• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Best version of 3ds Max for MSFS development, also Windows 11 compatibility?

RGS

Country
unitedkingdom
Couple of quick Qs:

Is it still the case that Max 2019/20 are the best options in terms of full MSFS tool functionality? Seems that way from what I can tell, but just checking that the SDK info is still valid/up to date.

Additionally, am contemplating updating to Win 11… Prob not the best idea as still early days for the OS, but thought I’d ask if anyone here had made the jump; if so, how's it working out (and which version of Max are you using)?

Thanks.

Country
us-california
Most developers are eligible for the Indie license from Autodesk, covering all versions I'm using switching between 2018 and 2021, for scenery this has all functions I need I believe.
Not sure about others but I'm not updating until i'm sure its better than what I have now, don't try to fix it if it isn't broken.

RGS

Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the Indie license is the way to go; I have an older version of Max registered to myself, but unfortunately it's no longer supported (either by MS or Autodesk).

Judging from your comments, Max 2019/20 are still the best as regards MSFS tools. I presume you model in Max '21 and then save as a Max '18 file in order to use the FS tool set?

As for the Win 11 update, now would just be a good time for me - but no real need and the risk of it breaking things is always there, hence my Q.