• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Axes in FlightGear?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Does anybody know what axes FlightGear uses for its objects? I am working on reading the AC3D format, but it seems my object is mirrored.

In FS the axes are usually XZY, it seems now that FlightGear uses XZ-Y, but can anybody confirm that?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I have just put the AC3D reader and writer in the ModelConverterX development release, but I am still looking for clarification on these axes. I think the AC3D files I export now are not correct for FlightGear because the axes are different.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Mike,

Not really, but the Wiki helped. I now found another page:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:_3D_Aircraft_Models

That seems to explain the coordinates used for aircraft. Although in the AC3D files I have found until now the Z is not up, the Y is up (like in FS). So I will do some more searching.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I just had a quick scan of it, it seems they have many systems indeed. Although I did not see a confirmation of what I found in the AC3D models, that looks like to be different again. I'll do some more reading.

mgh

Country
unitedkingdom
I wonder why both FS and XP chose not to use the conventional aircradft axis system:

x +ve forward
y +ve starboard
z + ve downwards?

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Both FlightGear and X-Plane use the ac3d model format which dictates the axis system they use.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I don't think the AC3D modelling format dictates anything, I could also export it just as XYZ, with Z pointing up and the file is still valid.

Actually the FlightGear axes seem a little more logical to me, since at least it is a right-handed coordinate system. In FS it is left-handed.

I guess I'll just use some trial and error on this. I have downloaded FlightGear now and I will just try to insert some models I converted with ModelConverterX. That should show quickly enough if the axes are right or not.

mgh

Country
unitedkingdom
The disadvantage of non-conventional axis system is its incositence with real-world aerodynamic data.

mgh

Country
unitedkingdom
The disadvantage of non-conventional axis system is its inconsistency with real-world aerodynamic data.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yesterday I exported and placed some objects to FlightGear. They seem ok, so I guess I got the axes right now in ModelConverterX.

Country
netherlands
Arno, just for your information, FlightGear has an active forum, at which you can get any help you might need. At least you'll reach far more FG developers than you'll find here ;)

http://www.flightgear.org/forums

Btw, does this mean you started to check whether it is possible to use NL-2000 scenery in FlightGear? :rolleyes:

Gijs
FlightGear scenery (and too much to name) developer

PS: You can always drop me a message if you need help on anything.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Arno, just for your information, FlightGear has an active forum, at which you can get any help you might need. At least you'll reach far more FG developers than you'll find here ;)

http://www.flightgear.org/forums

Btw, does this mean you started to check whether it is possible to use NL-2000 scenery in FlightGear? :rolleyes:

Gijs
FlightGear scenery (and too much to name) developer

PS: You can always drop me a message if you need help on anything.

Gijs

Thanks for coming by and joining our forum. I have taken your advice and joined up over on the FG forum. What I said there represents my position on MSFS and FG of course and I do not speak for others :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Gijs,

I'll check the FlightGear forum as well, thanks for the tip.

I am just one of the team members of NL2000 of course, but who knows :). I first want to understand better what the similarities and differences are between the ways scenery is made for the different sims.