Blender 2.8 - how make LODs?

I'm looking to find out how to make LODs with Blender 2.8. I used ModelConverterX (image is attached) to make LODs (shown in the attached image) and saved as Collada. In Blender 2.8, when I imported the Collada file I saw that the LODs were in a group called nodes. The question is "how to create this structure of nodes and LODs with Blender 2.8"? Thanks for any advise. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Hello...

Actually what you need to add as the parent for each LOD as an empty node under that "empty" should be for that LOD, I believe. For example, the parent empty node for LOD 100. Everything under that LOD 100 should be the full scale of your model. and then LOD 50 or 60 (whatever you choose as the next step down). This would continue until you come to LOD 0 (which in most cases, be empty except for the empty node.

Hopefully, that isn't confusing ;).

This is not at all confusing for me, at least in theory. It's the way that I make LODs in 3ds Max. The difference is in the terminology. Where you say "empty node", in 3ds Max it is a "dummy" object. I'm a beginner in Blender and my desperation is just not knowing how to create a node and how to link the LODs hierarchically to this node. I will continue browsing the internet looking for a tip.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Hello...

You should be able to move the group link manually into the group or "undo" CTRL+Z (unless you have re-saved etc). Other than that though,... to add an "empty" node (techincally, its an empty polygon "Cube"). (see picture.)

adding an Empty.png

Empty icon! That's it! Now I got it! The Lods worked in flight simulator Prepar3d v4.5. Thanks a lot.

I made three different geometrical figures for each lod. To check visually (in a easy way) if they were working.

Attachments

Last edited:
I used modelconverterx again to export in x-plane's obj format. In X-Plane 11 only the object of the lod_40 is showing at any distance. It is already a starting point, because this is a subject for another topic at MCX or X-Plane here on the forum. I consider this topic closed for me. Bye, folks and thanks again.

Attachments