• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Background Image in ADE

Country
unitedkingdom
In my planning on creating a tool to download and create images from Google Maps, I came across a program called GMapCatcher, which it turns out does exactly what I wanted.

So instead of reinventing the wheel, I created a tutorial on how to download a high resolution satellite image and add it as a background image in ADE.

Please see the attached pdf document.

Edit 21-NOV-15:
Updated instructions to include SAS.Planet.

Attachments

• ADE Background Images Tutorial.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 4,377
Last edited:
Country
us-washington
After adding the background image and then compile, shouldn't I see my new background image in FSX? I have the latest version of ADEX

Country
unitedkingdom
No, it's just for use as a template. To make photoscenery in FSX, you need to make an .inf file with the information on it and run it through resample to compile a .bgl with the image in it. Look at the SDK for examples.

But you'd need to save it as a geotiff for it to work.

You need OSGeo4W tools, read here...

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=GeoTIFF_file_creation_with_GDAL

Basically, use the corner coordinates with a gdal translate script...

gdal_translate -a_srs "+proj=latlong +datum=WGS84" -of GTiff
-co "INTERLEAVE=PIXEL" -a_ullr 2.873697280883789 51.23955125258209
2.942361831665039 51.20725980992728 myfile.jpg myfile.tif

(W, N, E, S)

best to copy it into notepad and edit it, then copy & paste it with RMB into OSGeo4W (word wrap off).

So that it compiles a geotiff with the corner coordinates tagged.

It's best to do this after you have photoschopped it etc.

Amazing tutorial though Charly!! Thanks, this will be of great help.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
WOW! I learned something new today. I tried but disappointing that PNG is not good image very blurry image when I add>image. It doesn't good image. How do I get jpg for GMapcather when import map? But I thought I could snapper screenshot from my Google Earth and I got figure it out. It works! I found image was too small but I found image position for zoom in or out. It works! I'm glad that I learned something new now. I could quicker drawing on all taxiway and apron without using Google Earth ruler measure and measure and measure a lot of work on my hand time! Now, I don't have to use ruler anymore. Great! Thank you guys!

Stuart

Country
italy
Good tutorial, thanks so much.

In the same way I can I load in ADE the background image obatined via SBuilderX which I used as template in Max without use GMapCatcher I suppose......

I need infact to match the taxiline created with Max (via background image from SBuilder X) with those one present in ADE stock airport, creating them from scratch.

Or better can I import directly a top-down view via FSX of my custom ground poly created with Max?

Country
germany
I'm using for creating background images an online tool: Rhumba gmaps, published by Dick (aka Rhumbaflappy), a moderator here at fsdeveloper.com. Those can be used for creating photo scenery with SBX as well.

Edit: Dick has links to some other useful tools here.

EDIT 2: It had been just the first glance making the whole thing more complicated than other ways. I just tried the tool and it is great. Nice finding and very useful, thanks!

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi has anyone got a good link for GMapCatcher, have googled it and unable find anything newer than 0805. Thanks

Country
unitedkingdom
It worked for me when I tried it yesterday, although Chrome didn't like to download it.

I think I may be able to upload it to my website, but have to check the licence first.

Country
azerbaijan
I recommend SASPlanet, works with GMaps plus lots of other providers of digital imagery and reprojects to WGS84 on the fly unlike eg. FSEarthTiles: http://www.sasgis.org/download/

Take the latest version from Nov 11, 2015.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks. I'll have a look at it, and update the instructions. Looks a lot more stable and smoother than GMapCatcher.