Arno, have you seen this?

At Sim-Outhouse, they found out about websites being pirated from their 'index' pages. A duplicate of the website is created and then they start advertising on them. You never even realize this is happening.

So... I wonder, from the outage the other day, over the weekend, could it be that someone may have created a duplicate site somewhere, like Russia and is going to duplicate this site?

Sounds crazy, but I am finding links to 'newsite.fsdeveloper.com' on web searches on Google.

Bill

n4gix

Resource contributor
If that were the case Bill, why would THIS post already be there, along with your answer, and...

...I suspect my reply will be there as well.... :)

n4gix

Resource contributor
If that were the case Bill, why would THIS post already be there, along with your answer, and...

...I suspect my reply will be there as well.... :)
Yep, there it is! Typing this reply from "the other site..." :D

http://www.whois.com/whois/newsite.net
http://www.whois.com/whois/newsite.com

www.newsite.fsdeveloper.com is an invalid domain according to WHOIS. So its copied to the newsite domain, probably one of the 2 above. They been around since the 90's. I think they are the closers Obiwan was looking for.

I found their IP or an IP once used by them 173.233.77.148

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?ip=173.233.77.148

Resembles a redirect or a hosting service.

I would not enter your login info on that site until you hear from Arno.

hcornea

Resource contributor
Funny, but i think the last bit of the domain is what counts.

Hence

Newsite.com would not be equivalent to newsite.fsdeveloper.com

A little like prepaid.vodafone.com, usually a subsite on the original domain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

That newsite prefix is a leftover from years ago when we switched the site to a new forum. For a while we were testing the new configuration at newsite.fsdeveloper.com, while the active one was still at fsdeveloper.com. We just told nobody about it.

But it seems search engines must have picked it up or so. At the moment they both just point to the same location, newsite.fsdeveloper.com redirects to fsdeveloper.com. But when redirecting the URL you see should be updated, somehow that does not always happen.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I have updated the domain records a bit now, newsite.fsdeveloper.com should now be correctly forwarded to fsdeveloper.com. So from now on you should only see the normal name.

Funny, but i think the last bit of the domain is what counts.

Hence

Newsite.com would not be equivalent to newsite.fsdeveloper.com

A little like prepaid.vodafone.com, usually a subsite on the original domain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I was thinking that but then I found the newsite services in the whois dbases. cant hurt to be overly cautious with all the malware floating around out there.

Atleast arno cleared it up. :)