From the picture it seems that your taxiway paths are far too wide, as the holding point line is so long!

From the picture it seems that your taxiway paths are far too wide, as the holding point line is so long!
Hi thanks for the answer. It’s not only the line is distorting , taxiway itselfs too. That’s why it looks wider.it’s also making too wide itself. But it works on other areas without issue. When i build apron near then it’s making that weird crazy shapes and lines.

Last edited:
Country
italy
I have already seen this behaviour (weird shapes when points of different features (like aprons and painted Lines) are too close, (lets Say 50 cm),
solved by making them a bit far apart
Anyway, as per the wildlinx statement, pretty much everyone use aprons+painted Lines for taxyways, aprons are really much more poweful and customizable
Of course under the apron you should have your taxy network for ai purposes,just Remember to uncheck draw surface and enter correct taxy span size for each segment (between each taxy point)

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

I have already seen this behaviour (weird shapes when points of different features (like aprons and painted Lines) are too close, (lets Say 50 cm),
solved by making them a bit far apart
Anyway, as per the wildlinx statement, pretty much everyone use aprons+painted Lines for taxyways, aprons are really much more poweful and customizable
Of course under the apron you should have your taxy network for ai purposes,just Remember to uncheck draw surface and enter correct taxy span size for each segment (between each taxy point)

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk
actually when i am out from the developer mode to normal mode it was making that issue. but when i start the game from beginning its fixes itself. so problem solved :)