FSXA big wheels won't start turnin' new country tune?

Did this once and all went well. After that this is whathappens: front wheels turn, back wheels do not... until I get up a bit of speed then back wheels catch up andturn nicely.

Making a bagage truck as a plane. Used r_tirestill, l-tire still and also the blurred ones.

I do not animate the still tires (it does say key frame 100)
I DO animate the blurried tires key frames = 100 Set key at 0, 100, 200, & 300. All looks well in FSDS then I get the above result. Did this last week and it worked fine. Now I can't get it right to save my butt!!!
I am not clicking on ambient. I am not animating the still tires. FSDS 3.5.1 Bob

n4gix

Resource contributor
"Still wheels" aren't actually still...

They too must be keyframe animated from 0 - 100.

N4Gix-- Party pooper! I was afraid of that! hahahaha! so- I have my blurred at 0, 100, 200, and 300.
So I should do my stills the same keys?

Also- I'm up in the air so I have to correct this in MCX. is that because i am aliasing(if that's the term) to a Cessna? This is a little bagage car - like a small pick up. The car also tilts up in the front until it gets going. A firend of mine say we can change the 'load' in the config of my new "aircraft".

Last.... Should I make my blurred slightly bigger than my stills? ... Or it won't matter because I will be key framing my stills also? Questions, questions, Enquiering minds wan.... never mind! ;) Thanx for the quickly reply. bob

n4gix

Resource contributor
Wheels/tires should be identical size.
Frames are only 0 to 100
So key's are required at
0 - 25 - 50 - 75 - 100

You are 'up in the air' because of the contact points. You need to edit them to lower the vehicle to ground contact.

Guess I have to go somewhere else to find out how to adjust the contact points? 0-25-50-75-100 .... 5 keys. whre as 0-25-50-75 will take me full circle. ??? guess I'm gittin' there.

n4gix

Resource contributor
0 to 25 = 90º
25 to 50 = 90º
50 to 75 = 90º
75 to 100 = 90º
Total = 360º
Code:
[contact_points]
point.0 = 1,  0.90,  0.00, -4.09, 1500, 0, 0.5, 22.0, 0.25,2.5, 0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 0
point.1 = 1, -4.70, -4.50, -4.01, 3500, 1, 0.5,  0.0, 0.3, 2.5, 0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 2
point.2 = 1, -4.70,  4.50, -4.01, 3500, 2, 0.5,  0.0, 0.3, 2.5, 0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 3
The above are the contact points for the C172.
point.0 is the nosewheel and it is set to be -4.09' from the centerpoint of the C172 model's origin point
point.1 is the left main wheel and is set to be -4.01' from the centerpoint of the C172 model's origin point
point.2 is the right main wheel and is set to be -4.01' from the centerpoint of the C172 model's origin point

These "negative distances" are measured from the model's 0,0,0 origin point to the bottom of the tire's surface (ground level of course!). They are "negative" because they are below the aircraft. Just play with these three numbers (make 'em smaller) until the tire(s) sit on the ground flush.

just figured it out 0 and 100 are repeated. works well. The contact point info is helpful. Do i need to shift the load in my "plane" to more foreard? I notice though it was on the ground after MCX nose was tips up a bit. Bob (will do - thanx)

Hi Bob,
I happen to know that you are speaking of a ground vehicle. So start with a ground vehicle aircraft.cfg. Then, depending on the use, adapt the contact points or the mdl center point. That will make it a lot easier because you do not have to adapt that many things in the aircraft.cfg.
When you use an aircraft.cfg of a ground vehicle (not a sim one but one with an aircraft.cfg) you will find that the reference point in the aircraft.cfg (called static_cg_height) is the center of your model according to the aircraft.cfg. But if your model is not at that elevation, it will float in the air unless you change that entry in your aircraft.cfg to match the height in your model (you can do that by checking it in MCX).
The same goes for the static pitch and the contact points.
As for the loads, if you use a ground vehicle aircraft.cfg that will probably not interfere with anything.
In short, you either adapt your model or you change your aircraft.cfg.
Wish I would be a better teacher;).

All well and good. Not experienced wit messing with contact points so I'll leave that to others. I'd have that thing up side down with wheels spinning and taking off! ;) Anyway. It is on the gorund or so close you can't tell. Wheels spin beautifully. Trans glass looks great. I e-mailed about a pic of the police car. no answer yet. Bob

Bill- or anyone. Can't remember how but I would like those wheels to rotate more slowly. do I increase the numbers between 0 and 100 or decrease?

As a refresher, I am animating wheels for a bagage car, running around an airport. Right now I have the animationi at 0-25-50-75-100.
They seem to turn a bit fast. I would like to slow them down around half that speed or so.

