FSXA big wheels won't start turnin' new country tune?

tgibson

Resource contributor
As I said, the xml file is NOT part of the model (or found anywhere around it). It is located within the program folder for the aircraft creation program (FSDS, GMAX, etc.). This is rather advanced, and backups of this file should be made.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

You are probably using it without knowing it. It provides all the FSX animations for XtoMDL.exe, which compiles your objects.

Tom- I see in my generated model an accompanying xml file. I guess I make the entry there, but how does that affect the model I generated with FSDS? Wouldn't I have to do something with that xml file and regenerate the mdl?
Only way I can think of right now is gen the xml to a bgl, decompile the bgl , find the model therein and use that?

At this time I do not see any way to get at the xml file and enter that toggle THEN generate the mdl. That would be ideal. Bob

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

No, the accompanying XML file is to place the object that you already created. The XML file I'm talking about is used DURING the creation of the MDL file. Completely different and separate XML files.

Assuming you are compiling to FSX, the file I'm talking about is in this folder (your root folder name will be different):

FSX SDK/SDK/Environment Kit/Modeling SDK/bin/modeldef.xml

This is assuming that FSDS uses the same file as GMAX does (which I assume it does, since it uses the same compiler). But this could be incorrect.

This file is difficult to edit without a lot of knowledge, just a warning.

Last edited:
Bob,

Now you are confusing the modeldef.xml with the placement xml. You enter the lat lon cords in the placement.xml, not in the modeldef.xml.
Attached is an example of a modeldef.xml (had to make a txt extension to be able to upload it).

Attachments

We will talk about this in the AM. I am getting bits of info and left hanging. First a tag. not told where to put it or what to do with it. Then told to put it in the xml. Which one? etcetera. I appreciate all the help, but we are assuming I am at the same or near the same level as the folks here on this subject. Never assume what the student knows. Now where is the placement xml? Again.... I appreciate the help given, but it is confusing.

tgibson

Resource contributor
When you create an MDL file, an XML is created with the same name. This is the placement XML file, which can place the object somewhere in the world.

When you are building an object in FSDS, you use the modeldef.xml file (or the XML file that FSDS uses, if different) to specify custom animations for the object.

The reason I haven't given you any help with the code itself is I don't create much for FSX, and have never used that variable.

Thanx. I'll work on all this. This was supposed to be an ai baggage car, running around an airport here and there. Maybe someday we can find out how to make that ground guide who dances to the Macarena! Seen that? Bob