• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v3 Autogen not showing up in some areas

Country
germany
Hello together,

in my UGMS Mestia scenery I finally got the Annotator to work and the buildings and trees show up nicely on the photoscenery. There are some areas though, that show no autogen at all and I don't know why. Maybe you can help me.

This is what it looks like in the Annotator:

Autogen1_ANNOTATOR_zps3l01jdr7.png

And this is what it looks like in P3D. You can see where is just photo scenery and where are actual trees.

Autogen5_P3D_zpsxyyxk5ql.png

My first suspicion was the flatten around the runway. But this did't hold up. The right upper side is also flattened and there are some trees in that area. Also the trees at the end of the runway are visible although they are within the flatten area. This is the flatten area in SBUILDERX:

Autogen2_SBUILDERX_zpsxg8vuesl.png

Since I've had a few versions of the scenery before (mainly a basic AFCAD from ADE) I thought I have some old file activated which contains some exclusion area. But I could rule this out also by a very good search and with the help of the SimpleAirportScanner:

Autogen3_SCANNER_zpsyiul5rts.png

Both files are the newly compiled by ADE where the airport looks like this:

Autogen4_ADE_zpsxyemfvc9.png

Also nothing strange going on there...

What I can rule out also is anything related to the default scenery. There is actually none for UGMS. Without my scenery activated there are just mountains and trees.

Anyone of you has an idea?

EDIT: Sliders of autogen vegatation are fully right (extremely dense)

Last edited:
Country
germany
Nobody has an idea?

I deactivated now file after file and still can't find it. If I deactivate the complete scenery, the area is full of autogen, so it must be one of the files in the scenery, no hidden file somewhere else...

The following files I deactivated:

• The photoscenery itself. Still no autogen in that area:
  • The airport itself (ADE file). Still no autogen.
  • The groundpolys. Still no autogen.
  • The SBUILDERX-Terrain files (flattening). Still no autogen.
All the other files are just objects. Can they cause something like this also?

Country
germany
Ok, I checked again all files and the groundpoly.bgl is the culprit here. I guess the smallest rectangle around all the groundpolys suppresses the autogen? How can I fix this? How do I get trees in that area? Place them as objects?

Is there a way to place standard trees which got replaced if someone has the ORBX HD trees?

Country
spain
Any object that come from a .mdl file will suppres autogen. be ground polygon and buildings, if it is placed as a single object the situation get worst. I think there is an option before to export "no autogen suppresion" in MCX. (I think, no sure) anyway this is a common problem, I have seen thie problem many times posted here, so it must have a solution anywhere here in Fsdeveloper threads. look for this matter in the search tool. and once you have identified the guilty object should be easy to fix. check also the object with modelconvertex and check his boundingbox.

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

Although in some cases Ground Polygons (aka "G-Polys") can be compiled and placed so that they do not suppress Autogen, in some cases this option does not work.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/autogen-supression.433757/

In such cases, one may need to place 3D scenery library objects (ex: trees) at desired locations within the scenery areas within- / adjacent to- G-Poly extents ...not via the Autogen Annotator, but rather via BGLComp-type XML code using the "NoAutogenSuppression" parameter:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526978.aspx#SceneryObject.

This process can be made easier by use of FS utilities such as Instant Scenery or ADE that allow copying initially placed existing smaller groups of trees that can then be placed at various headings as a group, or by means of the "Forest" tree placement tool:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/forest-fsx-p3d-tree-placement-tool.148/

In the case of P3D G-Polys that are MDL-format, I have not personally tested to see if one merely needs to place such 3D MDLs via BGLComp-type XML code using the "NoAutogenSuppression" parameter in order to eliminate the Autogen suppression.

FYI: Some additional topically-related links:

https://www.google.com/#q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+ground+polygon+autogen

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
germany
Thank you very much guys, I fully understand the problem now. I could make the ground polys work with the ground polygon wizard and the option to prevent autogen supression.

But now I found out, that the fence around the airport also is a problem, because it has a huge bounding box. Is there something I can do about normal objects? I was looking for such an option in MCX but couldn't find one. Would this MDL-Tweaker help?

EDIT:

I found now this:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/exporting-object-no-autogen-supression.431723/

and it helps. But if anyone knows a more comfortable way, I would be happy to know.

Last edited:
If it is the default fence, it should not suppress autogen at all because it is a vector object (I do not know the exact name for it). So if you still have problems with autogen suppression, look elsewhere and not blame the fence (AFAIK:)).

Country
us-illinois
If a 3D fence scenery object (whether "flat" or not) ...is placed via BGLComp-type XML, would it not be susceptible to the same Autogen suppression attribute unless it were placed as cited above, with the "NoAutogenSuppression" parameter ? :scratchch

FYI: Yet another way to "work-around" this mechanism for both Autogen suppression and shadow suppression without, apparently, the usual "gotchas": :idea:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/how-to-prevent-autogen-and-scenery-interfering.16077/

Interestingly, placing object RefPoints slightly "underground" seems to also work for avoiding a number of placement "gotchas": :pushpin:

http://www.simforums.com/Forums/is3-very-weird-problem-see-pics_topic55293.html

GaryGB

Country
germany
If it is the default fence, it should not suppress autogen at all because it is a vector object (I do not know the exact name for it). So if you still have problems with autogen suppression, look elsewhere and not blame the fence (AFAIK:)).

No, it is a custom fence and it is surrounding the entire airport. So it is quite a big object. But with the NoSuppression flag it is working now. I just think, that I am still missing something. I can't imagine that a tool like MCX can do so many things but not change that flag for an object. I am sure I am missing something...

Interestingly, placing object RefPoints slightly "underground" seems to also work for avoiding a number of placement "gotchas": :pushpin:

That is really interesting to know and might help at a later stage. Thanks for all the help. This issue is closed now. I am sure another one will come up soon :)