• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Asset Group is nested in another one.

Country
australia
I get this error when placing my scenery object more than once. Has SDK changed?

I did not have this error when placing the same object twice some weeks ago but now when I start again and place my object once and also do a Build All there is NO error BUT when I place the same object in another place the error occurs.

I have tried 'resetting' my project by removing/deleting the _PackageInt, Packages and PackagesMetaData folder and rebuilding them but the error continues.

I do not know anything else to try.

Any ideas?

Country
australia
OK I used a previous project which worked. Loaded it, build package, build all and all worked without error.

I then made a copy of it (the top folder and all sub folders) , replaced my model with the modified model (new model name so that I know it is the latest) and tried again I still get the error.
The ONLY difference between the two projects is one has an updated model in the model lib (.glTF, .bin and .XML).
How can an updated model cause this problem? This is CRAZY!
[added later]
It appears it has something to do with PART of my model. When I remove the street lamps and export as MSFS glTF and use that in my project I do not get the error.
I have NO idea how part of my model can cause problems in SDK.
I have attached the 'street lamp'.

Attachments

• street_light.zip
    39.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
MSFS does not allow external editing of built packages. You will have to learn how to hack the package json file, if you intend to hack built packages. Someone has written a tool and you can drop the json file on it to reset it for your edits.

Country
australia
Thanks Rick I didn't think that I was trying to do that.
What I did was use an existing working project and then replace the models in modellib, open the project, load into editor (the models needed placing again) and then build all. I had previously done the same in the past when I improved my model(s) with no problems. Anyway I am looking at there being something INSIDE a model which seems to be causing the problem if that is possible.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Let me try to explain what I and maybe others see.
OK I used a previous project which worked. Loaded it, build package, build all and all worked without error.
You might want to be clearer with what you exactly do, because right now, it looks like, "within the simulator in DevMode you opened and existing project, clicked build package and build all." It might be that I am missing something, but then I see:
I then made a copy of it (the top folder and all sub folders) , replaced my model with the modified model (new model name so that I know it is the latest) and tried again I still get the error.
So presumably, you are still in the same DevMode session, still the same particular project.xml is open and while this build is in the virtual file system, you edit the package sources folder, add a new iteration of the same model with changes and then again, initiate a build operation, while the previous build remains in the virtual file system, is this assumption correct?

Because if it is, I'll observe that you've never applied the clean all function and if that is the case, I would also observe that providing nested asset groups, seems like an extremely appropriate response to a circumstance that almost certainly, is not intended to occur. If for not using "Clean All," after testing and editing a build, when might you use it?

See, I don't do it this way, I set up a build and start placing and if objects are wonky, or I forgot to add a waving flag, or something, I'll trash the entire build, not even leave the project open, back to the basic user interface, if not the hangar. I don't shut down the sim, but I make sure I've do my apelike best to flush the VFS. Not to imply it seems like black magic to me, I'm just superstitious. Then I'll edit my modellib, re open the project and start placing. So I never use "Clean All," either.

But I can offer a placement tip left over from FSX. Let's say you do have a successful build session and you want to save that progress, but later you notice that one of the models, placed many times, such that resetting all those placements would be tedious, is defective in some way. You can edit that model in the modellib and for this, you have to be careful to use the same name and GUID. The next time you initiate a build, that new version will be placed in all the locations.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I placed your object several times in a project and it is OK for me.

Country
australia
Sorry for any confusion. Yes I too 'trash' everything by exiting MSFS, make changes and then start MSFS and reload.

In a nut shell the problem started happening when I simply modified my scenery object/model using Blender.

Dick I thought the problem was with the street light which is part (imported extra) of the whole model as in trying to solve the problem I decided to remove it (as it was part of the modification I did to the entire model) from the model and when I did I did not get the error. I had only placed the model once when a BUILD all returned no error and so I thought this was the culprit. Read on for the full story.

I used the project containing the previous model (and which does NOT cause any error) and replaced the model (in modellib) with the new one (it now has a different name so I can identify it) and then in SDK when I load the project, etc etc, place it then do a BUILD ALL the error happens. I did NOT have MSFS open when I modified the model and modified the (modellib) project - I reopened MSFS and loaded the project.
[added later]
BUT the (nested) error ONLY occurs when I add the same scenery object/model in for a second time. I can add the model in once BUILD ALL and no error. When I add the same model again and do a BUILD ALL the (nesting) error occurs.

Last edited:
Country
australia
Hey guys I need to 'park' this problem.
The error appears to not be there anymore.

What I did was exactly what I did as described above.

When I added the same object the second time and the error was displayed in the console I did a SAVE SCENERY, did a BUILD ALL again and STILL got the error.

I exited MSFS and restarted
I loaded the project, did a BUILD PACKAGE and LOAD IN EDITOR. My objects were displayed correctly (remember I did a save scenery). I then did a BUILD ALL and NO errors were displayed in the console.
Anyone have any ideas how this can happen?

Country
australia
This error (asset group is nested) has just happened again and this time after I simply added some stock lighting (warm light) along the road.
Build all BEFORE adding the lighting produced NO errors, added the warm lights and did a BUILD ALL and got the error. Tried reloading the project and BUILD ALL produced the error again. Also tried a CLEAN ALL and then a BUILD ALL again and still the error.
Exited MSFS and started again and loaded the project and did a BUILD ALL with NO error. Is there a problem in SDK? Its a bit wacko.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi John. We're just guessing here. Give us a link to a zipped project that fails for you, and we might be able to isolate it.

Country
australia
Thanks Dick. Looking at my modellib folder I find some texture files in the modellib folder (they should not be there) as well as redundant textures now not used in my model inside the textures folder. Could that cause a problem? I have sent you a link to my project.
BTW just now I reproduced the error and all I did was load the project, BUILD PACKAGE then I added ONE ONLY 'warm light' object to an area on the road where it was no lit up by other lights and did a BUILD ALL so I suggest that you try that.

Also I have noticed for a while with this project that on certain 'actions' (eg selecting an asset on the screen by clicking on it) I get a magenta colorization around the model displayed see image below. Thos always seems to'follow' one particular polygon (see image). Does this indicate there is a problem? The only method I have found to remove the magenta is to shut down all the SDK 'windows' and reopen the project.

I have this morning performed some temporary modifications to my project and a BUILD ALL is not producing the error and so I wonder if I send the project to you that you will find nothing wrong?

PURPLE IN SDK.jpg

Last edited: