• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Attempt to correct different ground altitudes

Country
australia
Currently there is a mismatch between water levels in one part of Green Lake, Whistler Canada (see image below) which I tried to correct with a polygon but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Is this because I need to do it with terraforming which currently is not handled by ADE?
I created a polygon to cover the area where the water levels/altitudes is and with the altitude set to 633 meters, flags "is water' set to false, 'exclude water' set to true, and water type set to lake (I had the first 2 flags reverse but the water 'texture' was wrong and only looked correct set to 'ocean'.
Any ideas?
water change_2_SIDES.jpg

Country
germany
Hi John, the only thing that always works fine is the "snap to ground" checkbox. All other values might cause one or the other effect like yours.

Country
australia
Hi Guido. Thanks for that info. I am assuming that the "snap to ground" checkbox is in SDK as I can't see it in Airport Design Editor which I am using with my water airport. Is "snap to ground" part of the polygon in SDK?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Snap to ground checkbox in what element?

Country
germany
Hi, sorry for the delay, I'm pretty busy these days...so the snap to ground is in almost all elements. In this case I assume it's the polygon, yes. I not working with ADE in this area as I use it for the orchestration of elemnts but the final setup is always done with the SDK in my workflow.
snapToGround="TRUE" or snapToGround="FALSE"
If there is a good position in the ADE workflow where this kind of xml code changes could be made, Sruffyduck is the write person to give an answer to this.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
If there is a snap to ground attribute for an element that ADE will expose that in the property grid editor. I am not sure what the default is as I am not in front of the code

Polygons are not well supported in ADE - it can create them but not read them back from Dev Mode yet so that it is best to work with them in Dev Mode. It's another job on the list to decompile the shape bgl to get back to the source in ADE