FSXA Autogen annotation on a 3rd party photoreal BGL?

The following image is taken from AGN Annotator using one of the photoreal BGLs made by a 3rd party developer. I removed all annotations (.agn) from corresponding Texture folder but when I open the bgl in Annotator, I still can see the highlighted (autogen?) artifacts on it. I can also see some autogen trees in FSX (not sure if I position my aircraft exactly on top of one of the highlighted areas) although the texture folder is empty.

I'd like to add my own autogen to the same PR layer but now I wonder if need to make my own texture sheet instead of using this one? I've read both Autogen and Terrain SDKs but couldn't find an answer to my question. Maybe I've missed something?!...

I know that an underlying texture sheet IS required if one wishes to make the autogen visible in FS. But I didn't know that annotations are "hard-coded" in BGL - e.g. I can use scenProc for autogen generation using no texture sheet at all... IOW, I assume the autogen shouldn't be linked to a particular texture sheet but location. If so, what are these greenish areas below?

Thank you!

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

If you removed all AGN files in the texture folder that belongs to the scenery folder where the photo BGL is, I have no idea where these remaining trees come from. They should be gone as well. Are you sure there are no AGN files left?

Hello:

That sure looks like Autogen Annotations displayed in the SDK Autogen Annotator. :scratchch

FYI: These can be loaded from either a *.XML (non-compiled Autogen-type source code) and/or *an.AGN (compiled Autogen) annotation file format, and are matched by specific filenames to particular Geographic LOD-13 sized quad tile areas in MSFS.

AFAIK, Autogen Annotations are not coded into BGLs in any version MSFS. ;)

BTW
: Such Autogen Annotations can 'bleed through' and still be rendered in MSFS at run time from 1 or more local paired \Texture sub-folder(s) within other active scenery layers that contain default land class or custom photoreal land class that has also used "Blend Masks" with greater than 50% transparency (aka RGB value of more than 128 of 256 possible grayscale values in the 8-Bit Blend Mask file or assigned 'Blend' Alpha Channel).

However, I am not personally familiar with how such Autogen Annotations would be detected and displayed as actual annotations from within the SDK Autogen Annotator unless you had manually chosen to open a default land class or custom photoreal land class *.XML (non-compiled Autogen source code-type) and/or *an.AGN (compiled Autogen) file format located inside a ex: local paired \Texture sub-folder nested under a top folder along with a \Scenery sub-folder containing the land class / imagery type BGL you manually opened in SDK Autogen Annotator.

I would be inclined to put the BGL you are trying to annotate (that is manually opened in SDK Autogen Annotator) inside a non-active scenery sub-folder somewhere outside of an 'active' sub-folder chain. :pushpin:

You may wish to explore use of Arno's AGN Tools to extract and /or merge the Autogen Annotations as decompiled XML and//or Text from the 3rd party scenery Autogen source, then load a COPY of that data that from the Autogen XML file format as a background while creating for your own personal intended replacement Autogen Annotations. :idea:

https://www.scenerydesign.org/development-releases/

Alternatively, Arno's ScenProc has a number of features which may assist with Autogen creation. :wizard:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/scenproc.131/

GaryGB

Last edited:
Thank you, guys!!! After reading your comments, I checked all related folders and found the culprit - it was indeed the autogen annotations once wrongly created by me using scenProc and put inside a new texture folder. As soon as I deleted them, the problem was solved. :)