• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Autogen Configuration Editor will not load .xml files

Country
us-utah
Hello everybody! I'm new to development with FSX. I wanted to try out creating photo-real scenery of the areas around me in Utah and then add the autogen to make it that much better! Well everything was going well until I tried to use the Autogen Configuration Editor. Of course I installed all the SDK tools and updates wrong the first time around. So...after following the instruction for SDK instillation on this forum this tool still will not work. It will try to open the .xml files (from the Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Autogen SDK\Autogen source xml) but will just sit there and do nothing for about 10-20 minutes and then it gives an error saying:
"Failed to open ...\AutogenDescriptions.xml:
Property accessor 'RegionName' on object 'Microsoft.Aces.AutogenConfigEditor.Model.RegionDescription' threw the following exception:'the type initializer for 'Microsoft.Aces.AutogenConfigEditor.Model.PropertyEditor.RegionldConverter' threw an exception"

When I load FSX I do get the tools menu and it appears to work. I have installed FSX Deluxe and the SDK tools with administrator privileges. The 'default.xml' file is in the autogen SDK directory. I have followed all the steps in both the instillation guide and the troubleshooting guide, but the fsx.config file modification steps as the tools menu works in fsx.

Here are the results from ADE9X tools:
*************************************************************************************************
Date of Report: 9/23/2015 11:10:54 AM
Operating System: Microsoft Windows
OS Service Pack: n/a
OS Version: 6.2.9200 (64 Bit)
OS Language: English (United States) => separator: '.'
Nodename: PABST
ADE installed: no
ADE Path: N:\MSFS\FS Design Tools\Ai (manually set)
ADE Install Version: n/a
ADE File Version: 1.66.5555.24351
ADE Info: n/a
FXS installed: yes
FSX Path: N:\FSX\
FSX Version: 10.0.61472.0 (fsx-sp2.20071210-2023)
FSX Trailing '\' Error: False
FX9 installed: no
FS9 Path: n/a
FS9 Version: n/a
FS9 Trailing '\' Error: False
RTM Simconnect: yes
SP1 Simconnect: yes
SP2 Simconnect: yes
FSX SDK installed: yes
FSX SDK Path: N:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\
FSX SDK Trailing '\' Error: False
BGLComp Version: 10.0.61472.0 (fsx-sp2.20071210-2023)
BGLComp >= SP1: yes
Shp2Vec found: yes
.NET 1.1 installed: no
.NET 2.0 installed: yes
.NET 3.0 installed: yes
.NET 3.5 installed: yes
XML3 installed: yes
XML4 installed: yes
XML5 installed: no
XML6 installed: yes
FSUIPC/FS9 installed: n/a
FSUIPC/FSX installed: not installed
Connected to FS9 ok: no
Connected to FSX ok: no

Here is the contents of my dll.xml file:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
  <Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
  <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
  <Path>N:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
  <Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
  <Path>N:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
  <Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
  <Path>N:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

I have surfed many forums and no-one has posted this issue? I hope someone can help me resolve this. If you do I will post detailed photo-real scenery for hanksville utah! I know exciting :D

Cheers

Country
unitedstates
What happens if you navigate to the FSX/Autogen folder and try to open AutogenDescriptions.spb or RoofDescriptions.spb instead?

Country
unitedstates
snoripper? ...as in snowmobiles? :)

I'm at a loss, it really should have been able to open the XML files anyway. In the N:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\ folder you should have a "ConfigSDK.exe", have you run that?

Country
us-utah
snoripper? ...as in snowmobiles? :)

I'm at a loss, it really should have been able to open the XML files anyway. In the N:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\ folder you should have a "ConfigSDK.exe", have you run that?
...as in snowboards!! ;)

But yes I have run that.

Country
scotland
Hi Folks

snoripper -
Your ADE9X tools' report indicates that
you've correctly installed the appropriate SDK for your FSX version.

Autogen toolset's component tools may fail to load -
if their .config file points at wrong locations.
e.g.
If FSX, or the SDK, had been moved from it's original install location,
without first correcting their registry entries,
before running configsdk.exe,
(ADE9X tools' report indicates that these supposedly are correct).

Similarly, component tools may fail
if default.xml is - missing, or inappropriate version, or corrupted.

Please check & report back
your default.xml version's date/time for -
N:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Autogen SDK\default.xml
and whether it matches that of -
N:\FSX\Autogen\default.xml

Could you please clarify -
Which of the following are you attempting to achieve ? -
  1. Apply existing autogen models to your scenery ?
  2. Make the autogen toolset aware of additional/new autogen models ?
If 1. You should be launching Annotator.
If 2. Autogen Configuration Editor is appropriate.

Annotator -
The tool for selecting & positioning autogen models
on photoscenery, or newly created additional landclass tiles.

Launching Annotator will open various child windows,
including the Autogen Configuration Editor.

Autogen Configuration Editor -
Normally launched automatically by Annotator.
Displays the listing of existing available autogen models, (read from default.xml).

When launched as a standalone,
has limited capabilities,
e.g. Provides a GUI for -

Editing the default.xml
to add extra selectable autogen models
to the selection listing available to the Annotator tool.
i.e. New models which you've created.

Compiling/decompiling .SPB files.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Last edited:
Country
us-utah
Thanks for the response BASys,
I will check the default.xlm file when I get back to my home comp. But it should be the exact same file as I copied/pasted from fsx to sdk/autogen after all of the instillation steps were done. Basically the last thing I did before I started up Annotator.exe

Could you please clarify -
Which of the following are you attempting to achieve ? -
  1. Apply existing autogen models to your scenery ?
  2. Make the autogen toolset aware of additional/new autogen models ?
If 1. You should be launching Annotator.
If 2. Autogen Configuration Editor is appropriate.

