• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Assign an Runway to be used for landing only

Country
germany
Assign an Runway to be used for landing only?

Hi,
is it possible that the Ai would use a runway only for Landing?

At EDDL the AC use mainly the 23L/5R for starts and not the 23R/5L

Last edited:
Hi,
is it possible that the Ai would use a runway only for Landing?

At EDDL the AC use mainly the 23L/5R for starts and not the 23R/5L

Yes you can set a parallel runway for landing only.

The FS takeoff runway for EDDL is 5R/23L since it is the closest runway to all the parking spots.

Country
spain
In aiport properties, in primary and secondary runways patterns, coud be you can assign frome where the aircraft land or take off, I'm not sure, never have investigate this issue.:eek:

Country
germany
Yes you can set a parallel runway for landing only.

The FS takeoff runway for EDDL is 5R/23L since it is the closest runway to all the parking spots.

OK this happens mostly, but somehow it seems that maybe some users experienced takeoffs from 23R/05L, cause they asked me to look for this option.

@Bernardo
So you think it could be enough to set this options to... No? or False?

When I was doing research for my version of Kandahar AFB (OAKN), I came across the fact that taxiway G5, if necessary (and it could be necessary at this tremendously busy airfield), can be used for emergency landings. Now, from the above discussion, I am wondering if I could simulate such a feature? I realize, of course, there is no way to give an AI aircraft an emergency status, or to communicate that status to ATC, but it would be nice to occasionally see an AI aircraft having to land on G5 (in FSX, that is).

Could I add a narrow runway at the same location as taxiway G5? (Taxiway G5, incidentally, parallels the primary runway).

If the added runway were designated "secondary" and "landing" only, would AI land on it if the one and only primary runway were occupied with other aircraft? Is that the only circumstance under which AI aircraft would land on the secondary runway?

Would AI land on the added secondary runway/tawiway G5 even while other aircraft were taxiing on G5?

Since there are aircraft parked on both sides of the airfield, if a runway were added at the location of taxiway G5 would the fact that some aircraft are parked closer to the added runway than to the primary runway come into play?

What would ATC do?

These are just some quick questions off the top of my head.

What thoughts and answers do you have?

Dan

Taxiway G5.jpg

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

If you have a taxiway and runway at the same place (and both blue and black lines) then you will have aircraft using both at the same time. You could just make a small part of it black, and the rest blue?

ATC may use the new runway, and it would limit the type of aircraft that use it by the length of the runway (see previous reports of which aircraft use which runway lengths). But if it became an active runway and the traffic was coming from the north (assuming the top of your picture is pointed north) then ALL planes (that can use a runway of that length) would land on that runway in VFR weather, and not on the "normal" runway. I.e. it would become a normal parallel runway. If the "normal" runway has an ILS then it would become the only runway in use in IFR weather.

This assumes that adding this new runway doesn't mess up FS (as sometimes happens) and it does something completely different. :)

Hope this helps,

Thanks, Tom. I guess the only thing to do would be to create an overlay airport that put a landing-only runway at the location of G5 and that replicated the current airport's runway, but made it for takeoffs only. It might be okay for one weekly AI flight.

Dan