• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Autogen Annotator

GHD

Country
england
Gary,

The FS9 and FSX custom autogen filenames are exaclty the same referring to ~1 Km squares.

However, FSX format agn files are different from FS9 format files.

FSX can interpret FS9 format files but not vice versa.

Country
us-illinois
Hi George:

Many thanks for the reply ! ;)

I have edited my post in an attempt at greater clarity to reflect this information:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20381

Also, could we ask the additional favor of a reply to a question here: :banghead:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=142263&postcount=7

I was wondering since you stated at: http://www.visualflight.co.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8827

"IDTileX has been updated to identify the new filenames for the Western Isles"

...did the newer GenX files for the Western Isles provide you with any clues as to how one might decipher the current GenX numeric BGL volume labeling system to the extent that one could correlate it in a cross-reference table for the previous series of (non-FS9) GenX photoreal imagery file names (which IIUC, used the default "custom photoreal land class" file names) ? :confused:

And, as your post there also states:

"the new photographic tiles cover 64 of the old tiles"

...would I infer then that the (GenX ?) photoreal imagery BGLs cover 64 of what I assume to be the FS9 format photoreal imagery BGLs.

...Or did you instead mean that the GenX photoreal imagery BGLs cover 64 of the FS9 format LOD13 imagery tiles (BMPs) ?

I'm hoping to achieve a better understanding of how the file naming structure of FSX imagery BGLs correlates with the FS9 imagery tile file naming system, and then how that relates to the FSX format *.agn files; in doing so, I'd hope such information posted here may help others with questions as well, while pursuing my own interests in FS. :teacher:

Thanks again for any further clarification or pointers you might offer as to online references or documentation that may be available on this topic. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
...did the newer GenX files for the Western Isles provide you with any clues as to how one might decipher the current GenX numeric BGL volume labeling system to the extent that one could correlate it in a cross-reference table for the previous series of (non-FS9) GenX photoreal imagery file names (which IIUC, used the default "custom photoreal land class" file names) ?

No :rolleyes:

Country
us-illinois
Thanks for the succinct, 2-character reply, George ! :p

At the risk of beating a subject to death in an attempt to help Richard64 here: :rolleyes:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21505

Assuming you have not already helped Richard64 via "Private Message" with info on how to identify what GenX imagery BGL his 'project du jour' is associated with so he can open up the appropriate BGL in Annotator (without undue "trial and error" causing wasted time and increasing frustration as there are reportedly MANY BGL files he has to pick from in each GenX volume group), may I please ask again:

I was wondering since you stated at: http://www.visualflight.co.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8827

...would I infer then that the (GenX ?) photoreal imagery BGLs cover 64 of what I assume to be the FS9 format photoreal imagery BGLs.

...Or did you instead mean that the GenX photoreal imagery BGLs cover 64 of the FS9 format LOD13 imagery tiles (BMPs) ?

Many thanks again for the favor of a reply. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
wales
Hi all and my thanks to you all for your help.

However this is all beginning to fry my brain, so I think I will stick with Instant Scenery for now.

Besides I also need to get back to Sketchup, there will be some questions regarding this coming up shortly.

Regards

Richard

GHD

Country
england
I was wondering since you stated at: http://www.visualflight.co.uk/forums...?TOPIC_ID=8827

There is no such thing as FS9 format photoreal imagery BGLs, they are simple BMPs.

Country
us-illinois
Hi George:

Thanks again for your reply... I guess I should have been more precise in wording that, since I meant the "placement BGL" for the BMPs.

So, in that context, I was trying to ask if what you meant by:"

...was whether that area of 64 tiles referred to tile placement info or actual imagery itself (OK, in FSX both are in the same BGL, right ?)

I am unaware of whether there is a hard (or 'practical' task-related) limit in making a FS9 "placement BGL" as to how many BMPs can be "placed".

Since Richard64 said he encountered "hundreds" of BGLs per region of interest that he had to decide between to find the matching imagery BGL for a given "project du jour", I wondered if there might have been some reason I am also unaware of in working via the FSX SDK resample or FSX rendering engine that may have compelled making GenX BGLs deal with "64 of the old tiles" rather than 'another number' of tiles.

The goal here, of course, is to try and find a way to help end users to quickly "identify the tile" for a autogen annotation project and the GenX BGL that it is located in, so it can then be opened in Annotator. :idea:

Thus, I suppose I should ask the question this way then (...so only a 2 or 3 character answer is needed :ziplip:):

By "cover", did you mean GenX FSX format photoreal imagery BGLs contain the imagery tiles AND placement info for what would otherwise be 64 of the FS9 format LOD13 imagery tiles (BMPs) ? :confused:

Thanks yet again for your time in clarifying this. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
By "cover", did you mean GenX FSX format photoreal imagery BGLs contain the imagery tiles AND placement info for what would otherwise be 64 of the FS9 format LOD13 imagery tiles (BMPs) ? :confused:

...... yes :)

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Would this be V1-12-11743226.bgl?

743226.png

If so, then it's likely these are QMID11-sized images.

Dick

Country
us-illinois
Hi Dick:

I'm curious what utility is shown above with a "LEC Google" title bar name, and a "Stop AutoGather" button at the dialog bottom. :scratchch

Is that utility presently available for others to "test drive" from your online downloads somewhere ? :confused:

Thanks,

GaryGB

Last edited: