• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Attachpoint light effects not visible in VC

Country
us-illinois
I found an unresolved thread from last year about this, and continue to struggle with getting a custom dome light to work in my VC. I would rather not use the standard aircraft.CFG [LIGHTS] method because of other complexities in the electrical system that require custom code. Using fx_vclightwhi.fx in the CFG produces a decent result, but the exact same effect when embedded as an Attachpoint fails to illuminate the cockpit. Position is correct, in fact it's exactly the same as the coordinates listed in the CFG. Is this a known issue with Attachpoints that hasn't been solved yet?

Also: This problem exists in both FSX and P3D, so it's not exclusive to either sim.

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
While I am absolutely a novice on the subject, I am considering using strictly code activated light maps on my current project. I have done this in the past for radium illuminated gauges. Working in Max I want to bake light maps depicting light beams projected on the panel which will be activated via code. Is this something you might consider? If so let's share our development testing.

Country
us-illinois
Hey Paul, I'm no expert either, but I've heard that this sort of effect requires a HUGE amount of knowledge about DirectX shaders in order to get it working. I've also heard of other ways involving mapping the entire area to a gauge texture and controlling it from there.

My goal is to take advantage of V4's new dynamic lighting engine, and also utilize its dimmable night maps when they get the scripts working. (I heard this from Mathijs Kok in the Aerosoft forums.) This should make things a great deal easier. I'm just hoping that they add the MASTER_BATTERY variable to their "User-controlled" emissive modes, because since FSX, we've been able to turn on panel lights with the battery off.

The ideal system, IMO, would be independently operated panel floods, integral lighting, and one or more dome lights. We've got the last two, but so much potential in the area of emissive maps is killed by the engine's built-in limitations.

Country
spain
Hi, guys. I have the same problem with attach points and interior lights. They simply don't work.

BUT, ozzman, regarding what you say about "complexities in the electrical system that require custom code" I would say that
you can do that with the standard method of including the lights in the aircraft.cfg... This is how I do it in my AW139:

* First, I add the light entry to the aircraft.cfg file. Something like this:

light.1= 7, 7.2, 0.0, 3.3, fx_vcaw139dome,

(note that I use recognition lights (7) as dome lights, so I can use cabin and cockpit lights separately).

* Second, I create a gauge with no bitmap and an update section. Inside this section I add the following code:

Code:
(L:main bus1,bool) (L:dome,bool) && if{ (A:LIGHT RECOGNITION,bool) ! if{ (>K:TOGGLE_RECOGNITION_LIGHTS) } } els{ (A:LIGHT RECOGNITION,bool) if{ (>K:TOGGLE_RECOGNITION_LIGHTS) } }

(if main bus1 is energized and dome switch is on, if recognition lights are not on, toggle them, but if main bus1 is not energized or dome switch is off and recognition lighst are on, toggle them).

* Third, include this gauge in the panel.cfg like this:

gauge01=AW139!systems, 1072,1522,1,1 //position is not relevant, it will not be visible.

In other words: you can introduce code in a gauge to model complex systems and to control things like the aircraft lights. No need attach points for that.

Country
unitedstates
I found an unresolved thread from last year about this, and continue to struggle with getting a custom dome light to work in my VC. I would rather not use the standard aircraft.CFG [LIGHTS] method because of other complexities in the electrical system that require custom code. Using fx_vclightwhi.fx in the CFG produces a decent result, but the exact same effect when embedded as an Attachpoint fails to illuminate the cockpit. Position is correct, in fact it's exactly the same as the coordinates listed in the CFG. Is this a known issue with Attachpoints that hasn't been solved yet?

Also: This problem exists in both FSX and P3D, so it's not exclusive to either sim.

Lighting effects that are hard coded from objects do not work in the interior models only using the panel.cfg will work. To get the light to fit the area in the VC or cabin you need to copy the effect with a new name and change the X and Y value. Basically customize the effect to fit you needs.

Last edited:
Country
australia
Hi all,

I know the origins of this discussion were back in June 2017, but delivery guy's response of August 2018 has me curious so I hope it isn't a problem continuing this discussion.

Lighting effects do not work in the interior models. To get the light to fit the area in the VC or cabin you need to copy the effect with a new name and change the X and Y value. Basically customize the effect to fit you needs.

Am I right in understanding that lighting effects won't work in a VC interior model because they're all too large? But it is possible to resize these effects textures to become workable within the VC interior model?

In the default 737 I'm working on, I note in the Lights section of the Aircraft.cfg that cabin lighting utilises the fx_vclighth file. This works fine in the sim when turned on.

I presume this effect can't be embedded inside the interior model using an attachpoint because the manner in which it is applied is different, and this is because the file is too large to be used in this different way.

Is that all about right?

I've done some testing below: I presume that even though I can see these effects within MCX, these effects files are still to large for FSX to deal with?

Does anyone know of a default light or other effect file that is small enough to work within the interior model for me to further some testing around this?

Lights2.png

Ta,

Trent

Country
unitedstates
Am I right in understanding that lighting effects won't work in a VC interior model because they're all too large?

I updated my post. i meant to say was that if you use a model object for vc light it will not work. Light effects using objects can only be used for the exterior model and VC lights will not work as well.
For interior where you want VC light you must use the panel.cfg to add these effects.

And for your needs you can make a copy and resize the effect so it does not bleed onto the exterior model like the wings.