• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v3 Best way to create accurate taxiway lights

Country
qatar
Hi,

I'm well advanced in my current project but am struggling with the taxiway centerline lights. I have tried adding effects. While this works as expected, this is killing my fps as I cannot control how far I want the lights to display.

My questions:
1- Is there a way to control how far the effect can be displayed?
2- How do you guys add your centerlines without killing your fps?

Note, I have ruled out the default P3D lights. While this works -ish on straight lines (the light is floating above ground), this is a mess in turns.

Thanks all,

Fred

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have tried adding effects. While this works as expected, this is killing my fps as I cannot control how far I want the lights to display.
Everything has a price. When LM phased out BGL_LIGHTS (and other legacy technology) they took away our ability to create add-on stuff "cheaply". With P3D v2 onwards, you're "stuck" with effects. However, from my own experience, a few centerline light effects shouldn't have a dramatic effect on FPS.

1- Is there a way to control how far the effect can be displayed?
Normally, the complaint is that the range of effects is insufficient. In any case, FPS is likely highest when you are close to the airport, so limiting range (which can be done in the .fx file) isn't likely to have much effect.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Which part of the .fx file should I try to tweak then?
Frederic, the Special Effect SDK contains detailed information on the creation of effects and the use of the various parameters.

As far as I am concerned, the fx has a massive impact on FPS
Only you can determine that. However, in light of your first question, I gather you did not create the effect you are currently using but, instead, are using an existing effect created for some other purpose. An examination of its parameters may reveal why its so inefficient. A few dozen simple light effects should not have a massive impact on FS.

Don

Country
qatar
ok. the reason I was asking is because I was struggling going through the SDK for effects. I guess I will have to find the answers on my own...

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
It's in the Modeling SDK, entitled "Creating Special Effects".

Don

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

The simple way to get centerline lights that look good and don't hit frame rates is to turn off centerline lights at each intersection area. Then add disconnected Paths across the area, activating only centerline lights (and center lines, if you wish). These can be adjusted until your lighting and stripes look perfect everywhere.

Hope this helps,