-----------

Experimenting.... trying out an idea. back later. Bob

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

In the vehicle's sim.cfg file is a Contact Points section. Inside that is a wheel_radius line. Increase that number to slow the rate of rotation.

Hope his helps,

TGib- Good idea to remember if one has no access to the original program to change the speed of rotation. In this case I did slow the animation. What I am dealing with now is how to get the brakes fromSLAMMING on and skidding the ai to a stop.
I was given this.... (>K:ANTISKID_BRAKES_TOGGLE) but I still need to know 1. WHERE to put this, 2. does this include the ( ) or not, 3. does this include the |>| sign?
I.e. does this go somewhere in the aircraft.cfg or in FSX.cfg? or Where? Bob

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

That XML code would go into the XML parts file controlling that object. It would include everything you typed. I know nothing about adding extra animation code to ground vehicles in FSX, so I can't help more than that.

Pardon my ignorance on thhis but looking at the file- in this case it is a luggage truck, I see a model file, texture folders, aircraft cfg, air file, no xml file.

tgibson

Resource contributor
The XML file is in GMAX 3DS, or FSDS - whatever program is used to create the object. In GMAX for FS9 it's called makemdl.parts.xml. It has other names in other programs and SDK's.

Howdi Bob,

Sorry, just came back from tennis.
Ground vehicles that are AI have an aircraft.cfg that allows you to change a lot of things (Even sim.cfg's can include more options than the ones you see in the veh_xxx folders).
I have not heard of an xml for an AI or pilotable aircraft/boat or vehicle either. Tom must have interpreted your question wrong (unless he is going to tell me something I did not know and he did:eek:).
Presuming (because I have not had the time to find out) you have a vehicle with animated wheels, maybe it helps if you go to the aircraft.cfg and look at the contact points section:
//0 Class ( 1 = Wheel, 2 = Scrape, 3 = Skid, 4 = Float, 5 = Water Rudder)
//1 Longitudinal Position (feet)
//2 Lateral Position (feet)
//3 Vertical Position (feet)
//4 Impact Damage Threshold (Feet Per Minute)
//5 Brake Map (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)
//6 Wheel Radius (feet)
//7 Steer Angle (degrees)
//8 Static Compression (feet) (0 if rigid)
//9 Max/Static Compression Ratio
//10 Damping Ratio (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped)
//11 Extension Time (seconds)
//12 Retraction Time (seconds)
//13 Sound Type
[contact_points]
//------- 0------1----2------3--- -4-- --5----6-----7-----8----9----10---11---12---13
point.0 = 1, 2.33, -2.61, -2.15, 2500, 1, 0.5, 180.0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 0
point.1 = 1, 2.33, 2.61, -2.15, 2500, 2, 0.5, 180.0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 0
point.2 = 1, -2.11, -2.61, -2.15, 2500, 1, 0.5, 0.0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 0
point.3 = 1, -2.11, 2.61, -2.15, 2500, 2, 0.5, 0.0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 0
point.4 = 2, 5.00, 0.00, 0.0, 2500, 0, 0.0, .0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0
point.5 = 2, -5.00, 0.00, 0.0, 2500, 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0
point.6 = 2, 0.00, -5.00, 0.0, 2500, 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0
point.7 = 2, 0.00, 5.00, 0.0, 2500, 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0
Check the brake map in column 5 if the 4 wheels have brakes (left front, right front, rear left, rear right).
Then go further down to the [brakes] section and see what it says there:
[brakes]
parking_brake = 1 //Parking brake available
toe_brakes_scale = 0.7 //Brake scalar
and if the vehicle skids to a halt, reduce the brake scalar further and if then it still does, than my idea is worthless:D.
In that case perhaps it is because it is a taxiing AI although I never thought of looking if this happens to AI aircraft as well (or not) or because you still have to do something about the animation.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
@robystar - static_cg_height does not affect the height above ground the model will 'float' at. It is how high above the ground the model first appears in the sim and after that FSX gravity takes over until the contact points er, make contact. Just for fun, make the static height a couple of thousand feet and see how long the model takes to fall and smash on the ground.

No, Tom, but it does influence the height at which it sits at when in slew mode (and smashes to the ground when you go out of slew mode).
Hence my suggestion to adapt the cg height in the cfg to the cg height of the model. Bill explained the rest in the example for a c172.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Yes, it appears I did misunderstand (I thought the OP was talking about creating ramp vehicles), but the same thing applies to an aircraft.cfg file - you change the rate of rotation by changing the wheel radius value in the contact points section.

I assume the speed of rotation I did seemed fine last time I tweaked it. It's just the brakes slamming on and the vehicle coming to a screeching halt we were concerned about. I was given a tag to enter but didn't know where to enter it. Then I was told to add it to the xml file of the model. I cannot find any xml in the model.