• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Best modeling program and newbie help/advice

Country
unitedstates
Hi guys, I'm new here and new at modeling FSX aircraft.

I wanted to find out about a few things such as,

1. What's the best quality modeling program? I have 3ds max, Maya, AutoCAD, I've heard about blender and etc.

2. This might sound dumb but us there a way of designing your aircraft that you can make paintkits similar to PMDG style (where its not a jigsaw puzzle)

That's all for now, sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum and thank in advance for any help :)

Tom

Country
us-arizona
Hey Tom,

3DS Max 2014, 2015 are good with the Prepar3D V1 and V3 SDK kits. If you already use 3DS Max, you are good to go.

However you make your mapping, and however, you make your PSD layer files, that will be how good your paintkits are. Thats up to you. I like to make mine user friendly as best as possible.

Country
unitedstates
Hey Tom,

3DS Max 2014, 2015 are good with the Prepar3D V1 and V3 SDK kits. If you already use 3DS Max, you are good to go.

However you make your mapping, and however, you make your PSD layer files, that will be how good your paintkits are. Thats up to you. I like to make mine user friendly as best as possible.
Thanks :) Yeah that's what I want mine too :) I've also got PhotoShop don't know if that helps but I've used it to paint paintkits etc.

I've seen in some tutorials that the designer uses a different program to design the 'paint' lets say of the buttons (colors, details, text) Can't you also do it in 3ds or is it best to make it separately and add it on top?

Country
indonesia
if you familiar with 3DS MAX (have it) and still have lot of money to spent then try "Substance painter" it will save time to paint the model. not instant, but working process is faster than Photoshop. Subtance Painter painting model with 1 file consist of 4 layer(later after save in PSD), then photoshop divide texture base on the need of FSX/P3D texture. substance painter can saved to *.PSD format(photoshop file format) with layer, from layer by layer in PSD compile to *.dds with different compile base on layer texture. i.e. diffuse, specular, bump/normal map, night texture.
I think youtube.com have more reliable information about it, except using Substance Painter for making texture on FSX/P3D.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Quixel will do the same, but the mapping will determine how useful the paintkit will be. You can also render textures from Max: some modellers use this especially for the VC. You do need to understand how the sim works with textures and lighting to use this effectively: Classics Hangar did this in their Fw190 and Bf108 models.

Country
us-arizona
Thanks :) Yeah that's what I want mine too :) I've also got PhotoShop don't know if that helps but I've used it to paint paintkits etc.

I've seen in some tutorials that the designer uses a different program to design the 'paint' lets say of the buttons (colors, details, text) Can't you also do it in 3ds or is it best to make it separately and add it on top?

I use Max to generate Ambient Occlusion maps for perimeter/realism shading maps. I put them in the texture for the parts, adding them as a 'Multiply' layer in the layer 'type'. It then shades the part inside the texture. The pros use Max to generate bump maps also. I havent done that in Max before. I do it the simple way. There is a freeware nVidia addon for Photoshop that can generate Normal maps (bump maps) and also handling of DDS format textures (which is what FS handles. not max, but FS). Also, you must flip the DDS textures horizontally. Do not rotate, only flip. Sizes are 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, and 4096. Dont do too many in the higher ranges of 2048 or 4096. That can make a computer struggle. I usually use about 4 big ones total of 2048 or 4096.

Country
us-arizona
Quixel will do the same, but the mapping will determine how useful the paintkit will be. You can also render textures from Max: some modellers use this especially for the VC. You do need to understand how the sim works with textures and lighting to use this effectively: Classics Hangar did this in their Fw190 and Bf108 models.

Amazingly and unfortunately, I couldnt get Quixel to work for me. Are you using it, Tom?

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Would love to Bill, but need new video card as well as Quixel licence so not yet. Kids (sigh) - money pits! :duck:

And you flip the texture vertically when saving to .DDS – the nVidia plugin will do that automatically if you tick the box.

Country
unitedstates
Amazingly and unfortunately, I couldnt get Quixel to work for me. Are you using it, Tom?
No i am not using it, I've decided to wait until I finish travelling to start modelling with my other laptop (which has a more compatible 3ds version from what I've been reading)