• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX ATC does not recognize ILS Approach

Country
spain
Hello all:

I have the following problem:

The ATC does not recognize anymore the ILS Approach for Runway 30 in LEVC. There's is no option for the ILS Approach in ATC dialog box to be choosen (IFR Plan). The ATC also directs the AI traffic to the Visual Approach to Runway 30.

Previously the ILS worked with ATC like a charm (he always gave me the ILS and same thing with AI Traffic). The ILS is in perfect condition as I can fly it without problems. The problem is in ATC not recognizing the ILS Approach (VOR-DME and visual work).

I don't what could have broken this. I have GEX and UTX. Do you have any ideas how to fix this? Do you know which are the files who might have been corrupted?

Thank you very much, Warfox.

Welcome warfox

Have you installed a new LEVC 3rd party airport

Last edited:
Country
spain
Welcome warfox

Have you installed a new LEVC 3rd party airport

Yes, Mytraffic 5.4b comes with lots of modified airport .bgl files, the main difference between these and the stock ones are the parking slots, which have been modified to be more accurate and have more room for AI Traffic.

However, I've noticed that the Mytraffic .bgl for LEVC has kinda messed up Approaches (I've check oder Mytraffic .bgl's and they seemed to be correct and in accordance with the stock ones). I have seen this using the ADE Approach Mode.

So, I tried to recompile the Mytraffic .bgl with the stock Approaches (using the Load Stock Data Tool of ADE). But I achieved no success.

Then I've tried to delete the .bgl of Mytraffic. Stock airport was in fact loaded, but the ILS Approach in ATC was still missing. (I checked the stock .bgl and he seemed to have all the approaches correct).

I don't know what to do, can you help me?

Thanks, Warfox.

P.D.: Although the Mytraffic .bgl has the VOR-DME approaches messed up too, the ATC gives me the option for them, but not for the ILS.

I don't use My Traffic. Not sure what program they used to make all the airports with.

Try and Import both Approaches and Navaids and Waypoints. When you compile check to be sure the ILS's list in the Approach Mode Editor.

If you now use that airport bgl it must be at a higher priority then the original My Traffic airport.

Country
spain
Hello:

I have discovered something really weird. When I re-compiled the Mytraffic .bgl (importing stock Approaches, Navaids and Waypoints) everything seems to be right, with the stock ILS loaded and displaying correctly in Approach Mode.

Surprisingly, when I open the recent compiled ne .bgl, the approaches are messed up AGAIN, as if they have not been modified, although I imported the stock ones.

This happens too when I save the Mytraffic .bgl (importing stock Approaches, Navaids and Waypoints) airport as an .a3d file. When loading the recent created .a3d file I can see the approaches are the correct stock ones (changes applied to .bgl).

BUT, when compiling this .a3d file (remember, he has stock Approaches) in a -bgl file, the approaches in the .bgl file are messed up AGAIN!

I don't know where's the problem. It seems the approaches are messed up when compiling to .bgl. Is this a know error of ADE? I'm a newbie in ADE and maybe I'm mission some important step. (I do as follow: Open Airport from BGL > Load Stock Data > Select Navaids and Waypoints and Approaches > Check the Approach List in Approach Mode > Check the Approaches display correctly > Compile Airport to BGL)

Can you help me?

Regards, Warfox.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
If you are starting with the 3rd party addon airport BGL file, you should do this only once:

Open Airport from BGL > Load Stock Data > Select Navaids and Waypoints and Approaches > Check the Approach List in Approach Mode > Check the Approaches display correctly

Then save it as an ad3 file and always open that one for editing. Compile your airport from the ad3 file and all should be OK. I have not heard of ADE messing up approaches if this process is followed carefully. However, there is always the possibility you have found a bug.

Country
spain
Hello:

This has also failed as I said before here:
This happens too when I save the Mytraffic .bgl (importing stock Approaches, Navaids and Waypoints) airport as an .a3d file. When loading the recent created .a3d file I can see the approaches are the correct stock ones (changes applied to .bgl).

BUT, when compiling this .a3d file (remember, he has stock Approaches) in a -bgl file, the approaches in the .bgl file are messed up AGAIN!

I'm completely lost in this topic, I don't know what to do about this.

Regards, Warfox.

Country
newzealand
Warfox,
how do you know the approaches are messed up in your new compiled bgl?
is this when you are in FSX? if it is then maybe FSX is reading another file,
where are you placing your compiled bgl file?
is your new bgl file in the Addon scenery/scenery folder at the top of the list in FSX, as Jim has pointed out?
or are you opening the bgl again?
can you post your ad3 file that has the approaches you have imported in it so we can take a look at it

Country
us-virginia
I can duplicate Warfox's issue. For the specific file in question, I performed the steps outlined in Tom's post above. The .ad3 includes the waypoints/navaids etc. The compiled bgl is missing the waypoints/navaids. The approaches were already included; however, as some of the waypoints are missing, the approaches appear broken when viewed in ADE.

I tested this with another bgl file I have for KIAD with the same result. I have not tested in sim to see if the approaches work.

Attachments

• BR2_LEVC.zip
    44.4 KB · Views: 312

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
ADE does not compile stock waypoints and navaids. There is no need and it just creates confusion. If the following is being done:

• Load a Bgl file
  • Import fixes and approaches
  • Compile the result
  • Reload the new bgl file

Then the new bgl file will contain no stock navaids or waypoints. This is correct behaviour.

Loading back the new Bgl file to correct it is wrong behavior

So for the avoidance of doubt.

