• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Autogyro Prop and Rotor Question

Country
us-texas
I will preface my question by saying that apparently what I'm trying to do is impossible (but I want to give it a shot at least).
I found an FS2002 model of the Wa-116 Autogryo "Little Nellie" (modeled by DaveWG 20 years ago) that was used in the Bond flick "You only live twice". It actually flies perfectly as is in FSX with all the animations working correctly. The only drawback was that the pilot model is visible in the VC and so vision to either side was obscured. I decided to try to convert it to FSX, which I did. I then edited out the pilot using the heirarchy in MCX and saved the resulting model as "interior" to complete the FSX version.

The only resulting problem is that both the prop and rotor animations have gone wonky. They turn but it's very jerky. Obviously the simple conversion I did left something to be desired but I don't know where to look to see if it's fixable. Any suggestion other than . . ."it's not possible"? lol

Country
us-texas
Is that crickets I hear? In Lieu of any feedback I have decided to become a masochist and dive into Blender to possibly salvage this neat little autogyro. I converted the mdl to dae format and imported that into Blender. From this point on I'm guessing that sometime before my 80th birthday (I'm 76 now) I might have figured out how to get started, lol.

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
You need to animate the prop and rotors using the FSX method. Earlier versions of FS did it in a way that will not work in FSX. If you cannot find a FSX SDK, use a P3D one, it uses the same animation method as FSX.
Roy

rotorhub

Resource contributor
Country
norway
My Commander 685 for FS9 was ported to FSX/P3D using MCX. Some of the animations were tagged with the "old" system, such as rudder. It had no keyframes, just a pivot axis and name.
I never had to reanimate those. The props were animated, so perhaps this was the reason that it worked as described in the tutorial.

Rotorhub

Country
us-texas
I assume that it's the hierarchy tree where I would do all this? I went through that initially and the only setting for both the prop and the rotor was "still", no mention of slow or blurred. Would those need to be added for those parts?

rotorhub

Resource contributor
Country
norway
I have sent you a document describing the process. I don't know if it will work for your model, but load it into MCX with the suggested conditions and see if you have any slow and blur props in the model.

Country
us-texas
My thanks to those who offered information on how to proceed, huge help in getting past the wall I had put up assuming it was going to be too much for this old brain. Rotorhub, the document was relatively easy to follow and once the steps to locate each part of the prop/rotor were understood it went fairly smooth. I have tested it and I will have to go back and check the "slow" settings for both as I have a nice blur and still but no slow.. Now, once the slow setting is corrected I'll work the VC. Since this is an open cockpit with almost unlimited view to 360 degrees, there's not much I need to eliminate of the external model. . . .most likely only directly aft. I'll play with it and see.

Again, thanks to everyone for your suggestions. While I have succeeded in converting this small machine to Native FSX, I don't want to get overly secure in assuming I can tackle the more detailed aircraft I'd like to see converted just as easily. . .but it is a start. Thank you all.

rotorhub

Resource contributor
Country
norway
It seems like your brain is working perfectly fine😃 Good luck and remember it can be addictive. This might not be your last. MCX is a powerful tool. Regards Rotorhub