• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Beta-Test AI-Aircraft Editor

We like to give you the chance to test drive a small utility which we consider including in the next release of ADE. The purpose of this tool is to edit the relevant AI aircraft parameter. This task is a tedious one involving a whole bunch of tools (Editor, AFCAD to change model radius, AI BBQ to change aircraft type). The goal of this tool is to allow all these changes under one hood.

If you are interested you are welcome to download and test the program. Included in the Zip file you will find a short description of the tool to get you started. Please post your feedback here.

Please update to release 1.3.7 or later! I have introduced a bug lately in the texture / model / aircraft tab which could cause entries to be deleted.

Download RC-3 AI-Aircraft-Editor 1.3.15

1.2.5 Initial public beta release
1.2.6 Bug fixed where an erratic error message was displayed about the mdl file being locked
1.2.7 Check for mdl and air file being read-only, analysis of fsx.cfg and shortcuts to SimObjectPaths, exit.2 edition added
1.2.8 Fixed error when aircraft folders where located on different drives
1.2.9 Fixed bug that caused lockup when editing FSX aircraft
1.2.10 Fixed bug where decimal delimiter handling was not active for exit.0 & exit.1 and re-aligned tabbing between fields
1.2.14 Parking codes can be added using the same definitions like in the ADE 'parkingSpecs.dat' file.
1.2.16 All tooltips have been reworked to better indicate what a respective button or field is for.
1.2.19 Interface redesign. Several additional parameters (atc_id, atc_model, atc_type,...) have been added. Color coding is: grey=inactive/n/a, white=editable, yellow=read-only
1.2.20 First take on supporting the 11 most AI relevant effect files
1.2.21 Fixed two bugs with either incorrect or not appearing confirmation before changing the aircraft type in the *.air file
1.2.22 Introduced mass updater for specific values
1.2.23 Mass updating now possible for selected [fltsim.x] sections in addition to all
1.2.24 Option added that the form can be resized. Resized mode is experimental
1.2.26 Settings for Confirmation and Resizing saved and autoloaded on next start
1.2.26 Last path saved and auto loaded on next start
1.2.26 Multi-select also works for [fltsim.x] deletion
1.2.26 [fltsim.0] section gets auto-loaded when aircraft folder is selected
1.2.26 AI-Editor visible in taskbar
1.2.26 New Tab where you can associate [fltsim.x] sections with textures and models in the aircraft folder
1.2.27 Some tool-tips were missing
1.2.28 Fixed bug in the texture and model functionality. The default texture and model folders (without .name) were not correctly honored
1.3.1 Interface re-design, introduction right-click menus, settings moved to menu, more
1.3.2 Small changes to ferret out bugs after re-design
1.3.3 I broke the code bringing you to the SimPath folders in 1.3.2, fixed here
1.3.5 Improved Update handling for textures, models and airfiles
1.3.6 Adding more robust error handling when loading corrupted / incomplete aircraft.cfg files
1.3.7 Bad bug fixed in the texture / model / aircraft assignment. Tooltips have been replaced with a very much enhanced version.
1.3.9 Fixed 'Resizeable' setting not remembered. Reworked wording of tooltips.
1.3.12 News Menu Settings / Auto-Backup. New Menu Tools / Delete keys. Tab1 elements combined with only one 'Update' button.
1.3.15 Sort keys in all [fltsim.x] sections added

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Martin,

The first thing that strikes me is that you do not read FSX.CFG to determine the SimObjectPaths. I have all of my AI aircraft on a different drive from FSX.

George

Hi Martin

When I select update regardless if I change something in the left panel (fltsim section) or not I get an error about the radius in the model.

If I say Ok the screen clears but the update if I did chance something like RAMP to GATE is accepted.

Using Vista 32

Hi Martin,

The first thing that strikes me is that you do not read FSX.CFG to determine the SimObjectPaths. I have all of my AI aircraft on a different drive from FSX.

