• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Autopilot engagement using MCP or a separate switch

Country
ca-novascotia
Hello all,

I have a BAe146 simpit using the Quality Wings platform. I have used FS Panel studio to position my instruments and Bodnar 836x board to interface with some of the switches using OEM hardware.

I am trying to get my VR MCP to engage the autopilot using the plug and play interface, and although the AP function is recognised, it keeps disconnecting after 2 seconds or so.

The only option for autopilot engagement, at this point, is using a mouse click on the AP pop up window. (AP disconnect was successfully interfaced using the yoke push on button).

I have also tried to wire up a separate switch through the 836x, but have the same results.

Mouse "trapping" using FSUIPC macro was also unsuccessful..

I will include a video link to try and better explain my problem...

My question here is simple....is there something about this particular QW146 switch parameter that will not allow it to connect to a hardware switch? and if so is there any kind of workaround that will enable me to do so??

I have sent this same information to support@quality wings...but have yet to hear a response..

Jim

Country
us-newjersey
There's nothing like
My question here is simple....is there something about this particular QW146 switch parameter that will not allow it to connect to a hardware switch? and if so is there any kind of workaround that will enable me to do so??

I have sent this same information to support@quality wings...but have yet to hear a response..

Jim

Its because the autopilot button on the panel is in the off position. If it detects the button is in the off position while the autopilot master is on, it will turn off the autopilot.

You'd have to set the Lvar 'autopilot_master_switch_clicked' to 1 to toggle the autopilot button.

Country
ca-novascotia
ErnieAlston,

Thank you very much for the information!....I will attempt to change that parameter and re post my results.

Thank you again!

Jim

Country
ca-novascotia
Hello ErnieAlston,

Sort of hit a roadblock with the AP function. I am a bit of a novice at some of this stuff, so my question is do I need an addon program to read the variables for the autopilot? and if so what program would that be. I have AirED, but I don't think that is the direction i need to solve this problem (?)

Jim

Country
us-newjersey
Hello ErnieAlston,

Sort of hit a roadblock with the AP function. I am a bit of a novice at some of this stuff, so my question is do I need an addon program to read the variables for the autopilot? and if so what program would that be. I have AirED, but I don't think that is the direction i need to solve this problem (?)

Jim

You can use FSUIPC to trigger a Lua script to set the Lvar.

See this video for a example how its done.

Country
ca-novascotia
Hello ErnieAlston,

Tried to download the variables as per the YouTube clip. I have gone to 'modules' in the FS9 folder, but nothing....there does not seem to be a modules file I can access directly when looking under "quality wings", (which is the payware program I am using. Have not given up, still looking).

With respect to assigning a button, and executing the process as per FSUIPC, this was not a problem...just cannot find the L:var info.

I have attached the only file I could (so far) retrieve from QW146. Not sure if changing any parameters here would accomplish the same task.

Again thank you for all of your help....I think I am at least getting closer to a solution.

Jim

Jim
image0000001 (1).jpg

Country
us-newjersey
Hello ErnieAlston,

Tried to download the variables as per the YouTube clip. I have gone to 'modules' in the FS9 folder, but nothing....there does not seem to be a modules file I can access directly when looking under "quality wings", (which is the payware program I am using. Have not given up, still looking).

With respect to assigning a button, and executing the process as per FSUIPC, this was not a problem...just cannot find the L:var info.

I have attached the only file I could (so far) retrieve from QW146. Not sure if changing any parameters here would accomplish the same task.

FS9 ?? Sorry didn't realize you were using FS9. That FSUIPC Lvars logging feature may not have existed in the fs9 version.

Try using the xml_lvars gauge on doug dawsons site.

This gauge that will display all the current Lvars in use and their current values, add the gauge as a popup window to your panel.cfg.

Country
ca-novascotia
Hello ErnieAlston,

Thank you for that link...i successfully downloaded the gauge file and ran it and mapped the variables. I am still uncertain how to adjust said variables but have included 3 videos for your review. the first video shows the manipulation of the autopilot master switch on the overhead panel, and operates as one would expect.

The second video shows an example of the yaw damper push switch located on the AP control (popup window), and it too operates as expected.

The third and final video shows me attempting to engage the autopilot function using the AP button on the controller. As you can see nothing happens. I suspect there may be a lockout for this function when the aircraft is on the ground...I have to run to work so will continue to troubleshoot this week...attempting to get a variable from the switch in question.

Jim

Country
us-newjersey
Use the '_clicked' Lvars for input by setting them to '1'

Ex : ap_engage_button_clicked , set to '1' to turn on the autopilot.

This will ensure all the logic behind the button press is maintained.
The Plane will reset the '_clicked' Lvar back to zero.

Country
ca-novascotia
So...now I that I can read the switch variables, how does one change them?

I cannot seem to access any type of notepad file with respect to the switch variables, and since the program only reads the switch parameters, I would not be able to modify them here.

Jim

Country
us-newjersey
So...now I that I can read the switch variables, how does one change them?

I cannot seem to access any type of notepad file with respect to the switch variables, and since the program only reads the switch parameters, I would not be able to modify them here.

Jim

Make a new text file in your /modules folder end with extension .mcro

Example:

File: ap_engage_button_clicked.mcro (place in FS../modules folder)

[Macros]
1=L:AP_ENGAGE_BUTTON_CLICKED=1

This file name will display on the 'control sent when button pressed' menu in FSUIPC.

See the first video I posted, it shows how to trigger the lua script from your joystick button via FSUIPC.

Country
ca-novascotia
Hello ErnieAlston,

Just to give you an update...i was successful in programming the autopilot on/off function through the FSUIPC mouse macro function. I tried to install a separate hardware switch, but through trial and error was not successful. At least now I can manipulate the on off AP function through a separate key!

Again thank you for all of your help

Jim.

Country
ca-novascotia
update!!!!

Ok....so as I stated in my last thread, I basically programmed a bunch of switches with the FSUIPC mouse macro function, (battery master on, apu on off, autopilot on, apu generator on off, etc etc), assigning a keyboard stroke to each one using the 'KEYPRESS" function, (FSUIPC) drop down menu, (as one would). allowing me to control these functions using the keyboard command rather than a mouse "click".

Since I now had all the marco's listed under 'aircraft specific" "FS commands" (ie: "qw146_APUON, qw146_batteryon, etc, etc), I could now access these commands directly through my 836x joystick board, thereby allowing me to assign a hardware switch directly to that listed operation using the (FSUIPC) "BUTTONS AND SWITCHES" selection and having the function operate flawlessly.

It works perfectly, and now I can select my autopilot ON and OFF using a hardware switch.

Takes me a while, but eventually i catch on!

Thanks again ErnieAlston

Jim