Autogen and GMAX Light

Need Help in the following

1.Can anyone recommend me a program that could change the autogen of the ICAO:WMKK surroundings? .. its not suppose to be having houses .. the airport is filled with rainforest and palm trees ..

2.How can I create a pole light with gmax? You know.. the airports pole lights lighting the ground and aircraft?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Jouvarn said:
1.Can anyone recommend me a program that could change the autogen of the ICAO:WMKK surroundings? .. its not suppose to be having houses .. the airport is filled with rainforest and palm trees ..
To change the autogen you can probably best change the landclass for that area. Or another option would be to place VTP polygons of the correct texture type. For both these things you can use Ground2k.

Jouvarn said:
2.How can I create a pole light with gmax? You know.. the airports pole lights lighting the ground and aircraft?
Light beams can only light the ground, never the aircraft itself. To make a beam that lights the ground you should use the LIGHT_LAND lighttype in GMax (Fs2002 gamepack that is, it doesn't seem to work properly in Fs2004 gamepack).

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
However, I am told that with the new effects, you can light the ground with an effect on the lamp and one on the ground.

Light beams can only light the ground, never the aircraft itself. To make a beam that lights the ground you should use the LIGHT_LAND lighttype in GMax (Fs2002 gamepack that is, it doesn't seem to work properly in Fs2004 gamepack).
errr.. okiee.. ill use the fs2002 gamepack .. but does it work on fs9?
and another question is .. how do i create a LIGHT_LAND lighttype ?

However, I am told that with the new effects, you can light the ground with an effect on the lamp and one on the ground.
effect? is it an effect file?

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Jouvarn said:
errr.. okiee.. ill use the fs2002 gamepack .. but does it work on fs9?
Yes, they still work in Fs2004. Of course you need to place the object in the old way as well then (so no XML etc). But it still works.

Jouvarn said:
effect? is it an effect file?
Yes, it is an effect file then. But can't tell you much more about it. Never got a good light effect to work, so maybe Nick knows more about this :D.

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the effects files can be attached as part of the new FS2004 Gamepack for GMAX.

There are two effects you need to place. The first is the "glow" around the lamp, the other is the "circle" on the ground.

Both are default FS2004 effects files.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
But are it the default effect files that give this result or do you need a custom one to get nice lighting?

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
The default ones give ok results, but you may want to change the colours.

In the defunked forum, there was a post about this that someone helped me change the colour of a beacon light... so it is also possible with other effects.

I am going to be working on the lights for our scenery shortly, so I will report back, or maybe create another video tutorial on this subject.

arrr..
can ya guys add me in icq or msn?
because i really need support here , to complete my KL international airport scenery , which is suppose to be released soon ^_^ ..
TQQ

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
There is a OrangeDot effect.... however looking at it it is not impressive.

So... I suggest that you go with the ground textures for the light effect and use an effect for the "glow" of the light.

Either that, or you can use the old FS2002 gamepack and use the LIGHT_LAND object.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
The ground polygon approach is not really perfect either. If you use a transparant texture for the light effect other scenery elements (like taxilines, aprons, etc) below it will get some sort of haze over them (due to the transparant texture for the light effect). This can make it hard to see where for example the taxiline is running.