• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Azores X - Azores island group

AndyPaul

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hello there,

a quick introduction to this project:

I will be re-creating the Azores island group in FSX which will eventually include mesh, landclass and the airports. The reason for this is that I am missing a decent freeware out there, hence this project came to life. No phototexture will be included as I want to make use of the new FTX Global which likely will be required at the end.

What has been done so far are the mesh using SRTM3 data with a LOD range between 6 - 11 and the coastline. The raw mesh had quite a lot of stair-stepping, adding FractionBits=3 to the .inf for the resample tool did solve it though.

Enough talking, let the screenies speak (With FTX Global in Hybrid mode)

Let me know if like what you see and whether you're interested in this project! :)

Cheers

EDIT: All screenshots show the custom landclass with FTX Global textures (FTX Global in Hybrid mode), so please all credit should go to Orbx with their FTX Global texture package

Attachments

• AzX_1.jpg
    AzX_1.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 1,125
  • AzX_2.jpg
    AzX_2.jpg
    739.9 KB · Views: 934
  • AzX_3.jpg
    AzX_3.jpg
    785.7 KB · Views: 940
  • AzX_Mesh.JPG
    AzX_Mesh.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 830
  • AzX_5.jpg
    AzX_5.jpg
    825.6 KB · Views: 946
  • AzX_4.jpg
    AzX_4.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 826
Last edited:
Country
england
Well, I would as it's freeware but if it's going to need FTX global then it's not for me.

Country
germany
Hi

sounds good and looks good. I'm working currently on new AFD's for all Airports of the Azores. If you want we could work together this would save you time by focusing on the tertain and I can fucus my work on the Airports.

The first three are already online and can be downlaod here

Kai

AndyPaul

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Sounds good, let's collaborate on this one! :)

You do the airports, I will do the meshes, coastlines and landclass. If you need any buildings modelled for the airports, let me know as well. I'm using Blender and ModelComverterX. My texturing skills are not pro but we could do some magic to have it look like payware ;-)

Also: German

Grüsse,
Andreas

Country
spain
there was an interesting and important USA air base in Azores in the cold war era, don't know if exist right now.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
there was an interesting and important USA air base in Azores in the cold war era, don't know if exist right now.

Lajes.

It's still used as a stopover on transatlantic flights.

Well, I would as it's freeware but if it's going to need FTX global then it's not for me.

I want to make use of the new FTX Global which likely will be required at the end.

Umm....FTX Global only consists of repainted ground textures for FSX, so it's not required at all.

(The only thing is that the final look of the landscape will be slightly different for people running stock FSX textures or GEX.

AndyPaul

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
FTX Global also changes the way how landclass is placed in FSX via several files such as lclookup.bgl. Hence, if I adjust the landclass to FTX Global's way of doing, it might just not look as intended. Of course it will work without it but it won't look as it should.

cheers

D

Deleted member 12476

Than you!!! Can't wait to see my archipelago in FSX with FTXG textures! :D
This + TS Sceneries = :eek:

Any date? :p

Obs: It's possible to add some city data?

Country
england
FTX Global also changes the way how landclass is placed in FSX via several files such as lclookup.bgl. Hence, if I adjust the landclass to FTX Global's way of doing, it might just not look as intended. Of course it will work without it but it won't look as it should.

cheers

Well, you did say originally 'FTX Global which likely will be required at the end'
So will it be required or not ?

AndyPaul

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Some more screenies from Terceira. This is a wip, the forest and cities simply are vector landclasspoly's ontop of a base landclass (Cool_Irrigated_Cropland). It looks ok, although a lot of work has to be done still. :) I hope that the transition from urban to vegetation can be improved somehow. I will see how it looks when the whole island is covered.

Attachments

• AzX_10.jpg
    AzX_10.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 830
  • AzX_11.jpg
    AzX_11.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 772
  • AzX_12.jpg
    AzX_12.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 744
  • AzX_13.jpg
    AzX_13.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 720
  • AzX_14.jpg
    AzX_14.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 693
Hi,

I also look forward to it but hopefully not as amateuristically unreal as the freeware ones you find now (just like you said).
I still wonder how you are going to make all those hortensia hedges around the pastures on Terceira (and the cows in them), though:).

Roby

PS Lajes still serves as a hub for the USAF as I have even seen the C-5 Galaxy land there recently.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany

Then just put a disclaimer in the product description or readme.

Making it "FTX Global exclusive" *will* scare away lots of users.