• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Attaching parts post mapping

Country
ca-ontario
Greetings all, I have a Gmax model nearing completion, using the ULE method. I finally got good models, but now I have to re-export them as I needed to add a part to the exterior model, two c_gear doors, which have animation. Now, I can't get a proper compile, as things are all over the place. I've been trying for days, pulling my hair out. So, my question. Actually an idea I have.

I have many small non-animated parts like bolt and screw heads, which I feel I should attach to their main part in order to cut down on the amount of parts going out. My old computer is "incapable of processing" all these parts I'm sure..I've tried all Bill's suggestions, nothing works. They use different texture bmps which now messes with the material library. The material editor moves things around and I then get an error now ( unused materials) when I try to export selected.

What is the best method of attaching parts mapped with different textures? Will this help the rendering process? Sorry still a newb sometimes.

DSmith

Country
us-arizona
Hey Doug,

You actually 'can' attach materials to each other with different materials, but you create a 'multi-material'. That is why they relocate to a newly created section in the material library as it auto-generates a new multi-material.

Also, have you tried moving things around in the Hierarchy? Can you move it from the main platform to say 300 or 400? Did you try adding a basic sphere in the model somewhere in that Hierarchy or the main Hierarcy that is hidden inside the model? That always works for me. But... If you get past a certain stage, you will have to stop exporting the parts with the Sphere(s) as it bounces back to no longer needing them. (Its as though you need the Spheres in 'certain number counts' and not others. Dont ask, I dont know why).

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
The most important "rule" for properly using the Material Library:

DO NOT DRAG-AND-DROP!

USE THE "APPLY" BUTTON!

Take control over your Material Library and Material Editor...

Country
ca-ontario
Hey Doug,

You actually 'can' attach materials to each other with different materials, but you create a 'multi-material'. That is why they relocate to a newly created section in the material library as it auto-generates a new multi-material.

Also, have you tried moving things around in the Hierarchy? Can you move it from the main platform to say 300 or 400? Did you try adding a basic sphere in the model somewhere in that Hierarchy or the main Hierarcy that is hidden inside the model? That always works for me. But... If you get past a certain stage, you will have to stop exporting the parts with the Sphere(s) as it bounces back to no longer needing them. (Its as though you need the Spheres in 'certain number counts' and not others. Don't ask, I don't know why).

Thanks Bill, what I found out after I posted here is that Gmax gives you the option to condense the materials and IDs. Previously I left that unchecked so I ended up with a thousand more entries in the material navigator window which bogged down the comp. Yikes. But all good now.

I just attempted a compile after attaching many un-animated parts. 1st time I got an error, so I went back in and split up the parts even more into separate hierarchies, then re-exported. I got things lined up now except for the prop spinner and the rudder which seems their axis is off 90 degrees. Now I'm not sure if this is still a compile issue, or if I really do have the pivot off. It's been perfect on all of my compiles before. (scratches head) For reference, what is the correct orientation of the pivots for those parts?

I tell you, this whole modeling with the ULE business, if it was a product that you purchased, I'd say it was too flawed and send it back for a refund. But it's pioneering which will mean more in the end once it's all figured out. Ok...back into Gmax...AGAIN...

Oh and thank you Manfred for the x file and asm batch files. I just started using them. Great work. However, I have v 1.9 Beta, is that the latest? This should be in the tools library here, I had to search the threads to find it.