• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Autogen not showing up on P3D V3

Country
brazil
Hi, I´m new on all this design stuff, I am trying to enhance one of my sceneries. The thing is, I annotate e.g. 10 buildings, but in the sim I can see only 8.

The other issue is, when I try to choose custom texture, the building´s walls go black.

Thanks for any help,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Did you make a night texture as well for your custom texture? And the custom texture should go in the main texture folder.

About the missing houses, it could be due to the size or density settings.

Country
brazil
Did you make a night texture as well for your custom texture? And the custom texture should go in the main texture folder.

About the missing houses, it could be due to the size or density settings.

What main texture folder, the P3D´s root folder or the texture folder in my custom scenery folder?

Could you do a deeper explanation about size and density of the autogen? I´m really lost here, this might be the cause, but I can´t really find any good enough tutorials about autogen. Everything I know till this point I read in this forum. hehehe

Thanks Arno,

Country
us-illinois
Hi Arno:

When you state "the custom texture should go in the main texture folder", are you referring to a requirement that one's custom texture for an Autogen object ...should be physically located directly within the main texture sub-folder of P3Dv3 ? ...ex: :scratchch

[P3Dv3 install path]\Texture

FYI: I don't have P3Dv3 to test, but am trying to understand all that is involved to port a FSX scenery into a P3Dv3 installation.

I am particularly intrigued as to how this may work, considering the information posted in a recent thread here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/prepar3d-v3-dissapointment.435243/

Thanks for your clarification with regards to the above inquiry. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

What I meant with the size is that buildings that are very narrow can sometimes give issues. They might dissapear for example. So are the two buildings you are missing very different in size from the others?

Country
brazil
Hi,

What I meant with the size is that buildings that are very narrow can sometimes give issues. They might dissapear for example. So are the two buildings you are missing very different in size from the others?

No they aren´t. Actually I always do like this:

1 - Draw the building
2 - Copy the building and go pasting in the neighborhood.

This way, I guess its impossible to be different sizes. And I tried to draw widen buildings, but they keep missing one or another, here and there, no reasonable reason.

What about the texture, what texture folder you meant? The texture folder on the Prepar3d root or the one on my custom scenery?

Thanks.

Country
unitedstates
I think what you're is seeing is some unusual behavior resulting from POP_FREE_AUTOGEN=1 in the Prepar3d.cfg, try setting that to "0" (under the [Scenery] header) and I'll bet the disappearing objects show up again. That's not a solution of course as you can't expect your end-user to run POP_FREE_AUTOGEN=0 but I think it'll at least explain the quirk. The solution I'm afraid is to place modeled objects via XML placement at any critical locations where a missing autogen building really makes your photoreal look bad.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
You might also want to check if there are custom objects around that could suppress your autogen.

Yes, as Gary said, the texture needs to go in the main texture folder of P3D itself. Not in the texture folder of your scenery. Be aware that hte night texture needs to be there as well and it should be name MyTextureLM.dds (so not _LM).

Country
brazil
I think what you're is seeing is some unusual behavior resulting from POP_FREE_AUTOGEN=1 in the Prepar3d.cfg, try setting that to "0" (under the [Scenery] header) and I'll bet the disappearing objects show up again. That's not a solution of course as you can't expect your end-user to run POP_FREE_AUTOGEN=0 but I think it'll at least explain the quirk. The solution I'm afraid is to place modeled objects via XML placement at any critical locations where a missing autogen building really makes your photoreal look bad.

You might also want to check if there are custom objects around that could suppress your autogen.

Yes, as Gary said, the texture needs to go in the main texture folder of P3D itself. Not in the texture folder of your scenery. Be aware that hte night texture needs to be there as well and it should be name MyTextureLM.dds (so not _LM).

Just a little heads up, now annotator is working like a charm. The problem was really the place of the textures. Thank you very much.

Now I have other problem... Some objetcs from the library, they don´t show up, actually no one I tried... What´s the folder for those objects, I can´t find their textures.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The library objects placed as autogen come from the default.xml file. The different classes are defined in there.

The default objects come from the autogen.bgl file in the global scenery folder. But you can also add your own custom objects to the default.xml file and in that case the libraries can be in your own scenery folder.

Country
brazil
The library objects placed as autogen come from the default.xml file. The different classes are defined in there.

The default objects come from the autogen.bgl file in the global scenery folder. But you can also add your own custom objects to the default.xml file and in that case the libraries can be in your own scenery folder.

Still don´t get it. How do I see the buildings in the library, by name I can´t guess how they really look like.

When I annotate the library buildings they don´t show up on the scenery, when I go to Prepar3d.

One more thing, can I have more than one texture in the same scenery? I say that because everytime I change the texture to place new buildings, annotator changes the textures for all the buildings.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
You can only have one texture per autogen tile. And I think Annotator only supports one texture per scenery actually.

Country
brazil
You can only have one texture per autogen tile. And I think Annotator only supports one texture per scenery actually.

Understood.

And concerning to the library buildings, how do I visualize them? The strip control shows only the name/discription.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'm not sure there's an easy way to visualise them. If you check the default.xml file you'll see the object guids per class. These objects you can find in the lists you used already.

Maybe a good feature for scenproc to visualise the object classes :)

Yes, if someone is looking for a project, what we really need is a simple way to set the properties on a tile-basis -- I normally create temporary subsets of my photos to be able to set the building height for a specific area, but I've always thought that a tool which allowed me to select tiles would be very useful.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
ScenProc can do it, but that's if you create all your autogen from data. Or you might be able to tweak only the textures with it.

With my agntools (agn2txt and txt2agnx) you could also change the texture used afterwards. Could probably be scripted to rename the texture for certain tiles.