ADE loads stock navaids and waypoints for information only to allow the design and display of approach code.

Compiling a Bgl file compiles the new approaches only if the user has changed them from stock - otherwise it uses stock approaches and no approaches will appear in the Bgl file.

If approaches are changed or added then ADE will compile approaches but never the stock navaids.

To be absolutely clear ADE will compile airport waypoints - that is those that are part of the airport record.

Finally please do not load the created Bgl file back and expect it to make sense in these cases

Only work from the ADE project file.

Country
spain
Hello:

First, thank you all for the quick replies.

When I tested the .bgl files I simply replace the original Mytraffic .bgl by my modified one in the Mytraffic Scenery Folder (this folder has the priority in FSX).

BR2_LEVC.bgl is the original Mytraffic .bgl File. This is a modification made by Mytraffic creator of the stock file, which changes the parking slots and has some minor changes. This file and all other of Mytraffic has an error in PAPI Lights, the runways have PAPI2 Lights instead of PAPI4 Lights. BUT, this is the ONLY Mytraffic file (I checked some others) where I have seen the approaches are messed up.

LEVC_ADEX_Warfox.a3d file is the original Mytraffic file with my custom changes. The runway now has PAPI4 Lights (I make this modification to almost every Mytraffic .bgl file with no problems) and I have added the center lights to all taxi links. This would be my normal procedure for every Mytraffic .bgl file. Now comes the "special" change for this file: I have imported the stock Navaids and Waypoints and Approaches and, as you can see, this file has everything correct. This is the file I want to put in my FSX. Now comes the problem when compiling.

LEVC_ADEX_Warfox.bgl is the result of compiling the above .a3d file. As you can see, all changes have been applied (PAPI4 Lights and Taxi center lights), BUT the approaches are not the stock ones anymore, they are all messed up AGAIN. I can know this because when displaying the ILS Approach most of the legs are in red and unconnected (in the stock approach are all white and connected). See it for yourself.

Can some one help me?

Thank you very much for your attention, Warfox.

Attachments

• BR2_LEVC.BGL
    15.8 KB · Views: 386
  • LEVC_ADEX_Warfox.ad3
    35 KB · Views: 281
  • LEVC_ADEX_Warfox.BGL
    17.5 KB · Views: 347
Country
spain
ADE does not compile stock waypoints and navaids. There is no need and it just creates confusion. If the following is being done:

• Load a Bgl file
  • Import fixes and approaches
  • Compile the result
  • Reload the new bgl file

Then the new bgl file will contain no stock navaids or waypoints. This is correct behaviour.

Loading back the new Bgl file to correct it is wrong behavior

So for the avoidance of doubt.

ADE loads stock navaids and waypoints for information only to allow the design and display of approach code.

Compiling a Bgl file compiles the new approaches only if the user has changed them from stock - otherwise it uses stock approaches and no approaches will appear in the Bgl file.

If approaches are changed or added then ADE will compile approaches but never the stock navaids.

To be absolutely clear ADE will compile airport waypoints - that is those that are part of the airport record.

Finally please do not load the created Bgl file back and expect it to make sense in these cases

Only work from the ADE project file.

Hello:

If I change a .bgl and save it in .ad3 file with the stock approaches, this approaches apply?

If I have a .ad3 file who has the stock approaches loaded and saved in it, will the compiled .bgl file has the stock approaches?

Regards, Warfox.

GHD

Country
england
BR2_LEVC.bgl has modified approaches.

Load BR2_LEVC.bgl, and in approach mode, delete Rwy 30 ILS then import the stock approaches.

Country
spain
BR2_LEVC.bgl has modified approaches.

Load BR2_LEVC.bgl, and in approach mode, delete Rwy 30 ILS then import the stock approaches.

Thank you for your reply, I have made as follow:

I have deleted all the Approaches, then I imported the original ones from the stock .bgl file. I saved in .ad3 file. Reopened it, everything fine. ThenI compiled the .ad3 in .bgl. Then I opened the .bgl and the approaches are messed up AGAIN.

What is wrong? I'm lost. :(:confused:

Regards, Warfox.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hello:

If I change a .bgl and save it in .ad3 file with the stock approaches, this approaches apply?

If I have a .ad3 file who has the stock approaches loaded and saved in it, will the compiled .bgl file has the stock approaches?

Regards, Warfox.

Again I refer to my post above. ADE will ONLY compile approaches if they are changed from the stock approaches - thus they do not appear in the Bgl file. The stock approaches are therefore used (coming from the stock file) in this case. If you change an approach or add one then ADE will compile them and FS uses these approaches and not the stock ones.

ADE NEVER compiles stock navaids and route waypoints so they will not appear in the Bgl file.

However the ADE project file .ad3 extension does contain this data.

The proper way to work is load the Bgl file, import the stock data, save the project using Save Airport and THEN only load the .ad3 project file using File > Open Airport. do not open the Bgl file you compiled back into ADE. As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with your Bgl files.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
George

ADE uses stock navaids and waypoints to draw approaches. It does not compile these into the Bgl file since they do not need to be compiled. So if the user loads back the Bgl file it contains the approach code but not the navaids and waypoints. Since the fixes are not in ADE then it cannot draw the approaches since it does not know where the leg points are. To get over this you would re-load stock fixes into ADE but it is all a waste of time since the project file contains all this information.

Or am I missing something here. The compiled Bgl file just does not contain enough information to draw approaches

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I think some of my posts on this thread may have been tetchy and short tempered. I have deleted one and I apologize if I did not treat anyone with due respect.