• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Autogen Buildings & Trees on my custom-created airport EGGV adfter ORBX TE GB Central Installed

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi there. Can you help please. I have P3D 4.5 Hotfix2 installed with ORBX EU England, Scotland & Wales. I have also created a fictional airport (EGGV) near where I live in
the Borders about 16 miles west of Berwick Upon Tweed. The flight sim is working perfectly and I have also successfully installed my own military AI aircraft flying schedules
bertween EGGV, EGQL, EGQS and EGQK.
Last week I also installed ORBX True Earth Great Britain South, Central and North and this is also successfully installed WITH ONE MAJOR EXCEPTION - I cannot suppress the
True Earth autogen of buildings and trees (only) on my custom EGGV airport.
I am using ADE : Application 01.76.6715.14291, Engine 04.75.6712.18978

My custom airport EGGV actually straggles over the two ORBX TE GB Central Lod15 files Central_4712_2262_LOD15.bgl and Central_4712_2263_LOD15.bgl. With these two files active there is autogen over my airport. If I block these two files (ie. ORBX EU ENG or SCOT, located below in the scenery config file, now coming into effect for only these two LOD areas), there is no autogen over the airport.

Is there any other exclusion poly I need to use with ORBX True Earth? Attached are three files showing the ADE airport, the ORBX TE autogen on EGGV (third file) and second file showing no autogen (with the two LOD15 files blocked).

Attachments

• EGGV1.jpg
    EGGV1.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 142
  • EGGV2.jpg
    EGGV2.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 138
  • EGGV3.jpg
    EGGV3.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
You possibly could add some objects underground with autogen suppression set to true.

GHD

Country
england
Position on one of the buildings. In ADE, add a scenery object (the larger the better) and set its altitude say -50m AGL and set autogen suppression to true

Repeat for the other buildings and treees..

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi and thanks for the reply. If you look at the difference between EGGV2 (what I wish to achieve) and EGGV3, it is not just buildings and trees. NONE of the ORBX TE scenery (other than over runways, taxis aprons etc) are suppressed. The whole airport background exclusion seems to have been ignored. If I configure the scenery.cfg file for ORBX EU ENG and SCO, the exclusion IS activated.

GHD

Country
england
I am soory I cannot be of help. I refuse o have any Orbx sceenery on my systems (FSX or P3D).

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Unfortunately, ORBX uses their own scenery layering system and it is often very difficult to remove their objects.

Country
unitedkingdom
I've found that the Orbx True Earth series of products uses a photoreal layer that will sit on top of airfields created in ADE. It's particularly a problem for airfields which aren't in the original sim, or have been misplaced either by P3D or by Orbx. However, some third-party products seem to be able to overlay the Orbx layer, but how they do it I'm not sure. It's prompted me to remove True Earth GB (South) and make do with the older Orbx regional products instead.

Country
unitedkingdom
I've found that the Orbx True Earth series of products uses a photoreal layer that will sit on top of airfields created in ADE. It's particularly a problem for airfields which aren't in the original sim, or have been misplaced either by P3D or by Orbx. However, some third-party products seem to be able to overlay the Orbx layer, but how they do it I'm not sure. It's prompted me to remove True Earth GB (South) and make do with the older Orbx regional products instead.
Thanks for your update Tim - we are in the same boat exactly, and a layering issue is what I also am thinking. My custom airport is in the Scottish Borders but in ORBX world it is part of TE Great Britain Cenrtral. The problem is exacerbated by the fact one cannot decompile the CSX files for any airport. I have tried BGLVIEWER but the contents of the ORBX CSX files for airports look pretty standard.
From several hours experimenting with ADE, it looks like ADE can FLATTEN the TE Scenery but no EXCLUDES seem to have effect on excluding the TE Scenery, or Buildings and Trees. I know I can make GRASS aprons to cover the TE Scenery (albeit the color of the apron grass is awful!) but not much point in doing if my taxiways, aprons etc are dotted with buildings and trees.
I am wondering if ORBX are using a modified version of ADE????? where they change (ie lower) the Layer ID???
Maybe if ARNO sees this, he may wish to comment?

Country
unitedkingdom
Yes, as yet this is a bit advanced for me - but I know it can be done! Even the old UK2000 VFR series of airfields will sit on top of the Orbx TE scenery (though you often have to turn off Orbx's attempts at the same airfields). But often I'm trying to recreate airfields that are no longer in service. TE is great in that it'll have some sort of representation of the disused airfield I'm trying to resurrect, but it shows over my version, which is NOT helpful!!

Country
unitedkingdom
Tim - I have managed to fix this problem! First of, you need to download the FREE FSEarth Tiles program. See
on how to download and use.
Essentially, FSEarth Tiles can down load free True Earth photoreal scenery. So ...
1) Download the True Earth scenery around your airport. If you simply compile as per FSEarth Tiles the result is in Fig1. All we have done is replace the ORBX TE GB photoreal with True Earth photoreal. The difference, however, is you can edit the bmps with Photoshop. Firstly, I uses Image, Adjust Brightness to get Virtual Earth to blend with TEGB.
2)Take a screen copy of just TEGB with your airfield on top. (Fig 0.) Copy this into a new layer in Photoshop and scale, move, transparent to see thru this layer onto say the Spring bmp. Make the new layer opaque and use polygonal lasso tool to make a selection round the perimeter of your airfield. Hide this layer to reveal the Spring layer and with the selection still active, use the Clone Stamp tool to define an (green) area and begin to clone within all the airfield perimeter (ie inside the selection). You are making grass like texture so use opacity 90% to get variation effect than just uniform green. If you recompile you will get the result in Fig2.
3) Now bring i the Mask bmp (Fig3) and make another Mask bmp (Fig4) with feathering on the selection. Feathering will male the airfield perimeter blend in with TEGB. Recompile this will give result in Fig5. THE DESIRED RESULT!
4) FSEarth Tiles also creates seasons bmps. So, bring in the Summer, Autumn and winter bmps. Copy the Spring airfield mask for each. Use Image, Hue to make the grass slightly less green for Summer and brownish for Autumn. Winter,simply cover the airfield with snow effect - see web for examples.

TEGB has only one season, so winter airfield looks odd with TEGB - you could just use a copy of the Autumn bmp. However, if not using TEGB, your airfield will fully support the 4 seasons.
Let me know if you need any clarification.
John

Attachments

• 0. TrueEarthGB.jpg
    0. TrueEarthGB.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 1. Virtual Earth.jpg
    1. Virtual Earth.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 3. FSEarthTiles Mask.jpg
    3. FSEarthTiles Mask.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 2. Virtual Earth Airfield Mask.jpg
    2. Virtual Earth Airfield Mask.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 4. FSEarthTiles Amended Mask.jpg
    4. FSEarthTiles Amended Mask.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 5. Spring.jpg
    5. Spring.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Autumn.jpg
    Autumn.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Summer.jpg
    Summer.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 106
  • Winter.jpg
    Winter.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 104
Country
unitedkingdom
John, that’s great! I do have a copy of FSET somewhere on my system. I don’t have Photoshop, but I’m pretty sure Affinity Photo will be able to match those various techniques. Looks like I have a project for this week....!