• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Attached Effect offset after export

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi , After dragging myself out off a self imposed scenery design retirement I have volunteered to takeover a project, this is my first in p3dv4. After a lot of trial an error and searching of the forums I have been able to apply Dynamic lighting to certain objects using the fabulous MCX. But when I export this particular object (a carpark light pole) Both effects are off set (obslight and spot light). I export the object as a mdl , I include it into a library (with library maker) and place the object with ade and I get this.
The light pole is the one on the right circled in red test1.jpg
test2.jpg This is what it looks like in MCX. It is probably something very simple that I have overlooked, any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Paul,

Is the light pole model placed at the origin or is located far from the origin? The last can give issues.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Each model is build in a certain "grid". Is the light pole at the center of that grid? Or is it build with an offset?

You can see this origin in MCX as well if you enable the display of the grid.

Country
us-illinois
Also, try compiling a MDL without using MCX' "Draw Call Batching", as this causes Effect (*.Fx) 'offset' from AttachPoints. :idea:

GaryGB

Country
unitedkingdom
Tried again tonight including compiling the MDL without Draw call Batching but still the same and as you can see the object is the center.
test3.jpg
Paul

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Are you sure the light we see in the screenshot is from the new light pole? It's very well aligned with the other pole I see.

Country
unitedstates
I have stumbled across a very similar problem. Running P3Dv5.1 with latest. Using the latest MCX I have tried to add an effect to a MDL, in this case the MDL is a taxiway edge light. I selected fx_navgre and just changed the color from green to blue. I centered the effect on the mdl object (taxiway edge light). However, I found that the effect is always offset. (see attached day and night screen shot)
In addition, depending on "where" on the selected airport I place this same MDL (using ADE), the effect is either centered on the object or is offset. See attached (Edgelight_night2_Capture) where the offset occurs on the same taxiway.
I have tried this and other effects, using MCX, on this MDL as well as others and the result is the same.
I am not saying it is MCX, but I am at a total loss as to why, across a given airport, an effect would become offset?
Any insight is greatly appreciated, I do not claim to be an expert.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Edgelight_night2_Capture.PNG
    Edgelight_night2_Capture.PNG
    326 KB · Views: 60
  • Edgelight_night_Capture.PNG
    Edgelight_night_Capture.PNG
    167.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Edgelight_day_Capture.PNG
    Edgelight_day_Capture.PNG
    178.4 KB · Views: 61

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Does your MDL file contain one single light that is centered around the orign?

Country
unitedstates
Hi Arno, I have attached a pic from MCX of the original MDL. There is no light in the original MDL.
I have also attached the new MDL with the effect attached. These 2 versions are NOT mixed in the same airport and have different GUIDs as well, if that has any implications.
All of the "illumination" in the original is accomplish by the the associated *.dds. As I wanted to increase the "brightness" to allow this edgelight to be more visible, I added the effect.
Hope this helps.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• TaxiwayMDL_Effect_attached_Capture.PNG
    TaxiwayMDL_Effect_attached_Capture.PNG
    414.2 KB · Views: 80
  • TaxiwayMDL_Capture.PNG
    TaxiwayMDL_Capture.PNG
    417.4 KB · Views: 76

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The effect is very near to the center, so that should not be the problem.

Maybe you can try to disable the drawcall batching for the object? I believe that could cause this as well.

Country
unitedstates
Oops,,hang on..that is an option in MCX...there are actually 2 drawcall options...

Country
unitedstates
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just compiled the MDL with DrawcallBatching = False and it WORKS!!! The lights that were wrong are now correct!! WOW...THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
I guess I should ask if you could explain what this option does...or is it ref'd in any documentation (in the P3D SDK??). How does it differ from DrawcallBatchingWorkingLOD...or maybe I dont need to go there. :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

The manual should explain those options nicely for you.

The difference in the MDL files is very small. When the drawcall batching is disabled dummy animation data is inserted so that the engine does batch the instances of this object in one drawcall. It seems there is a bug in that logic somewhere which affects objects with effects. And if I remember correctly it mainly happens at airport that are above sea level.