Bellanca Super Viking

Hey Web,

Sorry you feel that way. I was only pointing out that the knobs you said werent working are working, and why the plane doesnt trim out like other planes. I wasnt jumping on you. That was a large amount of issues you found and it seems they are all working fine.

If you are unhappy with it, please let me know. Email me. I am here to make planes that people will really enjoy and fly for years. I work very hard at what I do and I wanted this Viking to be the best. I stand behind it. The knob and switch works awesome, and she is a bear to trim. She is one wild, high performance plane. :)

Bill Ortis
ceo
LHC

Concerning the Viking, I thought you all might like this. I was inspired to try some graphics to spruce up the 'gauge popups'. I wanted some cool popup panels for gauges, like the 6-pack, engines, and switches. I had done similar with the Kodiak package with a color outline of yellow that was synonymous with the Kodiak. With the Viking, it tends to be a sky blue or light blue color, not really light, but sort of a Bugatti blue color. I did this with the popups and I think they turned out well. A very 'new' look, but also sort of period of those times of the 1970's to 1990's. Still a bit of lived in scruffy look, some curved edges.

2020-4-7_20-1-19-15.jpg
2020-4-7_19-59-50-50.jpg
2020-4-7_19-59-39-924.jpg

And... The Viking comes with a 2D panel. Very very basic, but some people want these still.

My theory is, quite a few people use home cockpits and having a 2D panel probably works out better for the.

In my case, I have 4 different colors of instrument panels. I settled for only one, in black, to represent all 4 versions.

I had attempted to make one from a screenshot, but it always had problems with parts and things in the photo, so I decided to make a rendering of it in 3ds Max from the rear view. This way I could leave out various knobs and things so the 2D gauge version XML gauges could place their own knobs where they wanted and I didnt have to deal with a ton of photoshop hiding and touch-ups.

2020-4-7_20-3-14-865.jpg

A cool little side thing people may never find, is that you can slide the panel to see the lower regions via mouse dragging the graphics up. Not a lot down there, and switches arent present, but you can see more. Blocks the view forward though.

I found 2 bugs on my NAV2 radio. Cannot believe that got through our testing. I have already updated the package and installers.
Also noted in the updated manual how you open the cargo door. Shift-E-2. (2nd door command).

I hate bugs...

Oz, this uses the regular old way. I'm sorry. I have seen and heard about the new XML addition way. Very interesting, but not sure how it works.

Hello Bill, thank you very much for your great addon. The Super Viking is working like a charme. I like it very much. Also the way you mapped the parts. It is easy to repaint.

Anyway I did the last remaining D-reg in Germany. Also a nice one.

Thomas

Hey Bill,

No worries. I'm a pretty thick skinned individual, sometimes thick headed, as well. I know how it feels to put a great number of hours into a project and have some random person come along and nit-pick your work to death. It was not my intention at all. Your talent shows in your highly detailed airplanes. It is just that I have just started to "invest" financially in FSX. With FS9, 2000, and 98 (yes I'm that damn old), I only downloaded and flew freeware planes... I hadn't even attempted to buy any commercially sold add-ons for them. So my first purchase when I decided to be a bit more active and invested with FSX was for Carenado and their beautiful Cessna 337H Skymaster. Gorgeous plane, but wen I installed it and went to fly it and right away saw the lack of a 2D panel, I was pretty disappointed. But instead of getting mad and feeling robbed, I decided to spend the next month figuring out how you all make a 2D panel and I made myself one for Carenado's 337 Skymaster. Now I really enjoy the aircraft.

When it came to my experience with your Viking, it re-opened that same past issue I had when I purchased the Skymaster. The difference is, I can do graphics work, from my days as a web designer back in the 90's. But I don't know squat when it comes to the gauge work or flight dynamics of these planes. I'm just starting to dabble in the scenery aspect of FSX with ADE.

So I have decided to be more patient with that which I do not understand completely. So please don't take it that I'm tearing down your work. I am just trying to understand it better, so I may be pestering you occasionally when I run into "an issue" or unfamiliarity with them.

As for the mini-panel you've just created for the viking. The screenshots you've shared here are fantastic. Also, THANK YOU, for keeping us 2D panel die-hards in mind when creating your planes, and not (in my opinion) "short cutting" the work by leaving out the 2D panel.

Thanks again bill for such masterpieces.

~WEB~

Hey Bill,

No worries. I'm a pretty thick skinned individual, sometimes thick headed, as well. I know how it feels to put a great number of hours into a project and have some random person come along and nit-pick your work to death. It was not my intention at all. Your talent shows in your highly detailed airplanes. It is just that I have just started to "invest" financially in FSX. With FS9, 2000, and 98 (yes I'm that damn old), I only downloaded and flew freeware planes... I hadn't even attempted to buy any commercially sold add-ons for them. So my first purchase when I decided to be a bit more active and invested with FSX was for Carenado and their beautiful Cessna 337H Skymaster. Gorgeous plane, but wen I installed it and went to fly it and right away saw the lack of a 2D panel, I was pretty disappointed. But instead of getting mad and feeling robbed, I decided to spend the next month figuring out how you all make a 2D panel and I made myself one for Carenado's 337 Skymaster. Now I really enjoy the aircraft.

When it came to my experience with your Viking, it re-opened that same past issue I had when I purchased the Skymaster. The difference is, I can do graphics work, from my days as a web designer back in the 90's. But I don't know squat when it comes to the gauge work or flight dynamics of these planes. I'm just starting to dabble in the scenery aspect of FSX with ADE.

So I have decided to be more patient with that which I do not understand completely. So please don't take it that I'm tearing down your work. I am just trying to understand it better, so I may be pestering you occasionally when I run into "an issue" or unfamiliarity with them.

As for the mini-panel you've just created for the viking. The screenshots you've shared here are fantastic. Also, THANK YOU, for keeping us 2D panel die-hards in mind when creating your planes, and not (in my opinion) "short cutting" the work by leaving out the 2D panel.

Thanks again bill for such masterpieces.

~WEB~

Glad to help out. I was so afraid I had a bunch of malfunctions. I was glad to find they were all working fine. But when looking things over, I did find 2 bugs. I hate bugs so bad. Cant get around them. They hide till release day, then the audience finds them. Sad and painful but it is part of the package in this business.

Another 2D panel lover! You guys are out there. I tried to quit making them long ago, but so many want them.

I hope you have FSPS (FS Panel Studio). The best dang program in the world for developers in making panels and adjustment of gauges.

Hello Bill, thank you very much for your great addon. The Super Viking is working like a charme. I like it very much. Also the way you mapped the parts. It is easy to repaint.

Thomas
That is brilliant...! What simulator is this in? It looks quite realistic. Like PBR in XPlane 11 or perhaps FS2020.

Would be VERY happy to show you how as it is SUPER easy :D Have helped a couple other lads get their head around it too :D

Oz, I probably wouldnt use it. I prefer to keep my installations uniform. Its an interesting concept though. For my fleet of installers, it would be a complete change and my workflow would go off into a new zone. I fear to change my direction in that department.

I hope you have FSPS (FS Panel Studio). The best dang program in the world for developers in making panels and adjustment of gauges.
No actually, xml is second nature for me.. so I freehand created the 2D panel for the Skymaster. But I am however all for expedience without loss of quality or functionality, whenever possible. So I will check into FS Panel Studio. I'm sure it will help speed up the gauge placement. :laughing:

~WEB~

Well Bill, I went back and looked at the Super Viking again, to see if I could figure out the fuel message I was getting and try and learn the Viking's desired trim, instead of my "heavy handed" trim methods. As well I took a second look at the Com knob. As I thought, I was in the 2D panel view when I tried it. As you stated, it works beautifully in the VC.

I did however get the fuel message within the first 30 seconds of the plane loading. I decided to look at the fuel gauges in the VC, because they are not visible in 2D. I could see all three gauges were reading correctly according to the placard, so I decided to test something. I reduced the fuel quantity by 50% for all 3, and the message went away, or in this case, quit coming up on the screen. So, now that I had that figured out, I decided to give the trim part a go... It took me about an hour to get familiar with the Viking but I managed to get it trimmed out and flying amazingly. I am impressed with how agile she is. I even played with the AP. The Pitch hold was something to definitely learn. At one point I was holding 4600 ft and a nose down attitude of -2.6 degrees. I figured it out though, with a little persistence I had her in straight and level. The rest of the evening I practiced my STOL approaches. The shorter the better! The Super Viking proved to be perfect for it. Not only does it have incredible power for fast short take-offs, but when flown "properly", she literally "floats like a dove", nice and slow onto the landing strip.

So now I just need to get that mini-panel you created downloaded and install it, speaking of which, Where do I download it from? Just looked back at LHC website and didn't find it.

Also, do you have a patch for these bugs you found, yet?

OMG!! I just read this:
A cool little side thing people may never find, is that you can slide the panel to see the lower regions via mouse dragging the graphics up. Not a lot down there, and switches arent present, but you can see more. Blocks the view forward though.
I stand corrected again, sir! LOL

~WEB~

Last edited:
That is brilliant...! What simulator is this in? It looks quite realistic. Like PBR in XPlane 11 or perhaps FS2020.
No, it is your pure Bellanca in P3DV5. I only change my new painted textures of fuselage, wings etc. without merging anything. Your superb model is looking quite fine in V5. Also without PBR. But you have to know, which folders you put in V5.

Thomas

Oz, I probably wouldnt use it. I prefer to keep my installations uniform. Its an interesting concept though. For my fleet of installers, it would be a complete change and my workflow would go off into a new zone. I fear to change my direction in that department.
Change is never easy but it certainly makes things a LOT easier on you clients when they update their P3D installs or even want to add it into the newest version of the SIM without waiting for an updated installer from yourself :)

Also, do you have a patch for these bugs you found, yet?

~WEB~
Hey Web,

I had a few updates throughout the entire package, and many planes in the same sim, so I updated the entire package. You need to redownload it from the shop you purchased it from and all the updates will be in there.

I am going to check the fuel selector MouseRect in the ModelDef and make sure that is all in order and I may be doing another update if it has a bug. So you might hold before re-downloading.

No, it is your pure Bellanca in P3DV5. I only change my new painted textures of fuselage, wings etc. without merging anything. Your superb model is looking quite fine in V5. Also without PBR. But you have to know, which folders you put in V5.

Thomas

Amazing work. Goodness...

Do you find everything to be working fine in V5? All systems running ok? I wish I had that. Its on my rig, but will not run in Windows 7. Stalls on startup. :(

Thomas
In case you are wondering, those little light shields on the wing tips are located here on the texture sheets for the wings...

peoge[bs.JPG

Web,

Concerning the fuel selector. Where do you get the warning message? On the fuel selector, it only states the selection, not tank amounts. I got zero warning message from the selector. I also didnt get a warning message at the top left in red.

This is the tooltip text from the fuel selector. I do not see how a warning message could be coming from it.

Code:
        <TooltipText>Tank Selected = %((A:FUEL TANK SELECTOR:1, enum) 7 min)%{case}%{:0}OFF%{:1} %{:2}LEFT%{:3}RIGHT%{:4} %{:5} %{:6}AUX%{:7}BOTH%{end}%</TooltipText>
Maybe its from a different location?

Also, just curious, are you running any programs that are addons like a co-pilot program? I wonder if something saved and its thinking its in another plane?

Just trying to figure this out. Someone else emailed me and stated this same thing, but I see no warning message. I checked in both FSX and P3D.

It's not a tooltip, it's Microsoft's default low fuel warning.
"Your fuel level is critically low in the selected tank. Automatic Refuel is available Now. To complete this action, press: Ctrl + X"
Fuel Message-VC.jpgFuel Message-2D.jpg
Here is the fuel selector:
Fuel Selector.jpg
Here is the fuel settings that are default on the Viking:
Fuel Settings.jpg

As for 3rd party add-ons like co-pilot or any managers. None, I don't use any.
I do have FSUIPC and SODE installed into FSX
Other than those all I install Scenery and Aircraft, and all of it is manually installed, unless an installer is included.
I have no saved flight settings. I in fact deleted the one that FSUIPC creates.
Hope this helps...

Also, I'll wait to update until you say so.

~WEB~