• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Black lines have appeared next to some gauges

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi all,

So there I was not hurting anyone making my 2d Panels and changed a few gauges and they have a single black line down the right hand side. Oh must have not been proper black I thought so change bmp make sure all transparent and still they are there.
I tried enlarge bmp with fresh black backgound but they are still there. Just wondered if anyone had come across this before only on certain gauges not everyone. Pick below showing them I placed yello lines so you could see easly.

Cheers
Matt

Ps panel not finished so please ignore off gauge out of place

C0hrlI4.png

Country
us-wisconsin
I can bet that if you take a gauge bitmap (sacrificial) that is affected, reduce it to 256 colors then modify the palette so that color 0,0,0 is now red (or other bright color) you will find that some remnants of a lighter shade of black is present.
It also looks like the affect gauges may be using masks too. Check those too, you should have only 2 colors in the mask - 0,0,0 & 1,1,1. Use the same procedure to check except make 2 bright colors. 0,0,0 becomes red, 1,1,1 becomes yellow.
In either of the bitmaps you will find the leftover black remnants.

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
Somewhat counter-intuitive but it often works; if any of those bitmaps are already 8-bit, convert to 24-bit and then back to 8-bit again. Also, try leaving them as 24-bit and let FSX/P3D do the colour conversion. Lastly, when converting from 24-bit to 8-bit, uncheck 'Force black and white'. Just don't ask me why the above work.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Yep, some BMP formats will do that. I keep mine at 24 bit.

Country
us-wisconsin
Yeah.. Above was just a test to find where the black shading comes into play. Hence "sacrificial".
Of course, once found, make the mods in 24 bit, keeping them as 24 bit. Going back and forth between bit levels will do nothing but degrade the final bmp.

Country
unitedkingdom
HI all thanks for all you help I have double checked all bmps and background and mask are all correct all gauges are 24bit.
I did a test planel with interesting result it appears the black lines appear after a certain size. Except for the flaps which as a gauge I had and working and modified and then got the line.
I have attached the test planel below so you can see and the gauge sizes in the text.

But I think I might have to build them all again bugger had nearly finished.

Cheers
Matt

OzqWK8x.png

Country
unitedkingdom
ps just incase I am going crazy this is the fuel flow bmp straight from the gauge

b36w9sx.png

Country
unitedkingdom
Update I have fixed I think it must have been the bmps. I created a few pixels larger painted black and then copied gauge face and removed some of the bezel and both speed temp and fuel flow now appear without the lines. Just seems weird I am using paint.net which up until now seemed pretty good at highlighting the colors. Oh well cant afford paintshop anyway and would take ages to learn it. And at least this way I don't have re program the gauges.

Thanks a million as always

Cheers
Matt

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
Be aware that if you leave your bitmaps at 24-bit it will drastically increase the size of the finished gauge. Also, if any of the bmps have a gradient in them, P3D will screw them over big time. DAMHIK.