• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

BGL -> AC: inverted axes and other problems

Country
italy
Hello, thanks for the fast approval!

I downloaded a few days ago the development version of MCX. I'm trying to improve a bit my area in FlightGear and it was a great find! The batch converter is a precious thing and I'm experimenting with it.

However I'm having a couple of problems. One is with axes, I've read about that on the blog. I had a hard time figuring out, but Y and Z seem to be inverted in AC3D (at least the vertical one), although in FG they're fine. Almost. That is, they're not upside down, but they're on a perpendicular direction (I haven't tested a lot, I rely on your experience to fill the gaps).

If I flip things so that they're correct in AC3D, they're messed up in FG. That is, direction is correct, but they're twisted inside out and upside down.

Note that models designed in AC3D look the same as in FG.

Here's an FSX model I used (comes from here). There are three models inside Ancona1/Cattedrale Ancona FSX/scenery/AnconaLib.bgl. Two of them, apart from the flipped axes, look ok. The other, Cattedrale16.ac, seems to have issues with textures. In AC3D it's all black, but I can see the alpha shape of the trees, so the texture is loaded. In FG it's invisible.

One last thing. One of the models I used is scaled up by x10, so I needed to apply 0.1 to the "scale" operator, but it only accepts integers.

If you need more tests let me know!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

In the options there is a setting for the up axis you want to use (y or z). I think if you change that it should export them differently.

Where are you scaling? In the scale object form you can type any value.

Country
italy
Hi,

In the options there is a setting for the up axis you want to use (y or z). I think if you change that it should export them differently.

Where are you scaling? In the scale object form you can type any value.
Hello,
I just tried to change that option, both doing a single import/export, and using the batch converter. It makes no difference. However, to be clear, the problem is not that Y and Z are one in place of the other. The problem is that Y and Z in AC3D have both the wrong sign... and that flipping them in AC3D fixes the problem in AC3D, but makes them messed (in a worse way) in FG. Things are a bit involved and I find it hard to explain the situation.

Basically however the problem is that an object looks in a way in MCX, then I convert it and it appears in a different way in AC3D, and in one more in FG, when they should all look the same. Editing then becomes quite painful. Moving vertices has not the same effect as moving the whole object, or the whole group, so as I need to split every building/vehicle/furniture*, it goes with a lot of trial and error and redo from scratch.

(I don't know if this is normal for what I'm doing or if this is a limitation of AC3D, or just the fact that I lack the experience - and confidence with linear algebra. I'm almost done, but if I knew earlier what I was going to face I'd have given up.)

Regarding the scaling, I'm referring to the "scale" operator in the batch converter (sorry, actually it's a lot of objects I need to scale, not just one).

* FG scenery can change elevation data, and airports are sloped, so objects must be split and not assume they're all on the same flat level.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Those different axes systems can be annoying. ModelConverterX uses a right handed axes system where z is up. Fs uses a left handed axes system where y is up.

Do you know what FG expects? Then I can check if the export is correct now.

Why it's different in ac3d again I don't know.

Let me check the scale in the batch operator, but it should be a double.

Country
italy
I'm back with an experiment. I created a cube, textured its faces with AC3d axes directions and spawned it into FG. I did that in a couple random places to be sure.

+X points SOUTH
+Y points UP
+Z points WEST

As of the difference in AC3D and FG, I think they have a different interpretation of relative coordinates, when a group/subgroup/object has a "loc" line set. In fact, if from "hierarchy view" I move an object out of a displaced group, in AC3D it stays where it is even after reloading the file, in FG its positions become relative to the new parent. (which is quite weird, because I couldn't find how AC3D, or FG, remember the old position)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Interesting. I think fs uses x as east, y as up and z as north. So there seems to be a difference indeed. I probably export to ac3d with the wrong axes.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Sorry I forgot to look further into this. I should add it to my bug list.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I feel a bit ashamed to bump this old thread, but I happened to run into this thread today and I have just fixed this issue (I hope). The axes used should be aligned with FlightGear now. Sorry for the looooong delay :)