Are fences still a problem?

bpahe

Resource contributor
...if so, maybe I have found a solution? I do recall that the visibility through fences have been discussed before, but when I created my own I discovered that the see-through works just like it should - neither objects nor my own aircraft is invisible through the fences. This might be common knowledge by now, but I created a gmax box with narrow sides, removed the sides, textured those that where left (the faces of the fence) and exported. Since the backsides of each face are non-textured, I guess that you in some way fool the graphics engine of FS2004 so that objects are visible through the fence. If this is interesting, I´d be happy to provide more info.

/hans

Hans,
the only thing I wanted to ask is what type of textures do You use for Your fences, DXT1 or DXT3? If You use DXT1, then I am not surprised that You do not have any problems. I don't have them either :) And really, thank You for the tip!

Best regards,

bpahe

Resource contributor
Hi Goran!

Well, in a way it´s good to know that I´m not the first!

Checking my texture in ImageTool right now, it´s a DXT3 texture that I´ve used... :scratchch

/hans

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
It depends on the size of your fence I think. The bleedthrough problem is caused by problems with the distance to the RefPoint. So if you only have a small fence the chance of trouble is small.