I m trying to achieve both of those things. I want to place existing FSX autogen on the land (not just the default.xlm stuff) and I also want to add new autogen to the existing object libraries.
I start 'Annotator.exe' first and then I try and open the .xlm libraries with the Autogen configuration editor so that I can then place them on the land. Annotator works fine, it reads the objects from the 'default.xlm' file. (A very limited set of autogen) I can load a scenery file (.blg) into annotator as well. Its just when I try to open any of the .xlm libraries with autogen configuration editor so that I can place them on the scenery the tool hangs and eventually (20 minutes later) errors with the error code I mentioned in my original post.

Help!! I want to make cool scenery like everyone else is doing!! :(

EDIT
Please check & report back
your default.xml version's date/time for -
N:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Autogen SDK\default.xml
and whether it matches that of -
N:\FSX\Autogen\default.xml
As far as I can tell they are the same file.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?> is the header for both files. Both files have the same 'modified' date and time, July, 26 2006 at 9:41:20 pm. The file in fsx/autogen has created date the same as modified date. The file in the autogen sdk folder has a created date of September 22, 2015 at 6:51:06 pm (the date and time I made a copy of the original file (FSX/autogen folder) and pasted it into the autogen SDK folder).

hope this helps

Last edited:
Country
us-utah
Sooo.....no one has a solution? Has anyone seen this issue before?????? I can't be the only one that has seen this issue.

Country
unitedstates
There are a bunch of .config files in the Autogen SDK folder that are written when you run ConfigSDK.exe, you can open these in Notepad or whatever, they have some region info and a path to the \propdefs folder is defined. Grasping at straws again but maybe check those out and see if everything looks correct for your installation. Like Paul said:

Autogen toolset's component tools may fail to load -
if their .config file points at wrong locations.
e.g.
If FSX, or the SDK, had been moved from it's original install location,
without first correcting their registry entries,
before running configsdk.exe

...so as you mentioned in the first post you'd had a problem with the SDK installation the first time around I wonder if the propdefs path is messed up in the .config files because of an incorrect reg entry? You might also check "SetupPath" at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\Flight Simulator X SDK in the registry to make sure it points to your current SDK location.

My AutogenConfigEditor.exe.config looks like this for example, do yours look similar?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<configSections>
<sectionGroup name="applicationSettings" type="System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsGroup, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" >
<section name="Microsoft.Aces.AutogenConfigEditor.Model.Properties.Settings" type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" requirePermission="false" />
</sectionGroup>
</configSections>
<applicationSettings>
<Microsoft.Aces.AutogenConfigEditor.Model.Properties.Settings>
<setting name="RegionMappings" serializeAs="Xml">
<value>
<ArrayOfString xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<string>-1=Default</string>
<string>0=Europe NorthCentral (A)</string>
<string>1=North America North (B)</string>
<string>2=North America Southwest (C)</string>
<string>3=South America East (D)</string>
<string>4=Africa Central (E)</string>
<string>5=Asia Central (F)</string>
<string>6=Australia (G)</string>
<string>7=Tropical Pacific (H)</string>
<string>8=Arctic (I)</string>
<string>9=Middle East (J)</string>
<string>10=Europe West (K)</string>
<string>11=Europe Central (L)</string>
<string>12=Eurasia (M)</string>
<string>13=Europe Mediterranean West (N)</string>
<string>14=Europe Mediterranean East (O)</string>
<string>15=North America South (P)</string>
<string>16=South America West (Q)</string>
<string>17=Tropics American (R)</string>
<string>18=Tropics Asian (S)</string>
<string>19=Africa South (T)</string>
<string>20=Asia Cold-Dry (U)</string>
<string>21=Asia Industrial (V)</string>
<string>22=Asia Indian (W)</string>
<string>23=Australia Red (X)</string>
<string>24=Australia North (Y)</string>
<string>25=Oceania South (Z)</string>
</ArrayOfString>
</value>
</setting>
<setting name="SimPropSymbolDirectory" serializeAs="String">
<value>C:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\propdefs</value>
</setting>
</Microsoft.Aces.AutogenConfigEditor.Model.Properties.Settings>
</applicationSettings>
<system.web>
<trust level="Full" />
<webControls clientScriptsLocation="/aspnet_client/{0}/{1}/" />
</system.web>
</configuration>

Country
us-utah
JRobinson I checked my registry and it is pointing to the correct folder for both FSX and SDK. So there is no issue there.
My AutogenConfigEditor.exe.config looks like this for example, do yours look similar?
My config file is identical to yours except that it points to where I have FSX installed. That is the only difference.

The last thing I'm going to try is to uninstall everything and reinstall in the default location. It just suck because I have a lot of room for scenery files on my N: drive. The C: drive is a little full and it takes a lot longer to transfer files between drives then just between folders on the same drive.....oh well, if I can get it to work that way then so be it. :/

And JRobinson and Paul, thanks you both for your efforts in trying to help me resolve this problem.

Country
us-utah
The last thing I'm going to try is to uninstall everything and reinstall in the default location.
No luck. It just will not work :( This is so @#$&#@#$ lame!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully someone will read this and know what is going on.

Still getting the following error when I try and open any of the .xml files in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Autogen SDK\Autogen source xml folder:
"Failed to open C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Autogen SDK\Autogen source xml\AutogenDescriptions.xml:
Property accessor 'RegionName' on object 'Microsoft.Aces.AutogenConfigEditor.Model.RegionDescription' threw the following exception:'the type initializer for 'Microsoft.Aces.AutogenConfigEditor.Model.PropertyEditor.RegionldConverter' threw an exception"