George

How would you suggest to handle this, George? Kind of a list box where these paths are offered?

Hi Martin

When I select update regardless if I change something in the left panel (fltsim section) or not I get an error about the radius in the model.

If I say Ok the screen clears but the update if I did chance something like RAMP to GATE is accepted.

Using Vista 32

Just to be sure, Jim: Neither FSX is running nor do you have AFCAD open to control the changes you make with the tool? This error message indicates that the mdl file is opened by another process.

I get exactly the same but only on certain models. In this case I changed the atc_parking_types:

(Using XP)

Martin

Did a shutdown of the computer and then a new start just in case something was being held in memory.

Started the AI-Aircraft utility from my desktop shortcut. Change something or do not change anything and click update. A window pops saying are you sure, I say yes and then I get the error in my post above.

Any change I made such as RAMP to GATE sticks but I have to reopen the aircraft because the utility looses all data in the windows.

It was late last night when I looked at it Martin, so missed the list box to select other drives :eek:

Too late, George, you have got me started. I will add a listbox beside the FS9 FSX quick selectors. In that I will list all SimObjectPaths entries as a shortcut to go there.

Jim,

I assume that this is a Vista issue - I will retest on my Vista development machine. Neither of the errors you describe I can reproduce with XP.

Come back later.

Ohhh - I forgot a check when I wrote the code :rolleyes:

Can you please verify if the mdl files where you see the error are read-only? I can reproduce the error message when I change the file attribute.

Thank you.

It gets worse Martin.

One of the aircraft which I attempted to modify the atc_parking_types now has duplicate title= lines :eek:

In fact it has overwritten [fltsim.5] with [fltsim.0]

Before:

[fltsim.5]
title=AI Cessna C208B VHUZB
sim=ai cessna c208b
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Jetcraft VHUZB
checklists=
kb_checklists=
ui_manufacturer=Cessna C208B
ui_type=Jetcraft
ui_variation=Jetcraft VH-UZB
atc_heavy=0
atc_id=
atc_airline=JETCRAFT
atc_flight_number=
atc_parking_codes=JCC
atc_parking_types=RAMP
description=AI Cessna C208B Grand Caravan by Henry Tomkiewicz

After:

[fltsim.5]
title=AI Cessna C208B Hinterland VHCVN
sim=ai cessna c208b
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Jetcraft VHUZB
checklists=
kb_checklists=
ui_manufacturer=Cessna C208B
ui_type=Hinterland
ui_variation=Hinterland VHCVN
atc_heavy=0
atc_id=
atc_airline=JETCRAFT
atc_flight_number=
atc_parking_types=RAMP
description=AI Cessna C208B Grand Caravan by Henry Tomkiewicz

Edit. This was the model which didn't give an error when updating.

Last edited:
George,

I have solved the error with the model size radius. That was not caused by a real error but it was a rogue error message (the procedure should have exit before the message is displayed but didn't).

This other report sounds bad. Can you tell me what you have done?

This other report sounds bad. Can you tell me what you have done?
All I did was change the parking types and update. Fortunately I have another copy on my Vista machine so I could see the difference before/after.

Martin

I do not have read only attributes for my files. If Vista sets one of their files to read only that's fine but all my files never have read only set.

Martin

I do not have read only attributes for my files. If Vista sets one of their files to read only that's fine but all my files never have read only set.

Jim,

This error message was fired because of a coding error of mine. There was no error with saving the changes, I just did not exit the procedure before the error trapping code.

All I did was change the parking types and update. Fortunately I have another copy on my Vista machine so I could see the difference before/after.

This is what beta tests are for ;)

George, aside from cleaning up the code regarding the erratic error message I found nothing what could have caused your last report. Can you please try to reproduce this error (and confirm that the other has gone). The Download Link in post 1 has been updated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hey Martin,

first many thanks for this tool.

Could you use a ComboBox to atc_parking_codes, based to a file like "parkingSpecs.dat" by Jon for ADE?

Regards

Horst