• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Arabic Words needed!

Country
germany
i,

I am looking for someone who is able to provide me with a couple of words in Arabic (which is common in Egypt) for my Marsa Alam airport project. As the picture material and hand drawing the arabic letters do not meet my quality expectations and they obviously use a "simplified" version of the words it is not possible to just use a translation tool. Preferably they are converted to Photoshop paths!

The words I need for signs at the airport are:
  • Departure
  • Arrival
  • International Arrival
  • Domestic Arrival
  • Ground Support Equipment Parking
Thanks for your help!!!

1165427561.jpg

Last edited:

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I have been working on a model that has both Czech and Russian labels on the gauges and panel. I change the language in Windows and display the on screen keyboard then type what I need. This method works great for me.

Country
italy
There is a specific program in Windows that contains all the fonts and words in the system. You have to search it in the start menu. I don't know exactly the name in English, translated from my language it would be "font map"

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Um, the "font" isn't the only problem!

Do you know what the desired signs actual Arabic words are? That's something that is a bit more of a challenge!

Hang on! Help is on the way courtesy of http://www/translate.google.com

Arrival......وصول

Departure.......رحيل
International Arrival......وصول الدولي

Domestic Arrival........وصول المحلي
Ground Support Equipment Parking.......معدات الدعم الأرضي وقوف السيارات

I should think that a copy/paste into Photoshop and a bit of judicious sizing and stretching should do the trick... :wizard:

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
If you use Google translate and follow what I said above you can type in words and short phrases. Translate what you need. Change the language in windows, Arabic is included, then open the onscreen keyboard all the characters will be displayed on this keyboard for your reference while you type on your real keyboard. You can then type directly into Photoshop.
I say short phrases because Google translate is not very good with sentences, the translation will end up with poor grammar and improper word placing.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I thought that arabic was read from right to left :stirthepo
It is. Note that the "Arabic text" is translated in the same order as the English text. Simply invert the positions and all will be well.

Notice that the same word for "Arrival" is used in the "International Arrival" translation, but it's order is the same as the English phrase. Swap the two bits of Arabic to be correct.

Note also that the Arabic characters for "Arrival" are identical to that in the photo. So, reversing the Arabic words, this would be correct now.

International Arrival...... الدوليوصول

EDIT: I just noticed that if you carefully paste the Arabic characters one at a time in Photoshop's "Text" entry, you can copy/paste them directly from translate.google.com's window! That will save the bother of finding them on the virtual keyboard. Unfortunately, copy/pasting the entire word into the "Text" tool's window will invert the character's order. Here is the result of a quick test. I have rasterized the characters and used the Transform/Scale tool to stretch them slightly.
iQrWN.png

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Note also that the Arabic characters for "Arrival" are identical to that in the photo. So, reversing the Arabic words, this would be correct now.

International Arrival...... الدوليوصول

This may not be correct. In some languages "International Arrival" would be "Arrival International", so Google Translate could be correct when it translates it to وصول الدولي

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
That may well be. I once spoke Farsi fairly fluently (a close relative of Arabic), but having not used it since around 1964, have forgotten all but a handful of words...

...and them the ones best not used in polite company. :rotfl:

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
You are truly a man of the world Bill. We learn something new about the secret life of n4gix. I've got to ask, what does n4gix stand for? Is it something like lsmft or srtr4k?

tylerpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
There is a specific program in Windows that contains all the fonts and words in the system. You have to search it in the start menu. I don't know exactly the name in English, translated from my language it would be "font map"
That would be character map.
Um, the "font" isn't the only problem!

Do you know what the desired signs actual Arabic words are? That's something that is a bit more of a challenge!

Hang on! Help is on the way courtesy of http://www/translate.google.com

Arrival......وصول

Departure.......رحيل
International Arrival......
وصول الدولي

Domestic Arrival........وصول المحلي
Ground Support Equipment Parking.......معدات الدعم الأرضي وقوف السيارات

I should think that a copy/paste into Photoshop and a bit of judicious sizing and stretching should do the trick... :wizard:
But when the arabic words are put into google translate and translated back to english, they do not say the same thing as before. For example وصول translates back to "access", instead of arrival. Google translate isn't a reliable source.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I've got to ask, what does n4gix stand for? Is it something like lsmft or srtr4k?
N4GIX is my FCC issued amateur radio license. It's similar to the FAA issued aircraft registration numbers, in that it is entirely unique.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
That would be character map.

But when the arabic words are put into google translate and translated back to english, they do not say the same thing as before. For example وصول translates back to "access", instead of arrival. Google translate isn't a reliable source.
Ah, but did you bother to compare that with the PHOTO of the actual sign?

They are identical characters. Arabic words rarely translate back into their exact English equivalents.

Moreover, checking at the 'synonyms' for that word, "arrival" is the 2nd most frequent meaning:
NOUNS
access
وصول, مدخل, طريقة الوصول الى, حرية الوصول الى, الاذن بالدخول إلى, دنو
arrival
الوافد, وصول, وفادة
oncoming
اقتراب, دنو, وصول
incoming
وصول, واردات, قدوم, جديد

PHRASE
Arrivals

Last edited:

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
N4GIX is my FCC issued amateur radio license. It's similar to the FAA issued aircraft registration numbers, in that it is entirely unique.
A regular HAM! Hertz, Armstrong, Marconi

For those who don't know what the acronyms are that I posted,
lucky strikes mean fine tobacco
silly rabbit trix are for kids :p

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Really? I've always heard LSMFT stood for "Loose Straps Mean Floppy Tits..." :duck:

Other acronyms:
Alitalia: A Little Italian Tradition And Lotsa Italian Attitude
BOAC: Better On A Camel
BWIA: Baggage Wandering In Africa
TWA: Try Walking Awhile

* More here: http://cargotracking.utopiax.org/jokes3.html

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
When I was a kid LSMFT was used in many different ways most better left unsaid. BTW, it's teats in proper company. :rolleyes:

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Bill's erudition is a constant surprise and frequent delight. Some more from er, motoring circles:–

FIAT: fix it again tomorrow
LOTUS: loads of trouble, usually serious (a mechanic friend corroborated this...)

and you probably know PINTO: put in nickel to operate. :confused:

Last edited: